The Official Rope Walker thread

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Jon,

How's Portland treating you?

PDX might be a cooler choice than Seattle.

When I'm down there sometime, maybe grab a drink.

There is a TreeHouse Introduce Yourself thread here somewhere.

BTW, there is another Jon from HI here.

Welcome Jon,
I'm Randy. I put together a "Redneck Haas" rope walker system. Here's a climb using it just 10 days ago.....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5ZupPhodmvM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sweet vid randy-how does the cooper hitch run w the hitch hiker? I've only ever used the prescribed hitch, but experimented a fair amount with different cords.
Sean-Portland is cool, I've been learning a ton that I don't think I would have had the opportunity to learn in Hawaii, although I do miss it, and the weather, a fair amount. That would be great let me know anytime you are in town.
And that's Jon Perry. Nice guy, tough climber.

You need to watch that tie in with the biner Randy. You were loading the gate. Best to use just a bowline if you can't set the biner correctly with the spline against the tree proper.

Easy enough to leave the steel biner on the end, and tie the RB, then clip the tail as your safety. Biner is still ready to go when you get up there, and you can still snag the biner for remote retrieval with a pole saw or pole hook.

Sweet vid randy-how does the cooper hitch run w the hitch hiker? I've only ever used the prescribed hitch, but experimented a fair amount with different cords.

Cooper's hitch works good, I want to put some more time on it and see how it works in "different work conditions". ;)

You need to watch that tie in with the biner Randy. You were loading the gate. Best to use just a bowline if you can't set the biner correctly with the spline against the tree proper.

You're right, I honestly wasn't paying attention when I set it. Thanks for pointing it out..... :|:

image.jpg image.jpg Here it is, super minimalist, but some high quality stitching and craftsmanship if i say so myself.
Blake's hitch tightens around boot, stitched tight eyes attach to croll, and bungee (39 cents a foot!) doubled and fastened with a double fisherman's knot at carabiner. A few rubber band loops to keep it all tidy.
Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow. Thanks again all for commenting.
Jon

Oops i guess I attached it twice, but that's better than not at all. I've got to learn this new system.

Jon, that's about as close to mine as you can get. My elastic is knotted along the length like a rock climbing daisy-chain giving me clip in loops and a thumb catch.

What are you clipping to, up top. What advances your climbing system (RW/ HH)?

I use the hitch hiker with a small stitched accessory cord loop, tended with LOTS. As simple as, no extra stuff.

I've been looking for a bit of video(can't remember where I saw it)of using a loop runner for a chest harness. :?
One of the guys that subscribed to my YouTube channel asked me about tethering a HH(I invited him to the 'House a few times),
I think it was one of the guys here.
I made myself a LOTS, love the adjustability and comfort, but will probably go with the loop runner chest harness. It's out of the
way and I don't have to think about it once I unhook at the top of the climb..... :D

Yeah that's what I do...crisscross a loop runner around my chest, got some marine store clips and clip into a bit of cord tied to the HH. Easy as!
It acts a little like a croll I guess, helps keep me upright, and like you say is out of the way for the rest of the climb but super easy to clip in again for a bit of an ascent.

Yeah that's what I do...crisscross a loop runner around my chest, got some marine store clips and clip into a bit of cord tied to the HH. Easy as!
It acts a little like a croll I guess, helps keep me upright, and like you say is out of the way for the rest of the climb but super easy to clip in again for a bit of an ascent.

Ayuh,
the more I use it the more I find that to be true..... :thumbup::D

A dedicated chest harness of some variety, worn full time like Bermy and a few others have described, is far smarter than using your lanyard...for exactly the reason she and Randy mention.

I'm not advocating a "real" chest harness as necessary, though that's what I use. A simple tied webbing or rope loop or daisy chain does just fine...not as well as a chest harness, but close enough.

Back