The Official Work Pictures Thread

I always wondered why not cut a full face and then normal back cut if you are going to cut a snipe which is going to take almost as much time as cutting a full face.

A full width dutchman is kinda scary to me. When cut unintentionally, it is the king of bad cuts by bad cutters.
You have to bend the hinge and break it. It takes force to do this, meaning a pull rope.

When cut intentionally, it is the Magic Cut. You can try it with a double or triple firewood length piece, and move up from there as you get more comfy.

Or the force comes from having cut lean into it. Then, if there is miscalculation, the piece will sit back and pinch the saw, instead of snapping off backwards cuz of the mismatch.

You are right, practice small and build from there.

I don't often work on spruces etc, trees which tend to grow straight with symmetrical trunks, where it seems like the magic cut would shine.

Or the force comes from having cut lean into it. Then, if there is miscalculation, the piece will sit back and pinch the saw, instead of snapping off backwards cuz of the mismatch.

You are right, practice small and build from there.

I don't often work on spruces etc, trees which tend to grow straight with symmetrical trunks, where it seems like the magic cut would shine.

You can use it best on a vertical piece, as you can control all the lean, but I imagine that it can be used to alter the net lean, too, on a leaning piece.

For chunking down a vertical stem, I'd guess it has to be at least twice as fast, if not three times as fast as using a rope if it goes without hiccup, like the rope being pinned. This is without tying up the groundie, or having to pull up the ropes repeatedly. You can knock stuff down fast with this. True story. And it can be safe.

If it sets back, its still a snap cut, so no big deal, just push it. If in doubt, put a wedge or stick in the kerf.

Gord has a thread on TB. Good discussion about it. Couldn't locate it.

Today's thoroughly unpleasant ivy strip.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 64
Or a short felling lever. Most of today's I ripped off with my bare hands, it's not too bad on smooth bark.

So would that be like a cross between Acer pseudoplatanus and Acer platanoides?:lol:

Peter, those are rather remarkable before and after pictures, that was a nasty job. How did you ascend thru it in the first place?

Peter, those are rather remarkable before and after pictures, that was a nasty job. How did you ascend thru it in the first place?

Free climbed the ivy to about half way up, then tied in and climbed limb to limb. No way I was getting a throw line in that lot.

Back