The Official Work Pictures Thread

Hey dont laugh man! I was groomed (yelled at) from a young age to stop and take a 15 to 20 minute break. My dad got tired of cleaning the floors of the tractors from people eating on the go. He would tell us "Damnit! I am tired of sweeping out chips and wiping out coffee!" So, we take breaks.

I used to work with a guy that would always bring a hammock to the job. It looked cozier than stretching out on the ground. Sometimes if we were falling a bunch of trees, we would joke about it, ask which trees shoud we leave for after lunch so you can string your hammock? He would contemplate it. Some farmers here can be super cool to work for at their places, they know about working in the heat, so they will want to set up some electric fans to blow cold air over you while you stretch out after lunch, and mats to use. One place really sticks out in my mind, the young and attractive son's daughter brought out ice cream and gave us home squeezed apple juice to take home. Nice folks, to say the least. I think we stretched out lunch a bit that day, nobody wanted to be the first to stand up.

I eat a stout breakfast... it holds me. However, I keep beef jerky on my truck at all times.

There is no way I could make it through a day of logging without eating.
As a matter of fact, productivity and the size of the lunch bag is co-related.
We stop for ½ hr at 9.30 and again at noon.
Those are also part of our safety checks on each other, so no-one will have to lie stuck under a log for more than a couple of hours at most.

On residential jobs we eat when it fits into the work, but I don't burn near as much fuel climbing.

I stop at 10 for a quick break & a snack followed by a small lunch @ 12ish. Not a lot of food as I have a huge breakfast, but I cannot concentrate or function when too hungry.

I have to eat regularly or I get very grumpy.

Did a job with Ed years ago in North Wales, middle of nowhere. Three of us on the job, none of us had brought so much as a crumb. Got to about 2 pm and the customer made us a pot of coffee and brought out a tiny plate of home made fudge. The three of us stared at it like starving hyenas eying up a wounded mouse. Not sure whether I felt better after eating it or worse.

During breaks drinking canned coffee is a big practice, you can buy it hot or cold for a buck or so. There is black and with cream and sugar. Everyone pretty much goes for it, but to me the black is bitter and the sweet stuff is like drinking syrup. I'll have one once-in-awhile, usually to be sociable.. It does give a little jolt.

Attachments

• 310.jpg
    310.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 66
Since meeting Carl, lunch has become a regular for me. I went up a large water oak last Friday, however, at a few minutes before 9:00....and my feet hit the ground at 4:10. One bottle of water and one can of Dr. Pepper during that 7+ hour climb. I was ready for supper when I got home.....

I was sucking down a full thermos of that size, at least, after drinking morning coffees 2-3 cups when I was at the State. I got down to 2 cups a day at one point, then Dahlia came along.

Food is so important. Here, we can get food delivered residentially, often times, if needed. As the owner, I can see that if people are dragging from lack of food, it would be cheaper for me to order a pizza than have everyone drag, potentially get hurt or break things as a result of hypoglycemia.

I used to 'bonk' really bad. When I eat more Zone Diet/ Paleo stye 40 percent calories from carbs, 30% each fat and protein, I do SOOOO much better. Low, simple carbs, low sugar. I eat the shit out of Balance bars 0.99 at Trader Joes. TOO many.

We always make time to eat....not just to put fuel in the tank, but to escape from treework for a short time. Talk about anything but. When its time to work we work hard, but it's good to break up by he monotony of it too. At least once several times a month we'll go for Thai food or a sit-in diner. And why not !

I think wood chippers are one of the worst contraptions for noise fatigue around. Most of the tree guys I've worked with stopped a couple of times a day. Usually when it worked out. Waiting for an empty chip truck or whatever.

Back