The Official TreeHouse Martial Arts Thread!

Fedor was an animal.

Not too sure about the effectiveness of the other two in the clips you posted.

I never really understood the whole kata thing even though I used to train karate as a kid. Maybe Stig could give an insight.

Fedor was an animal.

Not too sure about the effectiveness of the other two in the clips you posted.

I never really understood the whole kata thing even though I used to train karate as a kid. Maybe Stig could give an insight.

Kata is a teaching tool, nothing more.
A way to remember tecniques and train them, and a way to pass them on to others.
Somewhat obsolete today, when we can just videotape them.

Unfortunately it has been turned into a competition sport, which has ruined it.
Now it is about screaming loud, posing and looking good.

Personally I have a hard time seeing a 90 pds kata girl as " Deadly".

The Tae Kwon do kata shows what happens when a form ends up removed too far away from reality.
If you want to block a low attack, why start out by moving your hands up above your head.
That sure isn't going to work well.
Neither is punching while stiffly moving backwards, that is somewhat counterproductive.

Haha, but some are more effective that others. That is pretty easy so see.

I like most effective martial arts.

Joe Rogan has some interesting discussions with Bas Rutten about fake martial arts. Over the years many people have been conned by the likes of Steven Seagal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Diggin the thread. :drink:

Being a smoker for 35 years, I've quit so I can spar. Cant believe I've actually quit smoking at 50. Oct 5th I quit smoking Oct. 5th I started TWD. Just amazing to me. Here is Master Chief being a corner man for one of his fighters. IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg Ben has schools in 4 or 5 counties. The school is open minded enuff you can create your own forms. Ben is truly a legend. I asked him if he really knocked out Chuck Norris? . He just smiled.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Glad you quit :thumbup:

Master chief has a Navy background I'm guessing?

Martial arts styles are like religions.

Everyone thinks theirs is The Way.

A lot of that comes from the fact that when someone starts doing martial arts, they don't know enough about it to make an educated choice.
They just pick the nearest one, the one with the most handsome instructor or whatever their good buddy happens to be doing.

Then they are told by their instructor, that their style is the cat's ass.

So they go through life believing just that, without ever putting it to the test.

I trained the style I started with at 17 believing just that, then when I took to travelling, I tried out a LOT of other things.
When I eventually settled on what I do now, I had about 20 years of martial arts training behind me.
Enough to make a somewhat educated choice.
I've stuck with my dojo for the last 23 years because I really like the instructor and his approach to things, not because I think the style is "THE BEST".
I like the place we are at, with an about equal balance between keeping to the traditional way and rembering why we train, which is not so we can do a cute kata at a tournament, but so we can beat the crap out of an opponent in an actual fight.

Last year we had a new " Beginner" come in.
He has done Kyokushin for 26 years at top level ( I've known him a long time, used to teach at his school as a guest instructor+ he is a tree man),
He met my instructor at a seminar, decided what we do is way better and dropped his black belt with all the fine gold stripes in order to start as a white belt beginner at my dojo.
I've been his personal mentor since he started, he is really good to work with.

I really respect somebody like that.

I have met a few like that Stig.

There are a few guys who are high level belts in Japanese Jujitsu and Judo, but they come to BJJ and want the white belt. I see that as a sign of respect to the instructor as they are willing to wipe the slate clean and start again.

In reality these people are smart enough to take what is effective from each style and use it to their advantage but with enough respect to listen to the points being taught at a given time.

It isn't a good way to make friends and influence people if you attended a Karate lesson, for e.g.. and keep telling the instructor 'in ..... (insert and other style) we do it like this and not like that'

I may actually be thinking that. as I am biased to MT and BJJ. But I am certainly not arrogant enough to tell the instructor it is wrong even. If I thought that, I just wouldn't go again, simple as that.

Again it brings a level of respect.

As no one nation has a monopoly on the sunlight, no race, style, creed, religion has a monopoly on the truth...Old Bando saying.

The Bando I study has been described by my instructor as a dumptruck system...over the many years many things have been tried, tested, rejected, kept, adapted, etc. A lot of stuff has been thrown in, some dumped, some kept. It's not usually real pretty to see it used for real...kata can show the refinement of movement that is possible and how it could work in a perfect world. It is also a catalog of movement. It's a good way to train muscle memory for the movement and can be an exercise in concentration, "seeing" and responding to what is imagined.

It did leave it wide open for a 2nd season with a great last-minute cliffhanger.

Kinda strange how they reversed the Danny/Johnny roles.

I wish I'd have followed a path to martial arts back when I was a little one. I think it would have been good for my mental and physical well-being. Rich and Stig have shared their journeys, and it is from their messages that I draw my conclusion.

As it was, all I ever learned in that vein, was my old man teaching me defense and offense with what he called "a stick". In his parlance, a stick was anything one might carry or more likely find when in extremis, that was between 2 and 6 feet long, less than 1 to something like 4 inches in diameter. Wood, metal, even a tightly rolled newspaper or magazine.

I do not to this day know where he learned these skills, but I am pretty sure it was from his military service in WWII, Europe theatre. But not during his pre Armistice years, when he served as a Master Sargent doing unexploded German ordinance disposal. I think it was later; he stayed in theatre for 8 months of what I could only drag from him decades later, were "challenging times". Still don't really know what that meant. But he had some out of the ordinary skills with a stick, which I am happy he taught me at the tender age of 12, after a schoolyard bully bloodied me some :).

If you think I now might appear a weak old gimp, an easy target, using my hickory or walnut walking cane, my aluminum hiking staff...think again :D.

I think that those lessons have always served me in one very powerful way...I do not fear adversaries. That attitude alone has carried me past some potential bad scenes.

As I believe proper martial arts training would most likely do for anyone.

You teachers, like Stig, and mentors, like Rich...I applaud you.

Burnham, you do realise you have the origins story of a city vigilante right there?

Maybe you should change your name to something a bit more discreet? After all we don't want the Feds knowing that you and 'caneman' are one in the same.

;)

Spoonman's the man!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T0_zzCLLRvE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:D

Burnham, you do realise you have the origins story of a city vigilante right there?

Maybe you should change your name to something a bit more discreet? After all we don't want the Feds knowing that you and 'caneman' are one in the same.

;)

;)

Back