The Official Work Pictures Thread

View attachment 50386View attachment 50387View attachment 50388View attachment 50389View attachment 50390View attachment 50391View attachment 50392View attachment 50393
A little bit of what I've been up to lately. Really swamped busy at the moment, which is just the way I like it heading into the winter. More to come...

Good to read ya man. You got a good crane op if he'll let you ride. I gotta ask though that one pick looks like you're just choked off to a half dead limb? Seems like wrapping the stem would be much more secure.

Banner year up here too. Glad to hear you're swamped.

Haven't posted any work pictures for a while so here are some from today. Decent size tulip poplar, all brush had to be rigged down nothing fancy. The nice thing was we could dump the trunk wood in some open area behind it.

IMG_2838.jpg IMG_2839.jpg IMG_2843.jpg IMG_2845.jpg IMG_2846.jpg IMG_2847.jpg IMG_2850.jpg IMG_2853.jpg IMG_2855.jpg IMG_2858.jpg

Last pic, used the kboom to remove the tree here was the last pick
IMG_2837.jpg

Looking good!
I sawed some lean into a few today and ALAP for the addition
y7yharys.jpg

eruhy6y7.jpg

ne9y7e6y.jpg

te9ezuju.jpg
anyryjyb.jpg

The thing about sawing in lean, I haven't much done it, does the tree actually start to lean with only that much wood left, it looks like it might? In that photo it does. Sort of have wondered how you know that the tree has sufficient lean if it doesn't show it, and wedging is no longer an option. Without a line in it, it seems like it could be a problem if you haven't got the lean you need..

i learned the technique in Jerry's TFGTW, it works great but like with most any technique you have to be careful. To paraphrase Jerry, when the tree goes it goes quickly. Or if you have misjudged things, it can go bad quickly. I've never had a problem with it, knock on wood, and it is a time and labor saver in the right situation.

To answer your question, the tree doesn't start to lean early, that I have noticed. It just goes quickly when the hinge is thin enough. I use it on whole trees but more often on limbless spars or sections.

Thanks, Jerr.

Thanks, Cory.

So basically, if the tree doesn't show it, you are estimating that the tree has the lean. I'm thinking that a line is still needed in situations where a mistake in judgement would be a problem.

EPIC day with Bixler, I fell 2 big Ponderosa's, then climbed a little 80 footer and throw the top on my birthday!... boy I had a good day and going again tomorrow to fell 3 more big pondo's :) Bix video it so vid is coming!!!!!!!

This first pic is the big boy 5'10" with logger tape, perfect fell and shook the ground like earthquake

2nd big one with Bix and Nick getting lunch

Me working my way up to top it

Bixler way up there taking out back leaners and setting a pull line

Thanks, Cory.

So basically, if the tree doesn't show it, you are estimating that the tree has the lean. I'm thinking that a line is still needed in situations where a mistake in judgement would be a problem.

Jay, read Jerry for the full analysis. But I would say it's for trees or spars that are mostly straight up and down, and you cut a deep box in them to induce a lean; "saw lean into them." I use it to avoid the time involved in using a rope. If it needs a rope then it needs a rope. But if it is borderline, sawing lean can be a good shortcut.

The Bible is there whenever we need to consult it and soothe our tree work angst.

Amen

Explained to me as under cutting the center of gravity. And also explained as something that can go terribly wrong if defects, back lean, ect. In this case a limb was nearly resting on the roof of the house and it had a side lean I wanted it to commit quickly. Fwiw I did put a rope in it with human pull power rather than set up mechanical pull.

Loving all the pics this week yous guys...

Partial removal of a blue oak and a grey pine today... Stage one kill.
HOs are on a tight budget. Take what was over the roof and tops of the pine that could reach several targets. The two tops of that pine were way out of lean to the LZs we had. Wish we could have got pics of those tops launching. My help was a tad busy though. ;)
Some blue oak shots. Speed line from over the roof. The tips were clear out to the edge.

Attachments

• IMG_20131023_105613.jpg
    IMG_20131023_105613.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20131023_105657.jpg
    IMG_20131023_105657.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20131023_115409.jpg
    IMG_20131023_115409.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20131023_122017.jpg
    IMG_20131023_122017.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20131023_122041.jpg
    IMG_20131023_122041.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20131023_122728.jpg
    IMG_20131023_122728.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 59
BOTS, you mentioned before about stubs for chunking down. Is that for fall protection? Do you use a choked climbline for the way down? 540 degree flipline wrap?

I did an odd bank clearance job, hard vertical reduction on alders. I left a lot a stubs for wrapping my SRT line (cut off limbs, leaving stubs, weave climbline for a redirect or 'cleat' it off, continue) hopping across several trees. I was very careful not to swing at all. Stubs are a nuisance at best.

BOTS, you mentioned before about stubs for chunking down. Is that for fall protection? Do you use a choked climbline for the way down? 540 degree flipline wrap?

I did an odd bank clearance job, hard vertical reduction on alders. I left a lot a stubs for wrapping my SRT line (cut off limbs, leaving stubs, weave climbline for a redirect or 'cleat' it off, continue) hopping across several trees. I was very careful not to swing at all. Stubs are a nuisance at best.

Sean, yes for fall protection and where Im going to snap cut sections on them skinny sweetgums....taking those tall tops (just couldnt climb any higher, to small) in a limited DZ shook me like a rag doll, it was nice having some stubs and I use a friction saver as well.

Now on those pics of me in that ponderosa pine, I was moving fast and reaching around trunk and cutting fast, wasnt to worried if I had some stubs, needed to get top down, then zip down and fell it...6 pondos is a lot of work, limited time, but I dont make it a habit of leaving to many stubs, one at the top is fine

For me, ONE stub is all it takes to foul my lines or hang up a roped limb.

But that's me. :drink:

Back