The Official Work Pictures Thread

Innernet stars collide!

That picture is superb in content and colors, thx for posting.

Btw what boots ya got there, RC?

New year's day work. I climbed it while being tied to another tree as I suspected some damage. My helper made sure I was safe.
tree2.jpg tree1.jpg

What was your plan if the tree failed underneath you? I assume you were on lanyard at some point?

Hi Butch, Lanyard in on the fat side of the tree (2/3 of the overall diameter shown on the cart), straps around the tree. I had done a bounce test on the tree and did not notice any movement but decided to still tie in another nearby tree. The hinge worked well and the tree only split after it hit the ground (not a great pic) stump.jpg

Cool, but you didn't answer my question... what was your plan if the tree failed underneath you?

Consider a break-away lanyard connection, and two, or one, climb lines in the strong tree.

Does your helper just fetch sticks, no driver's license or ability to run power equipment?

Cutting your lanyard sounds great... what if it happens FAST?

I don't do that "tie into another tree" thing... not until they invent a true break-away lanyard.

The one time a tree failed under me it was so fast all I had time to do was hit the ground.

This one had roots upheaving so I guyed it off. I set a highline so I didn't have to tie into the tree:

Attachments

• Kubicek  (2).jpg
    Kubicek (2).jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Kubicek  (3).jpg
    Kubicek (3).jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Kubicek  (1)resized.jpg
    Kubicek (1)resized.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 50
Butch, the break away lanyard was invented long ago.
It is called using a zip-tie as a connection.

No, I'm not sure.

We have a shop day, if all goes as planned. I"ll give it some testing.

I'm at the point of it being a shop, not just storage!

Holy crap I never put that much effort into it before. The few times I was in a sketchy situation like that I just fired up the saw, then unclipped my lanyard and held the end in my hand. Yes, I one handed the saw. If things went screwy I just let go of my lanyard and swung away to safety. Then I went back to work and finished the tree.

You one handed the saw:O:O:O

Jeez, Brian.
Don't you know this is a serious arborist forum.
Some of us are even certified.
You can't just use that kind of language in here.

Back