The Official Work Pictures Thread

Here is some planting action from Friday. We removed a stand of arbs a week ago that was covering the entire front of the house. We cleaned up the stumps, moved the bed back, planted new grass, and installed 6, 6-1/2' Nigra Arbs.

0.jpeg

We charged $500+ the last two years running to trim the beasts, $400 or so to remove them, and another $1000 to plant the new ones... Some people dont get it!

Most people don't get it.

It is what keeps us working though. Prune it, prune it, cable it, kill it, replant it, feed it, feed it, prune it...

I've never attempted to post a photo on this website, so please forgive me if things don't work out for me here. 733879_10200689757264774_1739469836_n.jpg

This is a picture of my house, taken some 15 years ago. The trees to the west are all Green Ash, and they were planted far too close together. Some of those trees are only 4 feet apart.

I'll be removing several of these trees. Others will be trimmed back so that the branches no longer make contact with the roof of the house.

I'll give this a try and hope the photo appears on this page when I'm done.

Joel

Gary,

I don't have a current photo. We still have snow drifts outside that are about 5 feet deep. Maybe if the snow stops blowing sometime today I'll be able to take a photo of the trees .......as they are much taller now.

I'll keep you updated.

Joel

Well, the wind finally died down enough for me to go out and take a few photos of the trees I'll be working on as soon as the snow disappears.
100_4461[1].jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 100_4461[1].jpg
I'm open to suggestions from anyone who might be willing to participate. Obviously these trees aren't huge. They were planted way too close together, which has severely impacted their ability to grow. Additionally, this property sat abandoned for many years, during which time the trees were neglected and never trimmed up properly.

My idea is to thin them out by removing every other tree- possibly leaving every third tree- as they're planted about four feet apart. The trees that are located directly west of the house will have to be dismantled, due to limited space between the trees and the house on one side, and the power lines on the other.

Joel

I'd thin them out to some kind of more open spacing, especially with the other trees in the rear. i think if your eye sees the front but also gets lead through to the back, it's an attractive effect. That is the way a lot of Asian gardens were designed, some incredible ancient ones, the more forward trimmed part leading your eye to the natural effect behind, the way they play off each other. I get a chance to see lots of wooded areas before and after being thinned, and I do like the greater amount of light and air passage, unless intended as a wind break. It seems to make some sense out of the place. The character of the trees stands out better as well when uncrowded..

I'm open to all suggestions on this project. Here's what I see going on with these trees.

The trees were planted very close to one another to help serve as a wind break......which was fine when they were younger trees, and much smaller. Now that the trees are growing taller, I see that they are being destroyed by each other when whipping in the wind. The trees have almost no tops, as the branches are being broken off by the neighboring trees.

Would these trees ever fill out, once I make room for them to spread their wings? I'm not sure. From my limited experience with Green Ash, I believe the tops would eventually fill out. Wishful thinking on my part?

Thanks a heap for the replies and the suggestions.

Joel

This is a typical ND shelterbelt planting. Way to close. It was done the same way on city streets. If you ever need some old experienced help on a tree, let me know. I'm only about 50 miles away. For you folks from the rest of the world, that is just around the corner in ND. A leisurely 40 min. drive.

Bob

I'd start by at least knocking down one of some of the double leaders coming up from the stumps. You don't need some formal battle plan from the beginning. See how it looks as you progress and go from there, and ideally your eye should tell you what to do. Ask yourself what your eye wants to see there, add some emotion sense to it, not just follow through on an initial plan formulated in your brain. Taking your time between doing the removals can also help you to make up your mind, looking at it afresh can help yourself to see clearly. Sometimes looking at things and deciding about design isn't an easy thing. Seeing things isn't only with your eyes, you have to feel it out too. Kind of sounds like a lecture....sorry!

Thanks Bob!

Most of my internet friends have a hard time believing me when I tell them that there isn't a traffic light within 40 miles of me. I think the nearest traffic light in your direction might be 70 miles away.....in Bottineau. I grew up in Glenburn. Between here and Glenburn.....95 miles west......just three stop signs.

Well, if you ever come through Cando for some odd reason, please be sure to look me up. I'm the very first house east of Cando, north side of Highway 17. When you head east out of Cando, start slamming on the brakes after you go by the power company's equipment lot.

And I think you're right.......way too close together. I think these trees would grow much bigger if they weren't competing with each other for water and sunlight.

Woodworkingboy,

Thanks for your thoughts on making this project turn into something of an art form. I never really thought about adding the appearance of "depth" when thinking through this mess. I'm always in for a project that adds a bit eye appeal, while at the same time working to solve a problem.

Joel

Back