The Official Work Pictures Thread

Looks good to me. Nice picture. What is the device being used to handle the weight at the base of the limb? Did you have someone else lowering the limb for you?

So I did 3 wraps around a large oak about 100 feet away.
Way to many wraps, my ground guy had to do the ring around the oak tree to get it running towards the ground.
Thanks

True dat! Pool decks and big limbs don't play well.

Good work. Don't fret about taking too long...hmming and hawing is part of the process of thinking out how to be safe.

A small piece of advice here. 3 wraps on anything is pretty much locking it off. It won’t run except for the real big stuff that is probably pushing the limits on you ropes anyhow.

Agreed. And any man made friction device (portawrap or bollard, etc) is much easier to learn the needed wraps and other eccentricities of proper deployment and control than wraps on a tree trunk.

I'd go there, if I was you.

Welcome to the Treehouse, Leafcollector! What is your first name? Mine is Butch.

I'm still trying to cipher that picture. Why was the rope so far out on the limb? Were you gonna stand it up? You mentioned something about balanced and level... is there another (spiderleg?) rope closer to the trunk that I'm not seeing?

Hard to tell from my armchair. :drink:

Welcome to the Treehouse, Leafcollector! What is your first name? Mine is Butch.

hey Butch, names Bernie
the red rope was tied off at the base. I was afraid it would crack if i tried to lift it up with the notch on top.
their is another rope with a hitch at the stem that i redirected over a cut off limb on the front of the stem. that was tied off to the big oak with 3 wraps to boot.
this I figured would direct the limb in front of and away from me when i cut it free. It did precisely that, thank you REG:)
i then had the ground guy release the rope attached closest for me to control and he worked the red rope out far on the limb.
to a pro i probably looked like a cluster, but we was happy.

I assume there was a target just out of picture range? Is that why you couldn't just tie the rope closer to the trunk? And if there was a target, was another one preventing you from drifting the limb?

I'm not a fan of spider legs, or any incarnation thereof.

I assume there was a target just out of picture range? Is that why you couldn't just tie the rope closer to the trunk? And if there was a target, was another one preventing you from drifting the limb?

I'm not a fan of spider legs, or any incarnation thereof.

So,I didn't tie the rope off at the trunk because I'm an idiot, that would have been much easier.
When I released the tie off of the white rope it (limb) slid in front of the tree until it was almost centered.
I worked the slacked along with my guy on the tip line.
Like I said, I looked awkward but I worked out well.
I do not plan on video taping as I perform this work, Less distraction the better.
I hope my explanations make sense.

I'm gonna google the term "spider leg" so I'll understand why to avoid it.

It's a technique to level rigging on limbs, by attaching another line to the main rigging line. They have their place, but sometimes more complicated rigging doesn't make the job safer or easier.

Hmmmmmmm. Yea, I woulda just tied it maybe 10' out and made the cut. When it's way out like that the butt can become a problem.

Working over in Bergen with Mike, treebogan on here. Removal of 6 mature maple trees, 2 growing out of a shed which was interesting. We have a knuckle boom Hiab on site and Mikes tractor and crane fed chipper. We have another day tomorrow to do the last two trees.

ca41fb7fd8f2a891c41667b1d87abe28.jpg

4a9df6da12a4830cb7cc1cb4881fb7dc.jpg

5ea9dfb313b3416b673b46841cb40062.jpg

3acaa92727ad9518862a5b4d4c7fbe09.jpg

41c662b600c73aa47b8fb570aed21711.jpg

409c01f66c566f26eeab44254b627ed1.jpg

5ed3786779ad3f91d95727234a81863d.jpg

Rich

Cheers.

It is normally pissing down on the west coast. We have been lucky. The last two days have been glorious. Today it got pretty humid in the afternoon then the thunder and the heavens opened.

Back to normal now for the west coast.

Yep, it is wet in Denmark, but Bergen gets between 4 and 5 times as much rain in a year.

Why did those trees have to go?
Seems like they usually like their trees a lot in bergen.

Not entirely sure Stig.

One of them was half dead and growing through the roof. The other one growth through the roof was dieing back. Probably due to the large barn with concrete base that was built around them.

It is a day centre for disabled people. They produce firewood as one of the activities. Hence the barn to store the wood in.

Maybe they wanted some more wood.

I'm gonna google the term "spider leg" so I'll understand why to avoid it.
The spider leg isn't to be avoided, it's very useful when you have no room under the limb (aka close target) nor you can't lift it (other limbs over it). Tip drop or butt drop can be both forbidden. The limb has to stay as is (with its initial angle) during the lowering. You do that by tying 2 or 3 legs of rope, before and after the center of gravity. By fine tunning this setup, and properly guessing where is the COG, the limb barely move when you make the cut. More easy to say than to do, but interesting.

Back