The Official Work Pictures Thread

The stump cut sucked. The face was nice but I cut through the hinge boring with the 54” bar. It just wanted to pull that direction despite my best efforts. It really didn’t need a hinge though. It was only 6’ high vertical column or so and nothing it could hit. Pulled it over with the truck and the face gave it a good tipping point to help with direction.

All you said about the long bar problems on that type of tree definitely rang true in our scenario.

Yeah, even with the bar level, I’d bore an inch above the face and come out 2” below it on the other side! I faced it double cutting with the 36” and tried to double cut the back like that but it kept deflecting downward. I put the 54” on and tried both boring and traditional to match up to the face- no avail. After all that, the trunk was basically cut free just sitting on the stump.

How do you deal with those large multi stem trunks? Short bar?

Start with a short bar and cut a starter ‘groove’ nice and horizontal. Then place the longer bar into that groove so it guides it and gets you started dead level.

@Jed :-( put a circular bubble level on his saw ;-)
Ha! I've thought about that a bunch! I always wondered how well it would work, reckoned the vibrations would make it useless, so I never tried it. I'm pretty good at getting them where I want em, but it'd be nice to KNOW. Not to mention it would be a useful training aid for newbies.

Last edited:
Ha! I've thought about that a bunch! I always wondered how well it would work, reckoned the vibrations would make it useless, so I never tried it. I'm pretty good at getting them where I want em, but it'd be nice to KNOW. Not to mention it would be a useful training aid for newbies.
I did it. Works real well with the saw off. Ok with it running. Magnetic, Tucks down tween the big dawgs

We are thinking of switching from Sitka to Mangrove.
We hop around on the high spots and stick them in.
Next year when we run over the area and replace dead ones, we can hopefully stick some in where there is water now.
I was teetering on the brink of water when Thais dog came up from behind and pushed me..............wet sock.
You can see he looks pretty pleased with himself: 20240221_115016.jpg

John and I did a Silver maple trim. A little end weight reduction, thinning, deadwooding, crossing branch removal, etc. Nearly all cuts were under 4”. Filled the 5x10 trailer approximately 24” -30” (need to figure out avg cuyd weight of chips). Not enjoyable unloading the trailer by hand.

Attachments

• IMG_8753.jpeg
    IMG_8753.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8487.jpeg
    IMG_8487.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back