The Official Work Pictures Thread

Got do finish the original scope of work on our 'big' job, then she added on another 1/2 day for preparing the house of her late father for sale.

He liked dark, closed in places. He let the trees do their things. She had other plans...more sun and an open feeling, and an awesome view of the wetland and hay fields for wildlife watching and tree looking.

We prune about 20 trees, removed about 20 small trees, and only removed three big trees, rather than her original request for a bid on 15 large removals. She's tickled with the better option I presented. If the buyers need more work done, I'll hopefully be their guy.

Stripped, via speedline, three cedars previously due to super tight landing zone. Craned two over the house, 28" and 32" dbh, 4000-5000 pound picks toward the bottom. They were solid. Manitex 22101S 22ton. The guy seems to know his stuff. I've worked with him on 4 jobs now. He's gaining my confidence, though I still wonder somewhat. I don't know if the computer has a huge safety margin built in or what. I did green log estimations after measuring the trees. He was picking big. We were picking at around 40-45'. He's picked 3500# at 60-65' previously on butt chunks on a maple. That was pretty maxed. I think it was 4000# on the chart at that configuration. He could have set it back down, if needed.

P1130046.jpg P1130052.jpg P1130056.jpg

The big cedar was 46" at 7' (long butting all three due to likelihood of, and known, metal). The third one had huge ribs on it as bid cedars tend to have, as compensatory growth of expected heart rot. When the Crane Operator was tightening the chain on the second to last big tree pick, the trunk started popping some. I was happy that I was cutting at 7', and could exit the scene by one carabiner, but didn't need to scram. The butt pick didn't survive being unhooked, intact. Split right in two. After loading the second to last big tree pick via kboom, I cut it in half for unloading, knowing how rotten the bottom half was. It didn't survive unloading, intact.

Attachments

• P1130005.jpg
    P1130005.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 65
  • P1130006.jpg
    P1130006.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 65
  • P1130009.jpg
    P1130009.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 66
  • P1130012.jpg
    P1130012.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 66
  • P1130017.jpg
    P1130017.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 65
  • P1130019.jpg
    P1130019.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 64
  • P1130021.jpg
    P1130021.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 65
  • P1130024.jpg
    P1130024.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 65
  • P1130029.jpg
    P1130029.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 63
  • P1130033.jpg
    P1130033.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 62
  • P1130038.jpg
    P1130038.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 63
  • P1130045.jpg
    P1130045.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 64
Big stuff there! It's funny how the crane's advertising welding... I wonder if there's a welder's truck out there advertising cranes? Ha.

Spring 2013 (27).jpg I love it when wifey shows up to the site! Spring 2013 (28).jpg Spring 2013 (32).jpg Spring 2013 (35).jpg Spring 2013 (6).jpg Spring 2013 (7).jpg Spring 2013 (9).jpg Spring 2013 (3).jpg

A little snippet of various spring work projects. For my second season in biz for myself, I am super busy! Booked a month out right now. Lots of fun work done and a few feathers in my cap.

And the HH has been a big part of my productivity...or should I say the transition to SRT has been. Though, removals make up probably 60-70% of my work lately, but on the pruning projects the HH has been a real big boon!

I think it's time, Stephen 'Master pruner'.

Would be nice on the resume Jay.... I went a little further on that one than the HO originally expected. He is pretty minimalistic. I did not get too detailed and left as much as I felt I could on one side for shade. Still had to lighten the load for the cable though... ;)
HO originally asked me to remove the limb over the house... This was our compromise. :)

Sean, that was a bang up job on that project,. House looks great. Nice view now. Well done....
Looks like up the road from me in Jersey Dale/Mariposa Pines. Beautiful. Love when you can work on something like that and have that beautiful view from above.

Dylan, Some great pics man!... So happy that self employment is going well for you. As well it should with your quality of work. Hi Dylan's Wifey :hiya:

That's REALLY getting out there, Dylan! Nice pix ... nice work! =D>

Last edited:
Nailed these two white pines. One was about 140', the other 110. Took about 3 hours. Heat wave. Sucked. BIG TIME. I wasn't even supposed to do it. Another climber bailed out when he got to them. I was there, as it was a friends job and he was using my disc chipper for the limbs as opposed to his chuck n' duck. I said screw it, and just put my saddle on. No climbing saw. I only had a 372 with me. Miserable. Just miserable. Oh, and no throwline. Got started old school with my lanyard. Never again. Forgive the stubs on the one tree. I was limbing it on my way up, with a 372 and a 24" bar. Doesn't quite let me make my cuts as up close and personal as my climbing saw. I'll finish the other two in the background tomorrow. One is part way done as you can see by the line left in it.

