The Official Work Pictures Thread

Way to do it, Ray.
Never nice to climb around on a burned structure, waiting for it to fall.
That high line was a great idea.

We had a different one today.
Got a call from our local hardwodd mill, that they had bought some oak logs from Knuthenborg Castle, ( They have a Safari park. Probably the giraffes chewed the trees to death ) that were too big for the saw, so could we please rip them.

The 880 got a workout and so did I.
Put me in mind of Willards pictures of cutting paper rolls with the 090, except that must have been even dustier and more boring than this.
They paid us well, fed us and gave us a tour of the mill, so all in all a nice job.
They import a lot from Africa, Jay would have just about died, seeing some of those boards, like rippled Bubinga 4" x4'x15', if I'd still had my woodworking machines, I'd have offered to swap the job for some boards.
They had some fiddleback maple that was to die for.
P1040207.JPG

Attachments

• P1040212.JPG
    P1040212.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 61
  • P1040215.JPG
    P1040215.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 64
  • P1040216.JPG
    P1040216.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 64
  • P1040217.JPG
    P1040217.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 63
Stig: That last shot was really cool. I immediately knew what you meant about Williards' paper rolls. I got a good lol at "to die for," like... how are all of these American colloqialisms now coming out of the Danelands?

Hey, the bark on that pig looked like Douglas Fir, but then the sapwood didn't. :?

Thanks Andre.

Cool pics and nice cutting Stig!

I always like when Stig gets some pics up on here....I like to see whats goes on in other parts of this world ;)

When the owner of the mill called me, he asked how long a bar I had for my big saw.
When I told him 60" he 'bout shit his pants.

Might be the only one in the country that long.

So don't 24" me, Flushcut:lol:

Andreij, I love your pictures from Питер. Only problem is, I keep thinking of it as Ленингра́д.
I'll get used to it eventually.

Cool pics and nice cutting Stig!

I always like when Stig gets some pics up on here....I like to see whats goes on in other parts of this world ;)

The same goes the other way, Scott.
Especially because I really like the area where you work.

When the owner of the mill called me, he asked how long a bar I had for my big saw.
When I told him 60" he 'bout shit his pants.

Might be the only one in the country that long.

So don't 24" me, Flushcut:lol:

Andreij, I love your pictures from Питер. Only problem is, I keep thinking of it as Ленингра́д.
I'll get used to it eventually.
:lol:

Thanks. I remember my boss telling me about it back in the day. Outdated practice was what he told me.
Ripping logs is another thing I despise. Only had to do it twice. Both times on 7 foot diameter white oak. Miserable time

Shit, guys.
That was done by the apprentice, and I felt a bit bad about showing it.
He did the ends and I, wearing caulks, stood on the logs.
He zig-zagged a wee bit.

Actually, to give him his due, the last week of logging he has really gotten into a nice rythm.
He has always been a precise faller, with a good eye for setting a face cut, but now he is suddenly producing logs like a pro.
He is really happy about it, too, being able to somewhat keep up with the rest of us.
It is nice to see him starting to feel like a logger instead of like a dork.

I just love when they hit that spot, where things start coming together and they don't have to think and rethink every fall and buck, but start going by instinct.
He'll still come over and ask me for advice on a buck ( We buck logs by grading, not by length, so it is a difficult business to learn) But I've told him to always mark the log wher he'd buck it, before asking me.
He is 90% right by now and the ones he asks about, are trees where I have to think carefully before cutting.

Might have us another good faller, here:)

If it was done by some random kid, we had better find proper jobs then :lol:

Are the chains machine ground, hand filed or did you cheat & use new ones?

Back