The Official Work Pictures Thread

Been working on a large Deodar cedar today. Reduction pruning. Lots of rigging overy buildings. Tricky stuff. Depressing actually. Tomorrow I'll go back and put some cables in.
2016-05-17 21.29.07.jpg

Jed, the drama was a major bank fraud thing I was dealing with where I was hacked in several ways.

You gotta be kidding me. I'm so sorry. Awesome job on that super scary one though. Thanks for the shots.

Reg: They are depressing. Most tedious/difficult job you'll ever do when you've got stuff under ya. Cept for maybe a monster Leyland hedge. I hate view topping... doesn't everyone?

Cory: Pure sillyness. Gerry invented all that with the Fundamentals book when I was BMX racing. Thanks anyway for all the kind remarks, guys.

Great pics, need to catch up on this thread.

A little cedar, not much room, 3 sets of telephone and cable wires also. Rigged most down, chunked and chucked a bit.

IMG_20160518_104039.jpg

IMG_20160518_161742.jpg

Aug, Rich, Reg, Raj... all awesome shots, some big trees you guys getting into ;)

I Got into those 2 dead reds this morn...wasnt even cool at 7am :|:

Backyard, "Fun size" but had a few targets...pool, putting green, fence, sheds, sprinkler pipes and retaining wall with very small DZ

7wQQCY1h.jpg

QkaCJDrh.jpg

went with the famous "Jedi" hinge....not much room to throw tops...

NDoY7Rrh.jpg

AbadumMh.jpg

xWrrct8h.jpg

Vbga6hKh.jpg

uO8LHW6h.jpg

Fine pics, BOTS.

Reg, AH and Jed capiche the 'depressing' term, but I don't really get it, is it cuz they are tedious coupled with the price on the job?

Jed, for sure Gerry wrote the book on hinging, but in the cozy TH world, you have certainly popularized hinge pics.

Man, that one looked tight Peter.

Scott: How cool is that shot of the chunk blowin sawdust. Looked like a mean push.

End-weight reductio ad absurdem on a Cottonwood today. Basically had to sidewall the whole side that the house was on. That's our bucket truck that the salesman gave me to do the job with. What the heck was I supposed to do with that? unnamed-744.jpg unnamed-746.jpg unnamed-745.jpg

What was he smokin Jed? You should call him up and ask him to come set it up for you...

Love the sawdust streaming log push!

Great pics and fun to read you guys.
Cory endlessly large prunes over targets depress me. That's all. I won't likely even do it nowadays. I do what I want.

Fine pics, BOTS.

Reg, AH and Jed capiche the 'depressing' term, but I don't really get it, is it cuz they are tedious coupled with the price on the job?

Jed, for sure Gerry wrote the book on hinging, but in the cozy TH world, you have certainly popularized hinge pics.

I spent 4 hours deadwooding that tree the first day. Then a full day doing the reduction. Back again today cabling. It's a long time messing about in the same tree. Day 2, it's about 1:30, and after working really hard all morning I'm looking around at all the shit branches I've still got to climb out on and rig the ends off. Knowing full well how they're mostly going to get hung up on the way down. It's slow, aggravating stop-start work....and there's no compromise in standard. No shortcuts. All the time I'm thinking, 'I should've put more money on this'....and knowing too that only another climber would appreciate the skill, experience and patience involved in achieving the end result. Not the homeowner....the first thing he's going to ask is why I didn't take more off ? etc. ' that bit you left....that was the main one really'....After 2 full days of friggin' about up there, that's what he's going to say. Probably, the second I touch down, sweating, irritated and with a pile of branches still caught up in the tail of my rope that I'm tripping over that should be been cleared by Darrell....he's gonna come our with some bullshit like that.

Those kind of negative expectations do run through your mind when it's happened a couple thousand times previous. Canopy reduction is often a difficult one to explain to a non tree person. They generally have unrealistic expectations ie, a 25% reduction to me refers to the foliage. Whilst their expectations is that the tree will be 25% smaller. I've been having the same post-prune conversations now for ever it seems. As much as I try to explain it pre-prune, it is never enough.

Reg, This is such a comprehensive explanation of reality, it should be in an arb magazine article for head nods the world around,
"that bit you left, that was the main one really,"
Agghhhhh!
I try to burst all they're preconceived notion bubbles in advance these days but it's still like talking to a post.

Back