The official "Welcome New Members" thread!

I will do so thabks for the hospitality. I checked your profile and went to your companys website. I dig the go pro video of the ash removals. That green is a good color on the bucket!
It is great that your so eager to learn, and it sounds like you keep yourself busy. I own FJR Tree in Crystal Lake. Give me a holler if you are ever out this way.

Hello everyone! I would like to introduce myself. My name is Jay and I live in Charlotte NC. I just started to learn climbing and have been lurking on the forums for about 4 months. I have learned tons and have acquired a fair amount of gear. I have been rec climbing and have had a few jobs for neighbors. I feel like I have been progressing pretty well but have hit a wall. For some reason I cannot exceed about 35’ either on spurs or on rope. When I get to that point I freeze up, feet start shaking, and start thinking “I can’t do this” and have to come down. Also limb walking is out of the question. I would like to know how you guys got started. Did you just shoot up 80’-100’ and start chucking wood? What was your process to get over your (must I say) fear? I know low and slow is the answer but I have been reaching 35’ for several weeks and still can’t overcome it. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Also, if anyone is in the Charlotte area, I would love an opportunity to learn from one of you guys either on the job or on a rec climb. Thanks

Welcome to DA house jay.
I'm pretty new to tree climbing also.
What I do when I get way up and the winds blowing and some nerves kick in.
I stop and double check my gear.
Look at my lanyard, rope tie in etc..
Also what worked for me limb walking wise is I was afraid I would fall.
So what I did was find a tree with low branches. That I could practice limb walking and I made my self fall just to see what would happen.
Wasn't that bad a little swing. If your setting your tie in point high as you can,and lanyard in on those long
Limb walks you will be fine!!
Practice practice pratice low and slow so its second nature when your up high.
I'm not good with words but I hope this helps.climb safe

Jay....Jay here too. Welcome to the forum. A little message that helped me, was the one about paying attention to what you are doing, not where you are doing it. Obviously that doesn't mean that being at height is not something to have in your consciousness, but concentrating on your work along with the safety element, is the priority. That concentration can replace the fear factor as you build confidence.

Welcome Jay!

Low and slow on the pruning jobs is right!

Go for a High TIP (tie in point) so much easier for limb walking.

Just prune with a hand saw for starters leave the chainsaw on ground.

Just give it time, dont rush it, you will either have it or you wont, trust your gut

Welcome. Getting my trust in my gear took some time, until then I had a few of the quakes as well. When I did I'd relax and hang, then move onward

Welcome! Rajan here. I had trouble with tree sway kind of like sea sickness so I would climb some short really limber trees. It helped me but the key is repetition, get comfy with the gear.

Welcome to the TreeHouse, Jay! My name is Butch - make yourself at home! :beer:

Heights never bothered me - I love it. Just like everyone said - trust your gear!!!

Don't be shy to fill out your profile so we can get to know you better.

Taking people's money to do the work forced me higher :-)) but I remember the feeling you are describing
Reck climbing helps. Maybe find a very large tree with good structure so that you can eliminate doubts about your tip. As for limb walking walk out to the end of the limb (not too long) with a good high tip and jump off.:D

Some folks are just not cut out for this work, new Jay. If 35 feet triggers fear response, I hate to say it, but you may be in that group. No judgment from me, but I've trained quite literally hundreds of candidate climbers over the past 30+ years, and I have to say that at that low height, if your inhibitions kick in hard, you are not likely to ever get past it.

Just my experience, and that's a generalization sort of statement.

If you want to do it, you can get past this...and I know because I had some trouble myself :). Not at 35 feet, but around 75 or 100, in my first years, I had to push myself. And as these other kind members have said, you absolutely have to learn to trust your equipment, and trust yourself to deploy it correctly. If you can do that, you can do as I did, and go beyond what your youthful inner wisdom tells you is the limit.

Good luck, and welcome to the TreeHouse :).

If 35 feet triggers fear response, I hate to say it, but you may be in that group.

That's kinda like what I was wanting to say, but... you know...

I'm such a nice guy...

Jay, you need to read Mr. Beranek's thought on it... "Fear and Nervous Tension," Page XXV

'The Fundamentals of General Tree Work.'

Attachments

• fear.JPG
    fear.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 34
Good quote to bring to the thread, Butch. Jerry knows better than most what's what...and puts it into words far better than I could.

Welcome Jay! You've already got some great advice from some of the best in the game. Practice, practice, practice. Every climb should make you a little more comfortable at height. Butch's quote from Jerry is very true. if you know a good climber who will oblige, climb with him. Having a mentor who will take some time with you will make a huge difference.

Read a book at 30' rather than pushing to go higher. You may want a board to place across two branches to make a seat.

Chill for a while. Get comfy.

Systematic desensitization.

Welcome Jay. :)

I second all that's been said.
Low and slow.
Practice, practice, practice to get to learn, know, and be confident in your gear
and how to properly/safely use it. If you're using quality gear properly it will not
fail you. You must have 100% confidence in every piece of gear you use.
Something else that I'm not sure was mentioned, if you're not confident in the tree
you are climbing or the limb you are tied into climb large trees and tie into large limbs
until you are comfortable/confident in your ability to know what will and will not hold
you while you climb.
Having another climber to help is priceless. I've been climbing for 6 1/2 years and have
not had the privilege of climbing with someone else yet. The Working Climber DVDs that
Jerry Beranek made are my "teacher". Learned a lot from Jerry through his DVDs.
Have learned tons of great stuff through the people here at the 'House also.
There are many here with years of priceless experience willing to share what they know.
This is a great place to be if you want to learn. :thumbup::D

Hope that helps, my name is Randy. :)

Better yet, combine these ideas. Get Ger's book, Fundamentals of tree work, and read it from as high as spot as you can get yourself to.

Thank you all for the great advice and support! I guess my biggest issue is trusting my gear and tree. I'm confident the rope, saddle, and biners will hold. Just nervous bout the TIP and hitch. I have been trying to use the rule of thigh, whatever I tie into needs to be at least as thick as my thigh. Since I'm a big guy (250#) the thigh rule is pretty big. But its hard to get a very high TIP that meets the rule. Sometimes I will shoot for a crotch with at least 4-6' thick limbs but only in hardwoods and big burly pines. Is that a good thing to shoot for?
As far as the hitch, I have been practicing with more wraps and think I have dialed it in for my rope and cord combo. Just still feel nervous about them.
I have the DVD's on my wish list and will definitely get them when money permits.
Thanks again for such great help!!!

That is one of the great paradoxes of our work.
We are extremely safety conscious and know the safe working load of all the components of our climbing and rigging gear, yet we hang ourself from a frigging branch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd say the thigh rule is going a bit overboard when you use your own thigh as measurement..
Go for the thigh of an anorexic 17 year old girl, and it'll fit.

Last edited:
Back