The Joke/Funny Pic/Video Thread

SpjNuZI.jpeg

I started dabbling in electronics in grammar school. After blowing several fuses (yes, our house was THAT old), my dad signed me up for some classes before I burned the place to the ground. When I was around 10 or 12, I advertised in our local neighborhood newsletter for small electronics repairs. I fixed quite a few radios and tv's for our neighbors.

That breaker tie is like plugging your T&P on a water heater/boiler.

Nah, it'll simply melt the wire which could start a fire. A stuck welding rod will do a similar thing, eventually melting the rod in half, it used to be a way to test a machine quickly to see if the coils are still good by seeing how long it takes. A boiler can blow up the house, steam is an incredible source of energy and when the vessel fails the water is heated above 212 degrees, so it flashes into steam too with a very explosive force. Here's a little water heater...

Yes and no lol. I once narrowly missed getting burned alive by a 3" 300 pound relief valve, went off right beside me about 3 foot away. We were demoing pipe above a big cable tray on the side of a chemical plant, roping down 3 or 4 inch pipe sections, such a good spot compared to my usual i didn't even clip in there. The next thing i know i hear this ungodly loud growling sound and then boom right next to me lots of heat and fog. I rolled away from it on the cable tray, pulled off my hard hat and glasses so i could see again, and then i was gone, shooting down that cable tray like a dog on an agility course climbing over and under all the pipes and stuff in the way. When i was 3 tanks away i heard the foreman yelling "where's Kyle!!", so i yelled back "way the ef over here now, and I'm headed to the smoke shack for the rest of the week once i figure out a way down" :lol:

But yes that much power in anything is super cool and kinda terrifying, and very humbling. You'll walk in on a small plant outage and they'll be blowing down the system, and hearing that deafening roar is a hell of a wake up call for what you're about to go mess with. I got to work on some smaller boilers that fed a college campus, each boiler was around 29,000 hp or so, simply helping a tech get them dialed in after a piping retrofit. Watching in real time him put this semi trailer sized inferno monster through its paces was really cool, of course the powerplant ones are way way bigger, but I've never got to see a boiler revved up and down kinda like a car engine before, which is how they get the best flame pattern for the boiler.

20130228_163709.jpg

Imgur sucks. I post their links cause it's easy to copy/paste. I don't even see the imgur video links I post here. I block a lot of content, and imgur video shows up blank. I submit a post, and think "I guess that worked" :^D

Could you see the electric cord/circuit breaker still pic(post 10,008 )? If not, that's a little concerning. If you aren't blocking content, I'd suspect a malfunction with your computer, maybe malware.

@lxskllr I saw the one you just mentioned. I'm pretty tech savvy so, not to toot my own horn, but I don't think there's an issue on my end. That isn't to say there isn't an issue on my end haha

Back