The Official Work Pictures Thread

Cedar, Cedar till you can't sleep!

We've got till Friday to turn these nine (6 Deodar and 3 Red) Cedars into firewood. Should go pretty good God willing. Tons of room for a Resy-job. Trouble is... The Deodars have so many stinkin tops whose limbs are all wrapped around each other, and the whole shootin match leans over the neighbors.

unnamed-889.jpg

We could fall one of the reds (the shortest, at about 80'), but the other one (about 90') I chose to high-stump at about 12'.

unnamed-891.jpg

Fail! My far corner on this double-cut is about 2" low. :X

unnamed-894.jpg

Spent the rest of the day goofin around with this 100' Deodar labyrinth. (All these shots are of just one tree.)

unnamed-897.jpg unnamed-896.jpg unnamed-895.jpg unnamed-892.jpg

Andy... Bull-buckin. :rockon:

unnamed-893.jpg

Rich... Like Mick done told it... False modesty, brother. You guys would own this place around two months after your arrival. A man your age could expect his legs to be in shape around two weeks after you get here.

The cedar that just keeps on giving eh Jed ;)

Nice Bixler shot Scott!
Hella top!
Seems most the new guys get jelly legs over 100 feet. It's standing on the skinny that does it. Like when you have about 4" of stem in front of you. But, climb high, cut smaller I tell them. :lol:
Jason's knees still knock. But I have barely pushed him to 80 feet yet :/:
Mike just never seemed comfy at height, but pushed himself through it. Most guys just get fatigued out. That's where SRT saves your butt.

I've been tied in to 4" on oaks and a few pine or spruce at 100' here but closing in on two hundred might be different. Doesn't matter much as I don't plan to move anytime in the forseeable future but a working vacation might be in the next couple of years.

image.jpg
Had five easy sugar maples to remove today. The township is replacing a storm drain that sits five foot beside them. The youngster was in the bucket in the pic. He's getting better. The only one on the crew that didn't fly was the minute milker. He said he got to sunburnt this week end to wear a bucket harness:cry::X. Oh well the other two needed the experience. Back to Cleveland tomorrow to deal with more bat trees.

Whew those are some tall trees gents! They would stretch my comfort zone for sure!

930941feb9e4916b657a337feb9390d9.jpg
9a963d3144c8220f06968d6906dc14fa.jpg
46dd622071e3d3750abd98ab65be0da9.jpg

First time climbing on spikes in a tree. I climbed on pretty big mature trees doing deadwooding/ pruning before as well as rec climbing. But this was a first being able to plan out how I want to dismantle it and executing while climbing vs bucket/aerial lift. Long story short, I'm hooked.

Josh

Man Jed, that thing really intertwined itself hey?

Oh yeah... you betcha... Pig took me a ton of reaming today just to get the grafts (3 of em!) ripped through so that I could fall the logs individually. Got a super dirty air filter now.

Rajan: Sure...... It just tends to ebb and flow around here. I'll have the Felco's in my hands again :( before too long, don't you worry. O.k... we've got the "befores," now what we need are the "afters."

Coupla more from today... Dude, wait till you see our firewood pile. I'll try to get a couple pics of it on Friday, our last day (God willing). Land Sakes!

unnamed-901.jpg unnamed-898.jpg unnamed-900.jpg unnamed-899.jpg unnamed-902.jpg

Boy oh boy.
Real McCoy There.

Hey Bob, I'm all about the small trees now...kinda makes me laugh...but the small trees are the future. Those Japanese Maples look rad....

And not gonna gloss over that textbook perfect hinge work Jed. You do it all the time, so we're used to seeing it. But dude, that is art.

Cheers

image.jpg
Tomorrows victim if it didn't rain in Cleveland this evening. They cancel the bat survey with rain.

image.jpg
I hate hornets!! True to my word. If I get stung by one the whole colony dies! Bagged and tagged

Ok, some little tree pics, a dead palm I removed just before leaving Bermuda.
Got there and the bottom half was only half diameter, either something struck it years ago or maybe lightning?? Wee bit of '...oh, didn't plan on seeing THAT!' Old princess palm.
Crowded drop zone, nursery, specimen trees, etc.
Did the absolute classic amateur's mistake, didn't check the fuel in my saw before I went up, small job at the end of the day, so yes, got all the way up and the saw wouldn't start...had to rappel down, get the 150 and go all the way back up. Client was cool though, just happy to get the palm down with no damage to his precious trees.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 57
...and back in Tassie Land, a wee bit bigger.
Rocked up to check the job and this is what we found, standing dead, rotten pine, top broken and resting in the adjacent tree!
Came back first thing the next morning, got a rope up into the broken top, pulled it out with the ute, then stripped off the lower branches and bark from the stump, rope back up top, cut, pull, BAM!!!
(truck in picture was backed up closer one the tree was down just in case anyone is worried...)

How's my hinge...

Attachments

• DSC01265.jpg
    DSC01265.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC01266.JPG
    DSC01266.JPG
    458.9 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC01267.JPG
    DSC01267.JPG
    412 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC01275.JPG