The Official Work Pictures Thread

My last for a couple of weeks. I have bad tendonitis in my right elbow, and need to completely rest it for a month.
Last log was over 7 tonnes.
29dafe02ecdc13bb051a62532b0d30e7.jpg

1fbf6d0ed4cbb18e89973e714c43f417.jpg

a23529b3fd384f76e4f1991951cc71fb.jpg

f4bbc9b2402c98bcf841f225fb18033b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Did you expect the last pic to flip like that?
Didn't look like it would do that from the picture.

Did you expect the last pic to flip like that?
Didn't look like it would do that from the picture.

It didn't flip, we laid the butt down and cut one of those 2 leaders off to get the weight down to 5 tonnes so the crane could lift it.

image.jpg
Had to pick a path and stick with it today. Put four of these crispy pines on top of each other. Had them down and cleaned up by two. On the last log I caught and old stump covered in ivy and threw a track. Not completely off but close enough. Being on a hill made it a challenge to put back on. I'm going to pick up a spare wrench for the tensioner and find a spot to clamp it to the machine. Got loaded up and headed home just as it started to rain. It was a good day

Ed read up on Cold lasers. I'm treating a torn medial meniscus with mine right now and fingers crossed after a week it is doing way better

Tennis elbow should be a doddle

What crane was that BTW, nice freaking pics, don't get much better than that. Stout crane with huge paved area to process.....

Ed read up on Cold lasers. I'm treating a torn medial meniscus with mine right now and fingers crossed after a week it is doing way better

Keep us posted Paul, that sounds interesting, hope you feel mo betta soon.

Nice shot. Do you use bars that are shorter than the tree diameter much?

Not very often. Our entire shop runs only two saws per truck. The top handle, and the "big saw." Most crews have a 201 and a 441 with a 28". My friend Chris (who is from Philadelphia) runs a 660 with a 28, but he prefers a 25. Since living out here he has stuck to a 28. I run a 395 or 660 w 32" and never take it off. Our res. work involves falling a lot of trees side-hill on really steep ground, and it can really suck to have to go around to the downhill side to double-cut. My 32 gets clean-through about 75% of the native trees we work on. A 42" Fir we consider an absolute pig. Introduced stuff like Sequoia and Deodar or Blue Atlas Cedar, is quite often much more "pigged-out," or "toads". (short and fat)

Wow am I bored... Sorry brother!

Nothing takes the place of a long bar on steep ground. To do it otherwise is closing in on dangerous, or just plain impossible.

Took my family to our old home town at The Pas this weekend.
I brought my gear with me as my daughter down there had a big northwest poplar for me to take down in her front yard.

I measured it with the stick trick and my Spencer tape, 90 feet tall, 60 feet wide and 43" Dbh. And the trees is only 45 years old!
With a 90° to lay guy line and a linesmen friend lowering the service line, I felled the 60 foot wide beast into a lay bed of only 75 feet wide between the house and 12K powerline grid.
My best straight fall to date in memory and lots of neighbors watched on the sidelines and then helped clean up when I got it down.
I felled it with a Husqvarna 395XP -28" b/c.

20160430_093203.jpg 20160430_142036.jpg 20160430_142327.jpg

What crane was that BTW, nice freaking pics, don't get much better than that. Stout crane with huge paved area to process.....

40 tonne city crane, not sure on the model.

Not very often. Our entire shop runs only two saws per truck. The top handle, and the "big saw." Most crews have a 201 and a 441 with a 28". My friend Chris (who is from Philadelphia) runs a 660 with a 28, but he prefers a 25. Since living out here he has stuck to a 28. I run a 395 or 660 w 32" and never take it off. Our res. work involves falling a lot of trees side-hill on really steep ground, and it can really suck to have to go around to the downhill side to double-cut. My 32 gets clean-through about 75% of the native trees we work on. A 42" Fir we consider an absolute pig. Introduced stuff like Sequoia and Deodar or Blue Atlas Cedar, is quite often much more "pigged-out," or "toads". (short and fat)

Wow am I bored... Sorry brother!

Nah, good info:thumbup:

Left my daughter and her boyfriend a big mess but they'll have wood to burn for a while and very grateful with that big old tree no longer hanging over their house.
With my 395XP I noodle split all the bigger rounds for them to split easier for their neighbor and his little splitter.
3 hours for me to fell the 90 foot tall X 60 foot wide poplar between their house and power lines including cutting it up with help from the neighbors with their little Stihl MS211's and Husky 435's.

43 inch Dbh and only 45 years old....count the rings.:)

Attachments

• 20160430_093328.jpg
    20160430_093328.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 20160430_142232.jpg
    20160430_142232.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 20160430_170835.jpg
    20160430_170835.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 20160430_142036.jpg
    20160430_142036.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 73
Absolutely incredible fall Williard. I especially love that shot where everything is lying on the ground all sawn up. I miss doing firewood style removal work like that. There's just something really fulfilling about it.

I'm assuming you put the 90 degree retainer to hold the tree from the power lines. Did you "use" it? in other words did the retainer ever "engage" or did you pre-tension it at all? What did you tie it to?

Amazingly tight shot. Slap the rain-gutter at all?

Jed, in the 3rd pic you'll see that older multiple stem maple stump, that's where I anchored the guyline to. Exactly 90° to lay.
Pretensioned with a 6 ton come along (actually straightened the tree a little away from the house.)
No way was that tree going to hit the house haha.
Only had 10 foot clearance from the powerline and 2 feet from the house.

My daughter took a nice video off it falling as she had her camera sitting on the ground at the end of the lay plus some nice still pics. I'll post ASAP.

Back