The Official Work Pictures Thread

Why do you even bother with a lanyard?

I'm pretty sure that this one is most easily accounted for by regional variation. Four years ago our shop got a really good crane-removal (we do almost zero crane removals) guy from Philadelphia named Chris Maragulia. He'd laugh at our lanyards...

Wait. Let me just answer your question. You use it on the top handles mostly to drop your saw real fast to grab a limb while its going over and throw the butt this way or that; but also you use it on the big saws in smaller wood when you're rolling out logs to ditch the saw in order to flip (I think it's a PNW thing where 90% of our trees are "straight up and downs.") a log a little faster, or even slow one down to stall it's flip by hanging onto the butt for a sec. Maybe you're up a bit too high to cut a shorter length (which might be all you have room for) and it's gonna flip too much on it's own. (See August Hunnicke for whether to single flip--270 degree--or double flip--360 degree--a short log.) I think just about all the climbers out here use it, and I've never seen a guy get hurt by the practice.

Oh... anyways... Chris had to do two really big Firs last week. He told me about the trees yesterday morning. He goes, "Yeah, I run a lanyard on every single one of my saws now." Sheesh, only took him four years... tree guys... we're all Dutch.

Williard: The guys in our shop go running scared from a hill like that.

image.jpg
Only pic I took this week I think. We've been putting in some hours. DNR decided that every tree on this project had to have a habitat survey done on it. Someone sits out at night and watches for bats and if they don't see any we remove them the next day. The problem is they have no idea the amount of work it takes to do these removals so it's damn near dark again when we get done. At four this afternoon I told the guy he's just gonna have to camp out under our last tree for the week another night. I was done. This was the last sweet gum on the street. :(

...The problem is they have no idea the amount of work it takes to do these removals so it's damn near dark again when we get done. ... (

Sorry Rich, (and beautiful stump btw--cept for the gutted hinge, but we'll let that slide) but I just don't get it. What do you mean by the above quote? Are you expected do do a whole slew of them in a day or something, or do you have lots of habitat restrictions that require you guys to rope tons of stuff out?

I ran into a similar situation when I was doing the Seattle Arboretum removals, but all's I did was tell them, "Look, if you gents are insistent upon these silly restrictions, (i.e. "Don't hit this little shrub, and don't hit that, etc.) then these removals are going to take a super long time, regardless of who does them." That got their attention. The upshot was that they fired me and got my buddy from the Davey line-clearance crew instead. :lol: Dude! I know this guy like the back of my hand, and I love him like my own brother, but Rich... not braggin... I just gotta tell ya... Man, it'll take him three times longer than me to do a given tree any day of the week. :lol::lol:

Poor Tony ended up putting that job about twelve days in the hole. We lost money hand over fist on that one.:lol::(

The gutted hinge was just for S&G. I was showing someone what to do on valuable logs with a junk one.
They seem to go by DBH as a reference. They seem to think 125" combined DBH is a days work. No f'n problem unless you're working in a downtown area. PITA. Spend 2 hours getting cars moved because apparently no one with in city limits can read. Then the damn enviro inspector has to look a every damn piece that has deadwood or cavities. I did take a ride with the enviro boss and we adjusted the schedule a bit

That seems incredibly weird to me. 125" combined dbh??? That could take a week in certain circumstances. That seems about right if you could just fall everything.

image.jpg
The last dead ash from yesterday. Was a great day except for every tree going shadoobie. Luckily the property owner came home as we were taking to see the disaster we had to rake. I enjoy working for him. He wants 3-5 days a year and says just do what needs done. We have two days of oak pruning for him this fall and next year should finish off his ash problem and the dying spruce trees as well.

Yes he is. 12 acres in city limits! He's also the custy that has us come in the winter to cut and split all the wood from the work we did on his property. It was a farm originally, back when the city of Massillon was just an intersection. We've been working for him for 5 years now. Almost have the place cleaned up for him.

I always loved the few that would say "do what needs to be done."

That's the same way I roll. :drink:

Rad stuff, Rich. Fill those days!

c809bbffd1ef301280015371ad8c1509.jpg

Great shots of Bixler. I often think I would enjoy working out there but then start to think if I could function with the hieghts you guys work at on a daily basis.

Beautiful view Deva. Are you on vacation?

The heights, you'd be fine.

Let's be honest, spiking and topping a straight stem like that, no matter how high, with two tie in points is fairly trauma free. (Great photos as usual BOTS)
If you're not used to it you might get a bit of jelly legs, but any experienced guy (which you undoubtedly are) would not stop at 90ft and say "I can't do it"

Back