Bigguns...3 hrs? You da man!! Lots of room to work, Imma guessing?

We just did a big one last week where I brought a climber in to help...sometimes it sure is nice to run the ropes and see the operation from the ground. Especially when you're self employed and tend to climb freaking everything!

Some room to work. was able to blow one top out in a huge shot. The whole top dog legged out and upward so all the weight was in favor of letting it just dump with no rope in it. That one rocked me good. Didn't cut it fast enough. No biggie. Tag lined a half dozen or so big logs out of each tree. Poles are ready to be dumped between 2 houses.

I should have walked away and offered to handle it when it wasn't 93 and full humidity. Could have gone about it MUCH better. But, I let my dumb self feel bad for a buddy that got screwed with a backhoe already there, tools out and ready, customer waiting eagerly. I just didn't have the heart to walk away. Like a fool, I put on my hooks and said "Lets just handle this".

You're just too nice and an over achiever Chris..
Seriously.. you need to take better care of you and let others worry about the predicament they put themselves into.

Cool pics, Dylan, I'd put them in a binder to show to potential customers thinking about it. With your wife, it shows why you are out there busting A.

We have a lil binder that we show, but it needs some serious updating. I'd like to get a shot of the whole fam on a good project. The little crane is owned by the fella operating it, who I sub for and vice versa on virtually all of our projects. It is a good relationship and we get along well....and even with my little pickup with only a pitchfork to unload I'd bet we could out produce most 2 man bucket truck crews.

Nailed these two white pines. One was about 140', the other 110. Took about 3 hours. Heat wave. Sucked. BIG TIME. I wasn't even supposed to do it. Another climber bailed out when he got to them. I was there, as it was a friends job and he was using my disc chipper for the limbs as opposed to his chuck n' duck. I said screw it, and just put my saddle on. No climbing saw. I only had a 372 with me. Miserable. Just miserable. Oh, and no throwline. Got started old school with my lanyard. Never again. Forgive the stubs on the one tree. I was limbing it on my way up, with a 372 and a 24" bar. Doesn't quite let me make my cuts as up close and personal as my climbing saw. I'll finish the other two in the background tomorrow. One is part way done as you can see by the line left in it.

Hey Tucker I know what it's like to be the nice guy. I tend to do more for my customers, friends, and employees at times. As far as the stubs go if I am climbing old school with spikes and lanyard I leave a few here and there to get a rest especially on 100' pines we have here. 140' in 3 hours that's awesome!
Mark

You're just too nice and an over achiever Chris..
Seriously.. you need to take better care of you and let others worry about the predicament they put themselves into.

Sounds like good advice about letting people deal with their own stuff. IMO. I have had a lot of family and friends bail me out in the past when I would put myself in a bad situation or didn't plan properly. I learned nothing from it until everyone got tired of my S*** and started telling me no. The thing I really hated is feeling like I was on everyone's beckon call. It feels better to be more responsible now, but not at first :)

Hey Tucker I know what it's like to be the nice guy. I tend to do more for my customers, friends, and employees at times. As far as the stubs go if I am climbing old school with spikes and lanyard I leave a few here and there to get a rest especially on 100' pines we have here. 140' in 3 hours that's awesome!
Mark

No I did both in 3 hours. Im paying for it tonight. Lordy am I ever. Tired is all. Tomorrow Im going to spank those two in the background. WITH my climbing saw. One is about 100', the other a little bigger. Ive got room on those last two to knock the top out of the one and let a big pole flop with a rope in it. The second has a boat house close to it so Im going to leave a lowering line in the top of the first one I do, and swing the whole top of the second one back into the yard off of the first tree. I'm going to go big on the top, and my rope runner is clear to add enough braking power to swing the top back towards the rigging tree, then let it fly with minimal resistance. If he locks the rope up he will blow the line. he can rope well and so all I need is just enough to get it started it in the right direction.

Nice pics guys. I haven't looked in this thread much lately, should do it more. Here's a few recent pics. First is Friday's tree, dead wood and a few suspect limbs over a new cabin. We have a tree that size to brush it and top in a couple weeks, hangs over some buildings and a propane tank.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370181264604.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370181264604.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 67
  • uploadfromtaptalk1370181281293.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370181281293.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 69
  • uploadfromtaptalk1370181361226.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370181361226.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 67
  • uploadfromtaptalk1370181414154.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370181414154.jpg