The Official Work Pictures Thread

The stump cut was a 2 piece, for sure; the root flare outcroppings would get stuck in the feed wheels, so we nipped those off. But then again, we are gambling men when it comes to willow -- the feed wheels can crush it down pretty readily. I don't think we cut anything else on the tree. It munched down all the main leaders without limbing anything. About a 45 minute job; glad the homeowner was out for most of it so they didn't see how fast it went! P1310947.jpg

Is there a sharp edge developing where the round bit is worn down at the winch rope entrance (fairlead-area's roundstock)? or is that an OEM cut-out for the design?

How much more life can you get out of that bit of winch line that gets put under high tension?

FWIW, people can do what they want, risk-wise, of their own choosing (well, not when working for me). I'm not a fan of the boss choosing risk for employees. As I mentioned before about a cut-up flipline, tell the boss it past replacement:thirty.

If you're working 5-6 days a week, grinding stumps on Sunday and all, the boss should have enough money for replacing stuff that's damaged.

$0.02.

Is there a sharp edge developing where the round bit is worn down at the winch rope entrance (fairlead-area's roundstock)? or is that an OEM cut-out for the design?

How much more life can you get out of that bit of winch line that gets put under high tension?
OEM design on the winch throat (I call it a "wimp", not a winch...) We've had to do an in-field replacement of the normal blue core winch line, replacing it with an older lowering rope. Where the karabiner hooks back to itself, there's a lot of chafing under load and so it goes for a week or two, then we have to shorten the line before the core shows (which we did right after the pics were taken). It's gotten short enough now that it's time to replace the line back to OEM, since it has less than 100' of reach (normally 150'). We're just coming out of winter and hitting the busier season now, so we can start to afford equipment upgrades (new truck tires, get our second 372 out of the shop, etc.). We definitely don't skimp on safety, though -- we've replaced climbing lines 2x lately, replaced a friction saver, cycled out a lowering rope, and are about to replace that flipline.

Work Pics Thread 2.0!

Lovely day today. 29c barely a cloud in the sky.

New chipper (well new to me) arrived Monday, so we put it through its paces.

A stand of Linden trees had been neglected and needed a clear out. Deadwood removal, clean up some old stubs and a light thin with some end weight reductions if needed. The bottom two limb were cut back and lifted over the cycle path.

Relatively easy day but didn't want to go balls out and the neighbours mention we were only there a couple hours whereas I had mentioned to the customer about 2/3rds of the day.

Done and out of there in 5 hours including the clearup. Then home for a dip in the Fjord with my oldest son.

5d104c93606de58c0206854922850678.jpg

bf9f83572518a43f1e67ac4b02dc0596.jpg

f91a60c69d32e90e147dabc5480b0da4.jpg

7299bab98859d423c5253c656ee0abbb.jpg

7e721ec7918ba9dca3dd3496dd53be90.jpg

416fc329095ce5de118d650aa71e1c0e.jpg

a83588e35ff9f2181437957564fb9727.jpg

Rich

View attachment 86731View attachment 86732View attachment 86733
I?m not real sure what was happening to this beech, but I removed the dead section to a reasonably safe stub for now. The dark colored leaves kinda had me confused. I?ve only seen this in ornamentals, not a 250 year old tree( not my guess but they paid someone smarter than I for that information). Just did what I was told and gave enough reason to not condemn it for now. Very low risk area if the other half decides to let loose.

Looks like a Copper Beech to me. Cross section a live branch and it should have a ring of pink as the cambium.

79 hours Mick.

That saw was a chock. That's all Huskies are worth isn't it? ;)

Not really. The chipper wasn't connected to the truck.

Does yours have a stand at the back to power when chipping and not connected up?

It was perfectly stable today with out one.

No mine doesn’t have a stand, which is annoying.

Check your grease pipes aren’t split from the grease bank, I don’t trust them, soi put the nipples directly into the bearings.

What do you think of it? You’ve been around, as it were, chipper wise.

I like it. A friend I climb for out here has the same machine and I've used it quite a bit.

I deliberately put some gnarly bits through it to christen it and the stress didn't even kick in.

Yeah, yeah I know it was only lime but it did the job. ;)

You are describing weather I was not aware Norway was capable of having.

Looks perfect.

Jim, it has been glorious lately. Hovering around the late twenties and early thirties for over a week now. Supposed to be 31 on Saturday. Certainly was nice jumping in the Fjord after work for a swim. Water still needs to warm up a bit but you can swim in it quite comfortably.

Somebody told me it was the warmest may in 170 years in Norway.
That was why we made a quick decicion and rode up there.
Normally a biking holiday in Vestlandet is a scketchy affair.

Oh, the weird shit I do for money.

The private forest district that became our new customer this winter, grows a lot of christmas trees.
The warm spring has put budding forwards, so they were running way behind with top bud regulating.

So they asked us to help.
Not my favourite work by far, but anything to keep a big client happy.

One problem with growing natural style Abies normanniana x-mas trees is that in order for them to be nice and deeply green, they need lots of nitrogen.
That makes them grow too fast, so they become lanky.
So top growth has to be regulated, which can be done manually or chemically ( Using the same stuff Jim sprays on his grain to keep it from growing too tall and fall over)

Manually, you make several incisions in the cambium of last years top shoot, restricting the flow of vital bodily juices to this years top bud, so this years shoot will grow shorter.

With the cutting tool you make from 1 to 3 cuts according to how vigorously the tree seems to be growing. Now do that 3-4000 times a day.
Normally it is done by our version of Mexicans, Eastern Europeans.

Denmark exports some 10 million trees yearly, so it is big business.
Wouldn't want to have to pay somebody a decent wage for working in them.

Which, this time, they ended up doing.
But then I'm sure it will work ever so much better when done by certified arborists.

P1060212.JPG P1060213.JPG P1060211.JPG IMG_20180530_081029.jpg

Great work going on out there!
Monday I had this may be 55ft spruce, long branches over hanging 2 neighbours. Instead of rigging I opted for top-cut-peel and throw.... A few one hand cuts..... With the silky! ;)

MS192T held up, since I finally found the reason it was lacking power!

FB_IMG_1527806863844.jpg

Back