The Official Work Pictures Thread

This was in an area of Ledreborg castle park that abounds the surrounding forests.
A bunch of the former owners have been buried there over the last centuries.
It marks one of the graves.
Whacking it with a tree, even a descendant from Yggdrasil, would not be good.

Haha, no doubt.

I'm envious of the remnants of history or the art that you happen upon in your workday. It makes me think of the forests that you work in like a kid might think of a wardrobe whose false back opens to reveal C.S Lewis' Narnia. One day I'd like to visit the land of my ancestors. It would be neat to find the farmhouse where my grandfather used to live.

There is a stone marker near my shop that sits on the edge of a rice field, nothing around but other rice fields. During WW2, a US plane flew over and dropped a bomb, killed a few farmers, so some people decided to put up a historical not to forget. I go by there a lot, and always wonder why anyone would think to drop a bomb on a few individuals, presumably working in a field, far far from any factories or possible war related installations, it makes no sense. Other than that, no bombs were dropped in the area to wipe out rice or vegetables. Not that far away from where they were here and there digging up Pine trees to process the sap for fuel, could that have had something to do with it? Maybe the bomb just fell out on the way to an important mission? Wonder if there might somewhere be a record in US archives explaining the incident? Too bad for the farmers.

When an emergency occurs in mid-air, pilots are trained to drop any ordnance they may have on board. It's unfortunate for those on the ground, but this practice is critical to saving pilots and, more importantly, preserving the evidence at the scene of a crash, so as to allow investigators to find the cause of the plane's malfunction. Should that bomb go off after the crash, it would be nearly impossible to discover what caused the malfunction, which would result in even greater loss of pilots and equipment.

Hope this helps.

Joel C

Thanks, Joel, that might explain it. Are pilots generally required to make a record of when they jettison bombs?

Yes. An after-action report must be filled out, provided the pilot lives to tell about it. However, when an emergency of this nature takes place, placing "an exact X on the map" is probably the last thing on the pilot's mind.

Joel C

I see. it just occurred that given the language difficulties, and being one tiny incident in the midst of a huge war, I doubt that the relatives of the deceased ever learned the cause of the dropping of the bomb. I expect that the people that I now see working that field must be relatives. I'd tell them if I were able to find out. Someone puts flowers around the marker every now and then.

It also could have been one of their own aircraft jettisoning a bomb to engage in a fight or because of damage from. A lot of ground folks had a hard time identifying makes of aircraft.

Odd they were bombed, strafing was used on personal more in that era.

Last edited:
I confess to be woefully ignorant of the specifics of my grandfathers heritage, and unfortunately he is no longer with us...but I will speak to my mother and attempt to glean more info. I believe he grew up on the mainland, near the border with ze Germans. This is a far off visit, considering my children's age and my financial position so I have time to information gather. But, one day, I expect to find myself wandering through the woods of your fine country.

I never really have any cool work pics. This is basically it. My wife was on the job for a few minutes today and snapped a pic. Boring picture, but it was a huge red oak on an estate originally owned by one of the DuPonts. A fair number of beautiful trees on this property. If I could get the estate owner to open his wallet up a little more I could really put a shine on some specimen trees on the property. There are some BIG trees on this property. I was doing some pruning and dead wooding in this red oak.

561411_568435203191053_527461937_n_zps918fabe7.jpg

It was a big tree. Not extremely common here. The wood on the left side of the pic is a leader on that same tree. It crotches out a ways up (below me) into a massive crown. Big oaks are cool to prune. They usually lend themselves to boogeying around the tree pretty easily. Around here anyways. A few more dull pics. Maybe some removal pics soon if I do one worth talking about.
100MEDIA36IMAG1034_zps96dbb7d4.jpg

100MEDIA36IMAG1043_zpsffea4555.jpg

And for the kicker...... me, one handing a chainsaw.
100MEDIA36IMAG1049_zps010bfff0.jpg

A tad decayed. Nice shots all. Here is a couple from a tree I'm slotted to do that I'll be sad to do as its real nice:(
Then I'll switch to laptop do post today's beauty.
uploadfromtaptalk1365646040893.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1365646150783.jpg
And this one well it winked and smirked at me:D
uploadfromtaptalk1365646189556.jpg

Back