The Official Work Pictures Thread

Nothing exciting here either, unless you like Camphor Laurel saplings and stumps.

Cory's posting pictures.=D>

Oh, I know that. They sell burl from them to woodturners here.
I was referring to Eucalyptus globulus the one introduced to North America.
Should have written that in a way that was more understandable, sorry.

I thought you would, I bet they're not cheap.

There's a few Blue Gums. They seem to grow a bit different over there, different climate & stuff.

Eucalyptus globulus is from down south, Victoria and Tasmania. Makes good flooring timber. We have the Sydney Blue Gum, Eucalyptus saligna. Looks more like the one Sam did.

And the Eucalyptus deanei is only around a bit out of Sydney and up north NSW where I'm going, that's probably the best one all round. There's a few others, they keep adding to the Eucalypt list I can't keep up.

I always use Australia as an example when I talk to other wood turners about the lack of different species to turn here.

Off hand I'd say we have something like 16 species that are turnable, you have 4000.

IT AIN'T FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's another dead white pine. This one had some weird stuff going on right below the worst of the beatle damage. Sapped out like a candlestick.

GOPR0665.jpg

GOPR0662.jpg

good job Gren, be safe in those dead ones!

Ive got 2 dead reds to do tomorrow, small and mabey med. size (fun size) ;) in backyard next to pool, barely any room to drop the tops....and can only go up so far without being in danger of snapping top section :|::|:

I should be able to swing over to small one

WyERggk.jpg

Thanks Scott, I had my eye on it. Gotta figure they sit out there taking that lake wind all day and night. Still dumped the top a little lower than I'd planned.

Cheers

Bummer on the lost fir pics!!

Not really... looked the exact same as the last nine million pics I post. You and Griff and Grendel and Reg need to be up in here way, way more, while I need to be up (image wise) very much less.

August: Care to elaborate on the "drama,"? I like to vent in here so my wife and kids don't have to hear it. :lol: (sorry brothers).

Had a hilarious little pruning job today. Hilarious because the lady paid $650.00 extra--I'm not kiddn ya...(Mercer Island folk$$$)--for us to work sans chipper and using only hand tools. Anyway... I fell a 9" diameter Sub-alpine Fir using only my Sugoi. Almost took a hinge-pic, but I was too scared of Andy's taunts.

Not really... looked the exact same as the last nine million pics I post. You and Griff and Grendel and Reg need to be up in here way, way more, while I need to be up (image wise) very much less.

LOL!

I fell a 9" diameter Sub-alpine Fir using only my Sugoi. Almost took a hinge-pic, but I was too scared of Andy's taunts.

You invented, or at least popularized, the hinge pic genre....let it roll!

And if they're not perfect, there is a feeling of embarrassment. Thanks a lot, Jed...

Got me lol Jed,that sounds like a great job for some the electric saws.

August,man of few words with the hinge rebuttal 😂😂 cool ass pictures mang👍

Sam,also stellar pictures. That is a cool selfie,is that taken with the gopro camera?

In that #3 picture that shows the crack in your back cut....seems like the piece you cut out could have slabbed into two pieces before the back cut reached the hinge....right? How did that work out? If it stayed together, WHY did it stay together? And did you know it was cracked all the way through before you set your face cut and made your back cut?

Hep me understand, brother....

That is a deep notch face cut. I had the top wrapped. But I could feel The tremors as it separated on my face cut. Blocked out a monster piece and then slowly released the wrap and it held.

That's what I was asking too Gary. Sounds like the crack propagated down from somewhere a little above where August Cut it, but not all the way out the top.

Gnarly!

Back