The Official Work Pictures Thread

Ha! First picture is like "that's just a normal tree, not much DBH". Second pict is "whoa!" That's a serious tree.

What is that contraption on your left wrist?

Finished up for now with a job that has dragged a bit. Add ons that sorta swirled the project up a bit rather than being straight forward. Prettied the dogwood bed up, scheduled for anthracnose spraying next spring. Lawn needs de compacting and watering. Build up a bid of a soil mount over a Doug fir I felled.
ze3yza4e.jpg
ydubusyn.jpg

Finished fencing the orchard area. The existing apple tree, after all was said and done, seems to be 75% root stock, with lots of apples. Don't know what they are like. One apple on the headstock. Trained with cords, and better supported for the fruit load with props. It had been resting on a wire cage which it had overgrown. The roots should be strong, the one headstock lead can be developed, and the root stock progressively eliminated if the fruit is unpalatable.

Had to do my second 'cold patch' for asphalt, which I did hot. This was a crumbled driveway edge under the chip truck tire, from trying to back up to dump diagonally.

Good stuff BOTS big tree.

Heavy, heavy trucks Sean, looking good buddy.

Gary, the thing on the wrist is a remote for GoPro camera.

Easy job today. This tree tipped last year and the owner wanted to know if it could be saved. I had him soak the ground last night, set up a 5:1 this morning and let him pull it up.

IMG_3431.jpg

IMG_3432.jpg

IMG_3438.jpg

IMG_3441.jpg

10-4 on GoPro control...thx.

Good work on the un-tipped tree...looks good, bet the HO loved it.

I like your anchor, too.

Thanks. There was nothing solid to anchor to, except two wobbly fence posts, neither of which was "inline" of the pull direction I wanted. So the first job was to beef up the posts.

Excellent job, very cagey what with the presoaking, the beefing of the posts, letting the custy pull, etc.

"It takes yearrrrrrrs."

A little different job for us at the one of the local Universities. This is a courtyard area with limited access for equipment, the trees where 13' down in a windowed well with only access from above.

One of the trees had a pretty good leader over the edge so we used that as the rigging point and using the capstan winch on the skid-steer we lifted out all the trunk sections. Just put mats against the windows and the brush and logs were all winched out.

For the last stem I just put the grapple over the rail lifted the mid-tied pieces with the winch to where I could grab them with the grapple and then lifted them out.

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1736.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

120' white pine growing out over a lake. Retaining wall between the tree and the water. Set a line from top of tree to another tree 100 feet away and set a pulley on that line, about 25 feet back behind the pine so that wood could be lowered down into the yard and not over the water. Speed lining wouldn't have worked too well. Hard to explain the layout of where the house was and the room between the house and the neighbor. Wood got dumped into the lake inside the buoys. Used a boat, lashed several logs together at a time and dragged them 1/4 mile down to a beach area (sort of) and used a loader to pull them up out. Day and a half. Fun experience I guess.

Honestly, it wasn't all that bad. Ive dealt with worse on the lakes around here. Lots of vacation lakes here, and most houses are downhill from the road or driveway. The roads are ALWAYS tight. I used to bite into a lot of headache lake trees on the water, often for less then they were worth, because I used to get my rocks off in saying "We did it". I wised up over time and if I cant get out of them every penny of what they are worth, I wont touch them. I wish I had pictures of some of the jobs. Some of these docks are down 5 or 6 flights of steps from the driveway and we've carried many many trees up many many stairs to get them out. The flip side of the coin is that if you can put high dollars on them and still get them. A lot of tree companies wont touch them. Cranes are out of the question most of the time. Tight roads, very unstable edges on the roads that no crane op will set his outriggers down on, and always wires where the crane needs to set up. Three strikes. The lake jobs usually boil down to strong backs and lots of Gatorade. This one you see was really no biggie. No one left tired or miserable. Figure the wood didn't get man handled. Bombed in the lake on tag lines, pulled to the edge with poles with hook heads on them, and taken to a loader with a boat. The brush was no worse than any other job. The flag stone patio around the tree didn't have to be babied because the tree is coming down so they can have a wood decked patio built. The logs dropped straight into the water. As the tree shrank and the wood got fat, Jerry's salami cut made sliding the wood outward away from the retaining wall and into the lake very easy. When the bole got too short to make the slide out into the water, we whacked a few rounds down onto the flagstone and that was the end. A little raking and that was the end.

You been slaying any trees lately MB? Can you run the show for Mike while he is down for surgery and recovery or what?

Back