The Official Work Pictures Thread

I did a probe test and hammer sounding. Bark was still holding near the flair.. They are decaying fast. I don't let my guys climb the real nasties. Those are all mine. But I walk them through the inspection. Surprisingly, the roots and flair were real stable. Top was fubar. Once you got further up the tree, it behaved in a circular motion when relieving weight and then gaffing. Not the usual bounce when walking up. Once I got past that dog leg, the cracks, hollows and rot was more severe. Pulling the top 180 out of lean was the real sketchy part. Helmets are key. Can't pull real hard, just a little pressure added until she commits.

Serious chit.

I don't envy you the coming years of various stages of decaying pines. No one better for the job though Stephen, just remember to charge lots!

Good story.
Something has changed for me in the last year or so.
I approach big challenging jobs and instead of seeing them as something I MUST do and pricing them reasonably I price them stupid high and don't give them a backward glance.
I had one recently, a big oak fallen into a river, the client was all yabber yabber, I looked at it and thought "miserable work, blunt saws, all round nasty" put in a price and walked away.
In the old days I would have worried and got annoyed when someone else did it.
Now I don't give a monkey's. I'll see it done and think "good for you!" Whilst I go off and take down some piss easy birch tree for the same money.

+10

You're like a Psychic. Sometimes it's like I can feel you standing over me when I'm all boozed-up and fixin to write something particularly stupid on here.

Boooooaaaaaaauuuuuuuggggghhhhhhhh;)

Max, the last time I did a job like that (over water), a branch yanked my new eyeglasses off - into the drink.

I was a pissed mofo, to say the least.

Such is Life, eh!

Man, I like those pics, Williard. Really good estimate on the height of those charcoal ones. Stick trick, eh?

We did a lightning Hemlock last year whose top did the same thing.

Sealants and such won't stick to rust. False torques. Just generally bad not to

Willie, btw a little more on that topic- what is your take on putting lubricant on threads and the bearing surface of a bolt head to make reinstall a bit easier. Using Never-Sieze is probably a good idea but I feel like that is particularly for bolts that are likely to be in place for a long, long time before unscrewing will be needed. I was thiinking of a little oil or clean grease for other bolts in general, and on stump teeth bolts and chipper knife bolts. Thank you.

I love never seize. Used it lots on the Alaska coast. Gotta take care to use the right kind with dissimilar metals, heat, marine etc. You'll find long terminal applications like bearings that occasionally some of it washes out over time but better to lose 10 % than never use it. Know your application too, there are some places not to use it.

I use never seize on my chipper knife bolts. An old disc chipper I used to maintain I put it on the mating surface of the knife cause it would rust in place if not

'Mating surface', that's one area I was trying to describe. Ok, thanks, good info.

Back