The Official Random Video Thread!

If I was richer than all the many gods, I'd be all in :D.

But just to play devil's advocate...there is a rarer than hen's teeth early 2000's Jaguar XKR coupe on offer here in the PNW. There were less than 1400 of these built, ever. I am again seriously tempted :).

I wonder what's wrong with it? $9k sounds low for a collector's item. Might have been wrecked.

I'm a big fan of footwear and always wondered how this was done. Interesting and basically simple with a few of the right tools, esp the stitcher, and glues.

Interesting. Those mofos must be stiff as hell.

Back in the day I was a big fan of that gnarly logger heel, these days, yeah nah

They take a while to break in, for sure.
But when you have them custom build, nothing on God's green Earth compares IMO.

Unfortunately they stopped making the Timber boot with steel toe protection.
I was going to swing by them this spring and order a new set.

Their fitting room is fantastic.
Like taking a trip back to the beginning of the 1900s.

Oh hell no!!! I'm fine if I'm tied in but I get the heeby jeebies just getting close to any high place. In a saddle or in a lift, I don't even think about it.

That was quite simply one of the coolest, fun vids I've ever seen. :dude:

I wonder what some of those small items were that he was after, e.g. @ 1.44

Oh hell no!!! I'm fine if I'm tied in but I get the heeby jeebies just getting close to any high place. In a saddle or in a lift, I don't even think about it.
Me too Brett, in spades. I can do anything under any amount of exposure, tied in. I've worked over many a cliff, off many a tall structure, at the top of many a 200+ tall tree. Otherwise, I'm a total weinie. My lady M can walk right up to a 1000 foot exposure cliff and lean out to look over...me, I'm back 20 feet and holding my balls tight to keep from rolling into a fetal cringe :).

I will say tying off in construction is very different than trees. With trees you can sit back into your harness and feel support, and can move around on that support, in construction you don't feel that you are tied off at all, and you know you are falling a ways before you hopefully are caught, and that it will be a race to pull you up before suspension trauma sets in. Up in the steel like that if a crane couldn't get to you in time you would likely die even tied off.

Strange. Seems like two micro-footloops that deploy with the decelerator-lanyard would be all it takes to avoid suspension trauma, in an uninjured person, or a loop that comes down under your feet.

At a hanging-belay (a no-ledge anchor-station between 'pitches') in rock climbing, "standing in slings" is a thing, as rock harnesses are not comfortable at all by comparison. This can need to happen if you are stuck mid-pitch between ledges, for some reason, too.

Strange. Seems like two micro-footloops that deploy with the decelerator-lanyard would be all it takes to avoid suspension trauma, in an uninjured person, or a loop that comes down under your feet.
From back when I was asking about a construction helmet, I made this for my fall harness...

20190814-155247.jpg

Just clips to the hip straps of the harness, and I had it rubberbanded to one of the straps. Pull it out, clip to the other side, adjust with the prusik. I guess it works. I didn't have to use it :^D

I hate walking steel. I can climb up and down fine, but walking laterally on beams, I feel like I'm just floating around, and I get vertigo. I also hate ladders. I prefer climbing up the forms to using the bouncy, tilted ladder.

I still occasionally mull over setting something up for self rescue, but I'm not sure what exactly. The whole setup of a fall harness makes it difficult to do anything for yourself.

That is the great benefit of using a sit harness over a fall arrest harness for life support. I'd rather take the chance risk of whiplash injury from a fall on a sit harness over the near certain damage/death that suspension trauma holds in store.

But then, I am after all a tree climber :D.

They make a loop thing for just that Sean, but that costs more and they have old harnesses that fulfill the requirements so that's what you get. Very few come with dees on the side for work positioning, and if they do they often come with a padded 6 inch back belt, but without a lanyard it's just completely useless and restricts mobility. Without an actual seat self rescue is a pipe dream at best, assuming you aren't injured in the actual fall. I used to climb out on a pipe rack where you couldn't get a lift to easily (or at all), haul up a bucket and welding lead with a rope from below, wrap my off arm around the pipe and then weld squatting, kneeling, laying, e.t.c in whatever position I could get to even half ass see the puddle, holding on with my off arm/ elbow feeding wire. Still do on occasion, did some tig welds in a cogen plant earlier this last year that they didn't plan out with scaffold and everything.

I have a 3 stand lanyard that I'll occasionally use, but most industrial jobs anymore are very particular about you bringing stuff. If it's not theirs and you are injured, it's their problem so they just say no way to everything. It's all contractor and project dependent tho. You often are required to use 2 fall arrest lanyards, and anymore they often require that they are yoyos (self retractables), so you have 10 pounds hanging off your back in the most awkward way possible. So you basically are still doing what those ironworkers are doing, but with something on that might save you but makes your movements infinitely harder to do in the first place. We really haven't gotten far from the one hand for you, one hand for the ship:lol:

Bah! How do you figure that Stig??

Back when it mattered.......the Krauts didn't have a diesel tank in any numbers, it took 7000 individual Germans with a caliper each to assemble one bogie wheel.....over the span of 43 weeks, and they never had sufficiently protected supply lines.

My vote is for the Russkies.

Back