The Official TreeHouse Martial Arts Thread!

Well some pretty good news this week.

We went over to Cork, Ireland for the ISKA 2019 World Championships. Haakon made weight for the 45kg category for the Junior Muay Thai 10-12 years old. He drew a German in a prelim round who pulled out, so Haakon went into the semi finals. He fought an Irish boy in the semi and won convincingly. On the the final against another German boy.

Haakon beat the German boy in the final with an overwhelming performance. 10-9, 10-9, 10-9.

Introducing the New ISKA 2019 World Junior Muay Thai Champion -45kg.

Very proud father moment. Hard work truly pays off.

Attachments

• F2E248B5-EEF8-4270-A755-7EEF20A30893.jpg
    F2E248B5-EEF8-4270-A755-7EEF20A30893.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 513EAAED-2CD6-45FD-A55B-C3F7BC6F4D81.jpg
    513EAAED-2CD6-45FD-A55B-C3F7BC6F4D81.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 19
  • D8AF8834-B25E-4F68-85B9-83C177F2876C.jpeg
    D8AF8834-B25E-4F68-85B9-83C177F2876C.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 75586938-7BC7-4CE5-8AF2-4B4484EA0E01.jpg
    75586938-7BC7-4CE5-8AF2-4B4484EA0E01.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's pretty amazing!

Dont get him mad, Pops!

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/JpYY1zx"><a href="//imgur.com/a/JpYY1zx">Nice left</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He kept his hands low

His skill set must really be coming together...good show, Haakon

Thanks Gary,

Yes he gained great experience and still has stuff to work on but he is getting better. Team England where there and quite a few of their coaches, who I sort of know or are friends of friends of mine. They were commented on the skills of one of the Norwegian Juniors.

They were quite surprised whenI told them the boy they were on about was mine. They didn’t know he was actually born and raised in England. In another life, he could have been on the England team instead of the Norwegian.

I will try and upload a vid of the final to YouTube and post it here if I get a chance.

Thanks again for the kind comments.

As for the comment about his good genetics... of course he has good genes, he is my boy LOL.

I think he has my modesty as well !!! (Sarcasm). ;) ;) ;)

Haakon and his training partner Aiden, same age, same weight, good friends and same result. Aiden best two very tough Ukrainian boys in the K1 category. The coach didn’t want them in the same devision as there would be a high chance they would meet each other in the final.

Attachments

• F19116C7-F0F5-4FFC-A62A-02148EDDAF9F.jpg
    F19116C7-F0F5-4FFC-A62A-02148EDDAF9F.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 19
If I recall correctly, they aren't allowed strikes to the head?

Not sure if that question was directed at me or Butches clip... I have trouble seeing them.

Cory, different organisation have different rules. Generally Junior Muay Thai (outside of Thailand) is often no head contact. In Norway they do head contact but it is light and the refs will offer warnings if it is too heavy.

The ISKA Organisation events are no head contact. Haakon said he felt a bit restricted as they do head contact all the time in sparring. He threw a few punches but not too many, just kicked and Thai clinched the guy a lot. Knees and throws to off balance the opponent.

Thanks Mick.

He can be much better than me, if he wants to that is. I will support him what ever he chooses.

I am just trying to set the foundation of Muay Thai 4 life.

Yes I was curious about head strikes in youth divisions, thanks.

Keep him away from Lethwei...hugely brutal. The MMA stuff is bad enough. Glad to see you looking out for his longterm health. Too many young folks get the "glory disease" and ignore the damage they do to themselves. Cauliflower ears are nothing compared to what happens to the brain, joints, tendons, etc..

What martial art do you think is roughest on joints, tendons, etc?

That is a great answer!!!

I haven't checked stats but I suspect grappling...jui jitsu varieties.

But then you really need to define "rough"...acute injuries, long term, etc. Improper training (due to either poor technique or poor understanding of body mechanics) causes many short term and long term injuries.

e.g...in Bando we never lock out any joints. You will see many martial artist punch or kick to full extension...which means the joint stops the motion, not the supporting tendons and muscles. Most injuries occur at full extension or full flexion..where the joints are often at their "weakest"...their most vulnerable point. Which is why an arm bar does such a great job of breaking an elbow joint when the enemy presents you with a fully extended arm as he punches...or why you pull the opponent to extend the arm so you can work against the bone and ligaments instead of the muscles and tendons. Or why if you do a "duck walk" in a full squat and don't understand how the meniscus of the knee works then a slight twisting rotation in that full squat will tear the meniscus of the knee...and maybe ACL, too....surgery time then.

Lots of punches or kicks at full extension eventually damages the joint involved...poor technique due to not understanding the actions.

Interesting video from a historical viewpoint.
It is amazing how much better we are today.

Back