The Official Work Pictures Thread

I'd say more than a few of the branches over the road could've been considered a threat, the tree should be healthier without the mass amounts of deadwood in the canopy, and reduce competition with the spruce next to it which we did a little pruning on too.

I'm pretty jam packed with my 8' contractor's canopy with side tool boxes and barn doors. I'd really like a canopy with a hatchback that is a big rain cover. Maybe next truck. I work out of rubbermaid bins that stack and slide. Only 5 saws on the truck (two climbers and 3 rear handle), but it all adds up. I use most things, regularly. I could stand a few small blocks, and leave the bigger ones home.

Willard, no big deal on the redwood.

Damn, you're strong, Tom.

Both are unicenders, one doubled rope one with rope wrench clipped on.

We got 6-12" of snow about 2 weeks ago, that really hammered the trees!

I like it for ascent, almost no set back, and how quick it is to clip on and off. It does not tend slack nearly as well as a hitchclimber or the like... If it did I wouldn't climb on anything else.

Pretty much as I experienced it, too. The slack tending was the real weak point. I found it touchy on release, especially with some ropes...seemed more of a problem for me as a relative light load; a climber friend of mine who carried 80 pounds more than I didn't have that same issue.

Thanks.

I've found them to be a little jumpy when new. I've tried to use them on smaller ropes when new and up to 13mm once they get significant wear. I think I've worn about 3 of them out.

Nice pics. I love log trucks!

Why did you go bare root and how do you get em bare, dig a little ball and then shake? Thanks.

I ordered them bare from the grower. I like bare root for young trees they seem to take to different soil conditions better and have less transplant shock if planted dormant. These trees just came out of the cooler before I picked them and had them in the ground two hours later now they are leafing and happy as far as I can tell. They will be nice for the grandkids.

Thank you, guys. Ray I think the storm took everyone here by surprise, even though we could see snow again as soon as September/October.

....I think I've worn about 3 of them out.

Nice run of pictures, Tom.

That was my biggest gripe with the Uni. It had some holes in it's performance, as Burnham and you mentioned but it was the high wear combined with a high price that irritated me the most. I could destroy one in two months.

The HH was a huge step up in performance and wearability at the cost of being slower on and off the rope. No problem for me. The Akimbo addresses and combines many things into one tool so should make lots of happy climbers.

I can't remember how it hardened, maybe just the action of hammering it down did it.
In the black top, the asphalt is softened by heat to be poured in place. Just cool it and it hardens again. Hardening is relative though because it stay always a little supple. That makes all its advantage in road cover, but when the weather is really hot, the top could become sticky as you all know it.

The quick patch has his asphalt softened by some heavy solvents.They need to evaporate to harden the compound. Sadly, it's very long and actually almost never happens completely. The hammering makes it looks like hardened, but it only imbricates the small gravels. All stays in place (almost) by the high viscosity of the mixture solvent/asphalt. It takes weeks to have a little thickness sturdy enough. When the weather becomes really hot it turns out to be catastrophic (perhaps it's a little too much of a word). Avoid to park or make a sharp turn on a quick patch in the sun, your tires could very well pull out some or at least ruin the surface.
Stiletto heels not allowed too.

Nice run of pictures, Tom.

That was my biggest gripe with the Uni. It had some holes in it's performance, as Burnham and you mentioned but it was the high wear combined with a high price that irritated me the most. I could destroy one in two months.

The HH was a huge step up in performance and wearability at the cost of being slower on and off the rope. No problem for me. The Akimbo addresses and combines many things into one tool so should make lots of happy climbers.

Thanks Dave!

The clip on-clip off is great with crane work. I look at it as one hour saved with a boom truck is almost a unicender rebuild from RE. However, I am with you 100% they wear very quick!

I look forward to the akimbo. Isn't the HH3 coming out soon?

Tamaracks grow up there!?!!@ What the...??? I better start studdying the Arb-book again.

Tom: Forgot to say well done on that prune. That is seriously one of the best before and afters I've ever seen in my life. Wow.

So these pics are weird... They gave the new, young Guy (George) a couple of Pigs to deal with, and sent me to help him. He was a bit slow, but very careful, and a cool dude to work with. Then they (nasty bosses) decided he was too slow, so they gave his job to me. Then they (bosses) had a schedule change and decided (my guess is that Rich is the only one still reading this right now) that they needed to complete the job I had started--but had to temporarily quit so that I could help George--but I finished up early, as did the other removal foreman (anybody confused yet) so we all went out to help George anyway. Here's the three pics of George...

unnamed-759.jpg unnamed-758.jpg unnamed-757.jpg

And here's the two little Maples from my job. (All pics are of Big Leaf Maple. Kinda weird.)

unnamed-756.jpg unnamed-755.jpg

Cool post. How'd you get that um pig up in the truck. More importantly, how do those sidewalls stay put??

Back