The Official Work Pictures Thread

Jay, you probably couldn't tell, but I made a deep, respectful bow in your direction after seeing those pictures.

RESPECT!!!

Looks unnecessary to me. Cottonwood is not especially strong so why bother weakening the sides to prevent tearing. When I think "nipping the sides" I think of something like a hickory top that needs to be completely severed as it is going over for safety to prevent the sides of that tough wood from ripping down and trying to f up you and your lanyard. The face in the picture looks like a typical logger face which is the background Squish is from afaik. Faces cut by loggers, at least in trees that aren't huge, tend to be smaller cuz loggers are cutting so many trees per day they do the minimum cutting necessary on each tree, afaik

No nipping of the sides was done for the reasons mentioned this double was crispy. Also the only reason the face was made that small was due to it being a real awkward spot to cut in as evidenced by the dangling wobbly dead branch springboard that you can see in the pics. The butt already lying on the ground is more typical of the hinge depth that we aim for.

Glad I could stir up some discussion.

Brendon it was a huge mess. The people have a large enough property there they can burn and their own tractor. So that combined with some sweat saved them a lot of money.

Yeah Cory, insightful post. Jerry's book does show some rather large forest trees with narrow faces. Often with a snipe, though.

Jay, I buy 5 meter rolls of LED lights. I cut lengths and solder them to plug connectors and mount them (3M - adhesive-backed) to pieces of aluminum. I use a small UR/CE rated transformer which mounts easily under the upper cabinet skirt, out of sight. The LEDs come in 24 or 48 watt, 12 volt, and are dimmable. There is a dimmer I buy that looks like an iPod nano. Touch it quickly to turn them on or off, hold your finger on it and it will cycle from dim to bright , touch and hold again to cycle back to dim, releasing when the desired brightness is achieved. I'll have to visit the two kitchens I recently installed them in and take my Contour Roam to grab a video.
I use sections of 5/16" diameter brass tubing, and mount them behind the front edge of the upper cabinets and wire them to the dimmer, so no matter where you are standing you can easily reach up and turn them on or off and dim them.

That seems like a real good system, Patrick. I first wanted to go with the roll of lights that you describe, but couldn't find the dimmable type over here. The roll type do give you a lot of options. i don't quite understand how you wire the brass tubing for a switch, a vid would be cool. One thing about the system that I am waiting for is that the dimmer switch, one pushbutton for on and off and held down to change intensiity, is enclosed in a steel tube, so I'm pretty sure I can just drill a hole in a shaped piece of walnut and maybe mount it on a base, therefore have something fairly attractive there sitting alongside the alter. I was hoping to avoid plastic if possible. Thanks for elaborating.

Some from yesterday and today. Had some bad storms roll through over the weekend, so we've spent the last few days cleansing stuff up. This was the biggest, big Hackberry, took out a fence and power lines.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378255999.115352.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378256016.932594.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378256029.988799.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378256041.443981.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378256051.710390.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378256061.908375.jpg

Dad actually climbed part of it, the final cut to release the trunk, he got his 200 and handsaw stuck. Ended up having to push up on the trunk partly with the gehl so he could pull them out.

Back