The Official Work Pictures Thread

25degree angle is what works for me ... I take out the chip deflector and hold saw at an angle when cutting , biggest concern is to not draw noodles into the clutch cover and jam up the saw - just have to experiment to find what works best for you! I’m not sure if they have the 576xp at HL , Should be easy enough to look c ... I’ve never owned a 576xp though I heard they were a smoooth running saw ... Just a 395xp and a 572xp, both ported and am well pleased with both !

Nobody out here can even really get the 576’s, but only the 572’s which most people think are worse than the 462’s just because they are lighter. I’ve always wanted to run a 576, but the power to weight ratio looks pretty bad. I just ordered a 500i woods ported from Madsen’s.

Is 25* sharper or more blunt than the factory angle on basic round file chisel tooth?

Nobody out here can even really get the 576’s, but only the 572’s which most people think are worse than the 462’s just because they are lighter. I’ve always wanted to run a 576, but the power to weight ratio looks pretty bad. I just ordered a 500i woods ported from Madsen’s.
Yah the 576s aint no speeding bullet stock

What ... You didn’t send the 500i to Mastermind or Hotsaws101? ... blasphemy!!! I wasn’t aware Madsens were doing full woods-ports anymore , thought they were doing “power tunes” or something of that nature ... I can make that 500i shit n git , just no way round the fact that it drinks fuel like a drunken sailor in stock trim let alone modded ... Until someone figures out how to hack the FI we are stuck with a gas hog :/:

Thx for the vid. The 576 guy had a slow start. I have a brand new unused 572 in my shop waiting to be exchanged for a 576 when it comes in. The 576 has 73.5cc and 5.63hp; 572 has 70.6cc and 5.8hp. How does lower cc yield more HP?

Talkin Chainsaws , not terms of nautical orientation ... hmm 🤔 ... brand new unused 572xp for a 576xp?

What ... You didn’t send the 500i to Mastermind or Hotsaws101? ... blasphemy!!! I wasn’t aware Madsens were doing full woods-ports anymore , thought they were doing “power tunes” or something of that nature ... I can make that 500i shit n git , just no way round the fact that it drinks fuel like a drunken sailor in stock trim let alone modded ... Until someone figures out how to hack the FI we are stuck with a gas hog :/:
Lots of fuel = lots of power. You have to load the engine properly to extract that power.

Thx for the vid. The 576 guy had a slow start. I have a brand new unused 572 in my shop waiting to be exchanged for a 576 when it comes in. The 576 has 73.5cc and 5.63hp; 572 has 70.6cc and 5.8hp. How does lower cc yield more HP?

It could be a number of different reasons. Compression, flow resistance throughout the engine (exhaust, intake, port geomentry), ignition timing, port timing, the rpm they measured the power at... Considering how modifying those various things could easily get 20-40% more power, a 3% more power from the newer model isn't surprising.

Last edited:
Lots of fuel = lots of power. You have to load the engine properly to extract that power. :D
While in theory that is true it most certainly is not always the case ... The 500i is a thirsty-beast in stock trim let alone modded ! A conventional carb can be adj , mtronic will adapt, and like I said previously unless someone can hack the 500i Fuel-inj protocol a guy is stuck with a gas hog ...

If you took a ported 500i and ran it against my hotwoods ported 064 and (assume saws tanks are empty) and used a measured beaker or even a ratio-rite and put the exactly the same amount of fuel in each I would bet the farm that not only “wood” the 064 spank the 500i thru the timber cut time wise, it “wood” do so using less fuel !!! 85cc vs 79.2cc , how can this be ? Port timing ... Now , which saw is more comfortable to use? 500i ...however, the “old-school” 064 is much stiffer side to side whilst the 500i flops around like a freshly caught salmon on the side of the stream ... Lotta guys do not like the “soft” av of the 500i when felling

Last edited:
I always found the 064 to have more torque than top end in comparison to a 066, 660 etc.

SO does the work you do increase the max revs under load?

My 660 is pretty good, it was seized, had it rebuilt, inlet and exhaust ports widened and polished, dual muffler mod and changed the sprocket...

Cuts pretty well but I think I will go back to the 7 pin from 8 sprocket, (Or did I get the the wrong way round?) Either way I need to find the old sprockets I have kicking around.

True that Mick. We have loads of them here.

Unlike the UK you see a large birch and think, that's a big boy.

Over here you see a row of Birch, nothing special, then you throw-in for an anchor and find that there isn't much left of a 60 metre climb line once the base tie is done.

What I am trying to say is they are deceiving, you wouldn't class them as big as they all seem the same size, making them seem smaller.

The Hotwoods ported saws are built for torque , this allows considerable reductions in cut times while retaining excellent fuel economy and longevity of the saw ... There are only so many rpms in the life of an engine so going coo-coo with excessive Higher rpm in the cut is more in line with a “race-saw” NOT a woods or in this case Hotwoods ported saw... There’s a balance between output,heat and engine life ... Remember : HP sells cars ; TORQUE wins races

I was thinking they'd sell well as boutique firewood in the higher end stores around here. Looks attractive sitting in a small pile. Pretty much winter defined.

They sell these things at the Spouts near me, but I think they're "only" $10/log there...

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Light-Go-ESS-Yule-Log/dp/B00Q8ATVF6/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=yule+log&qid=1606484206&sr=8-3&tag=duc0c-20

I could match that price and still have a gravy work day setting it up, though I wouldn't do that stupid 'one match' thing that probably doesn't work. A small pile of birch with a bouquet of birch twigs for kindling. All for $8! Too bad birch doesn't really grow around here. River birch doesn't give the same presentation.

I always found the 064 to have more torque than top end in comparison to a 066, 660 etc.

SO does the work you do increase the max revs under load?

My 660 is pretty good, it was seized, had it rebuilt, inlet and exhaust ports widened and polished, dual muffler mod and changed the sprocket...

Cuts pretty well but I think I will go back to the 7 pin from 8 sprocket, (Or did I get the the wrong way round?) Either way I need to find the old sprockets I have kicking around.
I’ve worked a few ash removals with member @Jonny and while he’s never run the 064 he HAS run the 395xp ... He could give you his unbiased opinions on how the saw cuts

Back