The Official Work Pictures Thread

Can't believe you have elms like that.
Ours are ALL gone.
When Margot and I sailed out from Bergen in 2017, The thing about that town, that hit me the most, was the Elms.
Hope you get to keep them.

Beautiful work BTW :)

Last edited:
Thanks Stig.

There are still lots of Elms in and around the city. Some are succumbing to DED but the Kommune removes them pretty quickly to try and slow the spread.

There are some roads in the older area of town line with 15-20 of them. Once there was maybe 25+ of them but over the years they have had to be removed. WhilstI worked for AB Trepleie we went back and felled at least 2 of them that I was present in the job, they probably removed more.

I just remember people coming up to us and if you were removing similar in London for eg. There would be complaints and grief.

I expected a similar reaction but they just asked if it had the Elm sickness and what fine work we were doing to try and stop it spreading.

Pull-over, multi- lead, crusty, dusty doug-fir for the builder I work for on occasion. 34" on the butt. No clean up.

Ladder with saddle/ flipline to install pull line and trucker's strap.

Block of wood in the face to kick it a hair farther from the house patio, laying it between the house and shop.

20230202_150913.jpg 20230202_150911.jpg 20230202_155555.jpg 20230202_155757.jpg

Full hinge to direct the tree to the lay. The face closes on the one side ( house patio side) and kicks to the other side (shop-ward).
I would have laid it on the cone marking the drain, at the edge of the patio. I used a piece of the face cut. as seen on the stump. Needs a conventional facecut or shallow humboldt (dicey...unless somehow secured in place I suppose from my armchair)

An obtuse snipe does similar on a humboldt).

This allows a tree to move forward, then to the side a bit. It can help a tree get to an obstructed lay, such as having another tree in the path at the beginning of the fall.

E.g. faced at 12:00, moves 15 degrees forward, and is kicked to 11:00, after clearing another tree's canopy.

Let me know if you want a diagram.

As mentioned, if you need it to roll off another tree, this can help.

Also, for rolling off another tree, Stig will, having gutted the hinge, cut off one corner once committed, to reduce hung trees and collateral damage.

Andre:. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOU (No homo!!!) and very much want to move to Saint Petersburg. We in the States produce hardly any Saints at all unfortunately. Can I move there? If I moved, could you ever get me a job? I think Putin is vastly better than any American President who has ever lived. I cannot stand our government.
Jed, I also respect you very much, but I definitely will not be able to provide you with a job in St. Petersburg. P.S. theoretically, I assume that in the near future many people will flee to Russia from so-called democratic countries.

Jed, I also respect you very much, but I definitely will not be able to provide you with a job in St. Petersburg. P.S. theoretically, I assume that in the near future many people will flee to Russia from so-called democratic countries.

Back