The Official Work Pictures Thread

Great photos and work here from everyone.

We don't do the most amazing large trees everyday by any means, nor do I take photos much, but here are some from yesterday. A job in Boulder. Mountain Ash broken at the base and leaning on the neighbor's house. Ray climbing.

20160408_101257.jpg 20160408_101305.jpg 20160408_101634.jpg 20160408_101642.jpg 20160408_101646.jpg 20160408_101657.jpg

Thank you sir.

We may have over did it with the straps and the guy ropes but better safe than sorry I suppose.

Overkill is better than underkill. I would consider another couple sets of straps with 4x4 posts as a split (EDIT Splint), if needed on a tree. Thankfully, I haven't.

Cool, Levi...not overkill...follow those instincts. The little voice is best followed while it is still small...when it starts shouting it may be too late.

Good call Gary. If I had to do it over I would do it the same way again for sure.

If it was done by some random kid, we had better find proper jobs then :lol:

Are the chains machine ground, hand filed or did you cheat & use new ones?

Hand filed.
As you know, with all the bore cutting we do, being able to match cuts is crucial.
That means being able to cut straight, so I'm constantly monitoring the apprentices to make sure they can do that.

It is not the easiest skill to master I think Stig, however, it is one that will pay back many times over with the ability to cut any tree how they want too.
Learning how to prepare a fast cutting, but not overly aggressive chain is a big part of learning to bore cut IMHO

I free hand milled these Elm boards for a carpenter friend yesterday. He sighted them up, as carpenters do, and was somewhat incredulous as to how straight they were, probably 5-10 mm out over 2.2 metre length.

I did resharpen the saw first, the employees can get a saw sharp but perfectly straight cutting is another skill altogether.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 47
I did resharpen the saw first, the employees can get a saw sharp but perfectly straight cutting is another skill altogether.

Agreed.

Peter, if you have a saw that isn't cutting perfectly straight, after sharpening do you need to cut with it some to confirm it now cuts straight or or can you simply file and know it will now be true?

I would have to cut some to check, just wondering how it is for you. I get the occasional mystery chain that looks perfect but doesn't cut perfect.

Most of the time I sharpen, check/ file rakers, check/ dress bar and that's it.

Occasionally I get a curve ball so to speak, if it's something super important I'll check it first, otherwise it just goes straight out.

I think Peter was referring to filing the wire edge off the rails, then running a rail tightening tool over it after.

Hard to keep a chain cutting straight in long ripping cuts if your bar rails are in bad shape, no matter how well the chain is sharpened.
Cross-cutting is a different story.

Yup, filing off the worn parts off the rails before they chip extends the life of your bars and improves cutting.

Well, sometimes I put mine in a little tuxedo and top hat. Looks sharp.

I prefer more the western theme myself. More casual...
Only done chicken though....
06-chicken.jpg

Me thinks we both have Amelia Bedelia books :lol:

We don't do the most amazing large trees everyday by any means...

Just for what it's worth Levi, to me at any rate, amazing treework is not necessarily about the size of the trees worked per se, but more about their proximity to infrastructure/keeper trees/landscaping, etc. Big trees just tend to be more fun.

Cory: Again fwiw... hand-filing square, I ALWAYS have to check my cuts in the big wood, bar-tip buried or nearly buried... just don't always have the luxury to do so, of course. One little thing fouls the whole system. Last year I was pulling my hair out over this one weird chain... closed my rails, hand filed them flat with the little, blue Pferd jig, hand-filed back to round again, then back to square again... finally threw the chain and bar away. I've come to the conclusion that when an old bar gets a certain chain cutting goofy... the actual TIE STRAPS on the underside can get worn unevenly, producing an unrectifyable condition I've heard Stumper call a "bumfuzzeler." Ohhh lads!!!.... Beware the Bumfuzzler!

Andre: Is that a monastery in the foreground of the Church shot? Man, those were beautiful shots.

Back