The Official Work Pictures Thread

Um yeah, I quit worrying about my decision and was relieved Monday with it. Had another guy fly the bucket while I dropped some spars and did the gas companies required paperwork. He got about five foot above my tie in and noticed both goofy tops were cracked. Ended up butt hitching them right there.
Nice pics guys.
Jed thank you for the pics. I was beginning to worry since you haven't posted any in a while. image.jpg
Stopped to eat lunch under this tree in a park, looked up and said f that. I'll go on to the next shady spot.

Just my Aluminium Bashlins. Yea, dusty as hell. No moisture at all, even down to the felling cut on the spar at 10 feet up. Left it that way until they put in a power pole to replace the tree holding the line. I wish I could post the video from FB on here. Top disintegrated into dust when it hit :lol:

...Something tells me you ignore your own advice from time to time...

You're like a Psychic. Sometimes it's like I can feel you standing over me when I'm all boozed-up and fixin to write something particularly stupid on here.

Ray: Yup. We've got three brand new ones in the shed right now, and it's the ground-man's job to load up the trucks. A Sharpie mighta saved me a whole lot a ugly. :|:

Stephen that pine looks nasty. I hope you guys are poking around the roots some as more of those pines get that far gone. Stay safe.

I did a probe test and hammer sounding. Bark was still holding near the flair.. They are decaying fast. I don't let my guys climb the real nasties. Those are all mine. But I walk them through the inspection. Surprisingly, the roots and flair were real stable. Top was fubar. Once you got further up the tree, it behaved in a circular motion when relieving weight and then gaffing. Not the usual bounce when walking up. Once I got past that dog leg, the cracks, hollows and rot was more severe. Pulling the top 180 out of lean was the real sketchy part. Helmets are key. Can't pull real hard, just a little pressure added until she commits.

Cool. I saw that here too, they would dry out and decay mostly from the top down. I then saw a few fail at the ground too like just beyond the flair the roots were heavily decayed. So I started probing the buttress roots out a little ways from the stump. I don't envy you the coming years of various stages of decaying pines. No one better for the job though Stephen, just remember to charge lots!

Dead pine was the only tree I ever walked on. That being said there were a few other that I bid myself out of I think too, never heard back after giving a whopper price and happy to have not gotten the job. My comp came to do it with a crane. The story I heard on it was the crane op saw the root plate move on one of the first pics and folded his rigging up and walked. Then the custy agreed to carnage of their landscape to lay the tree out. I was like,"Heh I coulda done that!"

I got the lowdown from the crane op.

It did feel good to get the scoop on that tree. I remember when I walked on it, the people were pissed. It was a accepted bid job and normally I'd make it good, but I had underbid it with a sh-t plan in my head that when I showed up to do it spelled death to me. I got all heeby jeebied out and the people got pissed, I wasn't willing to eat a huge crane bill and pay to do their tree. So I walked on the job. Bad for business? Maybe, never hurt that I could tell, but I'm sure my name was sullied at some point or other.

I didn't feel good about it. But I felt slightly better after I heard how it all went down in the end.

That dead pine is scary stuff.
I like the third pic, looking up thinking "bollocks"

Yeah, that was pretty much it Mick. Thwarted me setting a line save by big shot or throwing. Got a good throw in from my position after a big shot attempt from the ground. Got it high enough to pull over, wood as light as it was. Trimmed a little off one oak, small stuff, on it's way down, but it fit.

Squish, I figure we'll probably work from a basket or bucket on a lot of these coming up. I usually have some room to work limbs down. Cut small or whatever. Rare I have to deal with yards like Benn does.

It did feel good to get the scoop on that tree. I remember when I walked on it, the people were pissed. It was a accepted bid job and normally I'd make it good, but I had underbid it with a sh-t plan in my head that when I showed up to do it spelled death to me. I got all heeby jeebied out and the people got pissed, I wasn't willing to eat a huge crane bill and pay to do their tree. So I walked on the job. Bad for business? Maybe, never hurt that I could tell, but I'm sure my name was sullied at some point or other.

I didn't feel good about it. But I felt slightly better after I heard how it all went down in the end.

Good story.
Something has changed for me in the last year or so.
I approach big challenging jobs and instead of seeing them as something I MUST do and pricing them reasonably I price them stupid high and don't give them a backward glance.
I had one recently, a big oak fallen into a river, the client was all yabber yabber, I looked at it and thought "miserable work, blunt saws, all round nasty" put in a price and walked away.
In the old days I would have worried and got annoyed when someone else did it.
Now I don't give a monkey's. I'll see it done and think "good for you!" Whilst I go off and take down some piss easy birch tree for the same money.

Back