The Official Work Pictures Thread

Exactly!
It is a rental, unfortuately.
When we started doing this, we had no idea there was going to be a second storm before we had finished clening up after the first one, or we would have bought a loader instead of renting one.It would have paid for itself.
Well, 20/20 hindsight is always easy.

Ed, the bigger stuff wil be salvaged for milling, the rest will become biomass.
We will be asked to cut it free for the mechanical harvesters to handle, but will have to decline, since we'll start hardwood logging after x-mas.
We already cut few 1000 cubic meters free, just enough to make Martin, the apprentice, confident about working blowdown.
That is the only reason we resceduled some other work, in order to free-cut. Because it was an unique opportunity for him to learn.
T'was great to see him going from wetting his pants from fear to total confidence in his ability to read bind in 2 weeks:)
Free-cutting stormthrown timber is one job that will kill you fast, if you don't know how. Particularly the thinner flexile stuff like doug fir. Grand fir will usually break if under enough enough tension.

Boned out a couple pines near a home the other day with BOTS. The home owner took these awesome pics, he's pro!

qpbq.jpg

7jqu.jpg

6b2h.jpg

yiuw.jpg

Those turned out nice Brian!! bang up job man, you killed it!!...fun job, thanks for having me climb pine and oak :thumbup:

Removing 2 large limbs on a black oak, first time using HH and HAAS (insert grin here)

My Top view after taking out top... nice sunny day!

What is the orange line in the 3rd picture, on the pine spar? Did you mark it for log / pulpwood length?

Alex and I have done 3 loads of wood now for saw logs and/or pulpwood. He recently added a third axle to our trailer and we can handle the weight now. We don't get much for a trailer load ($40 to $70 so far) but it beats burning it...also means the wood isn't wasted but something useful comes from it. I am learning to see spars in a whole different light now...used to be I only saw 20" - 24" chunks.

We are learning to mark the spar as it is climbed and drop sections based on best use for the woodyard. (and now it matters about where the spar hits...across a stump has already cracked a good piece).

How do you guys mark a spar on the way up to top it? I have been taking a 30 foot tape and Alex eyeballs the end of the hanging tape while I make it at 18'6" or 20' or whatever works best.

Tips?

Attachments

• trailer-loghauling_001.jpg
    trailer-loghauling_001.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 76
  • trailer-loghauling_002.jpg
    trailer-loghauling_002.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 76
  • trailer-loghauling_003.jpg
    trailer-loghauling_003.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 76
A logger tape works good, thats what Brian uses on his way up the spar, then spray paint mark, repete

I mark as I ascend, using my chainsaw.

He packs a can of spray paint with him? Not me. I had to do enough of that back in the days of painting cuts.

Tell me about it. I was in corrosion control in the Navy, and I damaged my lungs more than once working inside an A-7's intake duct. Stupid me, not wearing a mask! And the stupid Navy! Not making me wear one... I bet they do nowadays.

You had a spray can? We had the old paint pot that lost it's lid and brush about once a week when you had it hanging upside down against your pant leg. A real mess.

I used both in the 70's when I started tree work mess...hated the paint...and flush cuts...there is still some black on my three strand manila downstairs.

Removing 2 large limbs on a black oak, first time using HH and HAAS (insert grin here)

My Top view after taking out top... nice sunny day!

Is that the AFS from wesspur in the last pic? How's it holding up? I was looking at that but I thought stable braid wasn't very abrasion resistant so I wasn't sure how it'd hold up

Is that the AFS from wesspur in the last pic? How's it holding up? I was looking at that but I thought stable braid wasn't very abrasion resistant so I wasn't sure how it'd hold up

Yes it is, its holding up great....I have a 8ft one and had wesspur custom me a 4ft one for the smaller trees (in last pic)

1/2in Stable Braid seems to be very abrasion resistance, I use it for rigging all the time, no problems so far

The FS that Nice Guy Dave made for me (real shorty) is holding up real well. Been over a year I think. Not that I use it every day, but it comes out of the kit to play more than not.

Skinny twins today...... Kilt it and and another..... Some silly fodder while playing about.

Attachments

• IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 107
Sorry guys been out for a few weeks had a family emergency that took me away (no internet) at grandma's. All is well she had a fall and a mild stroke we moved her to mom's. She's 98 yrs old. finally put down her stubberness and proud ways to let us help her.
How is everybody else. Hope your holidays are grand

New video with limited footage Hope you like it

Its short and sweet video, right to the point
Video I put together over the last few weeks.
Only had my laptop and the video footage stored on it.
The rest was at home on my computer hope you like it.
Very limited.no internet. But it was cool spent time with mom and great grandma!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-RJOw8Pe7KY

Back