The Official Work Pictures Thread

Change chains for a minute.

Rich, @Raj has found success with a home- fashioned milling winch (boat-trailering winch, possibly)
I haven't tried mine, yet.

Might be a good help, especially without gravity- assist (log oriented in- line with a down-slope) on such a mighty oak.

Beauty of a slab!

Change chains for a minute.

Rich, @Raj has found success with a home- fashioned milling winch (boat-trailering winch, possibly)
I haven't tried mine, yet.

Might be a good help, especially without gravity- assist (log oriented in- line with a down-slope) on such a mighty oak.

Beauty of a slab!

If you zoom n close on the 4th picture. There is a small bobbin near the power head. It runs a 4mm cord up through a small pulley wedged into the far end of the log and back to the auxillary oiler end of the bar. So once the mill is in the cut it is a 1 man operation until the last few inches.

As for the metal. Not my saw or milling equipment. I put one of my mates here in touch with a friend in the UK who is the importer of Alaskan Mills. That mill and bar on the saw are his own products along with the auxillary oiler attachment and winch / pulley setup.

I just help Endre (Norwegian mate) out with the milling as we work together a fair bit and I might get a slab off him once they are settled.

Thanks.

I'm mostly on the TH on my phone (small screen), and I'm starting to feel the effects of aging on my eyes. I don't wear my reading glasses as much as i should.

I fell an oak tree once. It was growing along a fence-line, near a barnyard. Back in 1972., near Sebastapol in Sonoma County.

I was too young to know the species of that oak, but I fell it, and I bucked it into manageable lengths so the owner could move it, and I swear... every cut I made into that tree: the undercut, diagonal cut, back cut, and every buck cut I hit barbed-wire and fasteners multiple times.

What I expected to accomplish in less that an hour turned into 3 hours of pure frustration.

A six-pack of domestic brew was about $1.25 then. Saved the day.

I once cut a tree out in the woods while logging, it had some barbed wire grown into in it very close to the top (40-50'), never did figure that one out

Reactions: Jed
The purple dis colorization in the heartwood's a clue there's metal in there......

The exact location of the steel however can only be determined by a metal detector.

There's a very good reason high end log mills only process wood that's been run through a metal detector.

It's not so much blade damage cost, as downtime......

Jomo

I'm not sure tbh. I /thought/ the tops of young trees stayed as tops, and grew up, but thinking about it now, that sounds like it might not be right :^/

Ha, this licensed arborist should know, but yeah nah, afaik, any given part of a tree stays at the height it first appears at and it just gets thicker and bigger over time. But higher height is achieved via new apical.....meristems.....:/: which give rise to other new tips the following season, and so on.

But yeah, there was barbed wire ingrown in the tree top. Doh!

Ha, this licensed arborist should know, but yeah nah, afaik, any given part of a tree stays at the height it first appears at and it just gets thicker and bigger over time. But higher height is achieved via new apical.....meristems.....:/: which give rise to other new tips the following season, and so on.

Ding, ding, right answer👍

I'm not sure. An older customer assured me they didn't have a ladder so tall when they hung the light, decades earlier. It went up with the tree growth, he said.
And the wires grew, too.

Sean, that is interesting. Can you elaborate a bit more on the details? Is your custy an actual witness to a tree raising an object via tree growth?

I've often wondered how trees twist as if rotating while growing, and have so few branches down low as to have a perfectly smooth trunk log. I think somehow the trunk must grow too, but I've never figured it out, always wondered about it.

Back