The Official Work Pictures Thread

All here to learn, right?

Basically, I did just set-up one side up to the hinge (as the bore-and-chase achieves) but entered from the back, then went around and chased the cut from the opposite side, re-inserting into the original back-cut kerf, working to the far side hinge.

I could have double-cut the face with a standard conventional or humboldt. This is easier.

IDK exactly why people cutting big trees use them in redwoods, sometimes. Jerry would know. I think it's just easier, especially double-cutting.

Willie, I posted that video to all the guys in my company, just to show them how a pro handles the big stuff.

I really liked it.

Willie, y'all have that stuff dialed in really tight...great video. You took some massive tops there...with a real Big Boy saw.

:)

Thanks guys. That double was an older one, but there was a lot of preplanning and set up, most don't see that. The back one was uprooted heavily into the front tree. Didn't think it wise to drop them individually. Chained each above the face, faced both, bored both and then tripped both. You can see the back stump release and drop.

Lapsed basswood repollard.

10+ cubic yards of chip and a lot of logs.

Tired tonight.

Attachments

• 75FBB1ED-5113-4E0D-BB0C-0E52A556EC38.jpg
    75FBB1ED-5113-4E0D-BB0C-0E52A556EC38.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 32
  • F8D949EB-2C29-47F5-8634-A3ACA28C48D5.jpg
    F8D949EB-2C29-47F5-8634-A3ACA28C48D5.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 66CEBF0F-1112-46E8-8CBA-26839F26D832.jpg
    66CEBF0F-1112-46E8-8CBA-26839F26D832.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 32
Four more cuts and the middle pic woulda been poifect Mick!

Why'd yu make it into such a tight fisted stub?

The ShropShire Slasher strikes again!

Jomo

Back in the days when I climbed and would use a ladder to get up into the tree, one of my pet peeves was leaving the ladder against the tree while I was working. I have enough targets to avoid and leaving the ladder that I bought with my hard earned money directly under me in the kill zone to get busted up by falling limbs was not an acceptable option. Been a long time since I climbed a tree but it still bugs me seeing a nice ladder left against the trunk while it is getting trimmed.

Brian, I agree, this had to be done in stages, I came down three times to help the guys on the ground to clear up, and have lunch.

As I’m a short rope guy I need the ladder to reach the ground, and of course get back up to the rope.

That ladder was 209 bucks so, yes, as soon as I start cutting again it’s put to one side.

In answer to Jomo, it’s better like that, more like the original pollard, not a reduction.

Is it considered unethical to gaff when pollarding?

As long as you only spike above the cut line it’s not an issue Ryan.

I spike everything anyway so don’t give a shit.

Aerial Friction, Mick?

I lower as much as possible, myself, often landing thing because I can catch the swing, without needing to coordinate with a groundie.

In the age of the Belay Spool, Rig'n'Wrench, etc, on top of natural-crotching, you can skip a rope-man, often.

Sean, I am the Emperor of self lowering and using stubs as aerial friction.

There was an awful lot of chipping and cutting to do on the deck on this job. No one lets the grass grow under their feet on my site.

hahaha. Well done.

That would make a good title, Butch, "Mick! Emperor of Self Lowering!".

Easier to make a mess than process a mess, no doubt.

Mik, I trust you are kidding about not spurring below the cut line?

If the tree can handle that haircut a few spur holes aint gonna add up to jack doodley, eh?

If the tree can handle that haircut a few spur holes aint gonna add up to jack doodley, eh?

I hear yah. But a pro hack would leave the remaining stem unblemished, ya know for curb appeal. Micks just a hack hack. :P

Just taking the piss big Mick. :)

Back