The Official Work Pictures Thread

Thanks B, it's an amazing place. Sven has been building up this neat little niche market that puts us in some of the most beautiful spots on the coast.

That's his new chipper, had it maybe 6 months. I'm feeling super grateful today for the cool jobs, nice equipment, and a great working relationship. One lucky dog

2 rigged removals.

Three shots with the APTA for a 75' ish redirect SRS/ base-tie.

A live alder to spike up, a crusty dead alder to rig off of the live one. Was a little tricky getting them down solo.

Seeing that the alder is smooth barked and a slight lean, its an easy climb/ reclimb to clear the drop.

Rigged down some weight of the live alder into the adjacent maple with a double-whip tackle (rope plus two slings/ biners).

With a Gerry B boomarang shot with steel snap and rope, and some flipping rope to get the end to the ground, i choked the dead alder, natural crotched the live alder going to a base- anchored @Porkbrick Morgan Block. Hung the whole tree, keeping the butt on the ground as much as possible, chunking out little pieces from the bottom, and adjusting the rope in the system. Stretchy 3- strand was a shock absorber...80+ feet in the system.

I hung a pretty beefy part of the tree, accidentally, until i quickly lowered the locked off MB, putting the butt back on the ground, taking a lot of the load.

Hung the remaining top of the live alder into the neighboring maple as the swing zone was not clear of the crusty, dead tree.

5 or 6 snapcuts to get to a 10' fellable stub.

4-5 hours of work.

Chipping tomorrow, and onto the next. 20211018_132440.jpg 20211018_145835.jpg 20211018_145838.jpg 20211018_150137.jpg 20211018_150141.jpg 20211018_160212.jpg 20211018_160244.jpg 20211018_160250.jpg

Attachments

• 20211018_150206_01.jpg
    20211018_150206_01.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 4
  • 20211018_150206_01.jpg
    20211018_150206_01.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 4
Some of both.

I had help enlisted that bailed.

I looked it over the previous work day, thoroughly.

Always have the Abort Mission option available, each step of the way if i didn't have a suitable option.

It all swung down below me.

Once hung, i tripped each piece/ cut with a rope from 20' away.

Pretty straightforward.

One snarl prevented a double-whip clearing, but it was a good time to process the material into piles.

I am interviewing a climber today, as it happems.

GF was going to work today, but she just crawled out of bed with a migraine.

I failed to explicitly mention my 75' TIP/ PSP was in the much taller maple.

I worked at about 15' lower 5' to the side, just above the only crotch on the live alder.

I clean my rope routing of deadwood as needed, so that i don't have overhead hazards to knock loose.

My rope setting, binocular checking, etc. took a cup of coffee and about 20 minutes.

Some before and afters on the big oak on the corner gate at the ranch. Mistletoe removal and hazard dead prune. The cattle hang out under this tree a great deal, so no need to lift it too high. Just enough to get in under the canopy. Left some really low along the ground limbs they like to nibble
Fodder and a monkey in the tree IMG_0506.JPG IMG_0507.JPG IMG_0508.JPG IMG_0509.JPG IMG_0513.JPG IMG_0514.JPG IMG_0515.JPG IMG_0516.JPG IMG_0512.JPG

So for my education as I know nothing about trimming or yoy CA trees. So all you cut out of that tree was mistletoe and dead. It looks aesthetically awesome in the after pics but very little foliage for a healthy long term tree no ?

So for my education as I know nothing about trimming or yoy CA trees. So all you cut out of that tree was mistletoe and dead. It looks aesthetically awesome in the after pics but very little foliage for a healthy long term tree no ?
That,s all i cut out on that one. The mistletoe really screws with the growth and foliage. Ends up killing the branch and/or the tree.
In the next year or two, she'll leaf out great. losing the mistletoe resets the natural drink, feed and dormant cycles of the tree. Less starved for light, nutrients and water the mistletoe is stealing. Eliminates the hormone the mistletoe releases telling the tree to keep drinking no matter water availability.

Do all ivy species more or less affect the tree the same way? Or is that strictly mistletoe?
Mistletoe is different than ivy. Ivy girdles the tree cutting off its water and nutrient supply.
Mistletoe shares the water and nutrients. Stealing from the tree as it is rooted in the cambium itself. Eventually, if the tree continues to try to drink when there is nothing to drink, it creates embolism in the cells that move water (xylem). Tree can no longer transpire water for the air in the cells and the tree dies.

Kyle...no. Mistletoe is not an ivy, to the best of my understanding, anyway. Mistletoe is a true parasitic, whereas ivy is opportunistic, using a tree for support structure, but must be rooted in the ground. Ivy does not take nutrients from a tree it climbs on.

Back