The Garden Thread

I'll be having a giant garden this year. Prime soil and spot for it at my new place. I can hardly wait to be plucking fresh produce.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Finally finished my raised beds the other day. 48' long. I have 12' in a dozen rasberries and 12' in 5 different types of blue berries. Not sure what to put in the middle sections yet

Attachments

• 2011-03-31 18.09.14.jpg
    2011-03-31 18.09.14.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 2011-03-19 16.11.41.jpg
    2011-03-19 16.11.41.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 2011-03-19 17.34.49.jpg
    2011-03-19 17.34.49.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 2011-03-19 17.07.42.jpg
    2011-03-19 17.07.42.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 2011-03-31 18.11.44.jpg
    2011-03-31 18.11.44.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 2011-03-19 14.21.54.jpg
    2011-03-19 14.21.54.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 2011-03-19 13.56.14.jpg
    2011-03-19 13.56.14.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 4
  • 2011-03-31 17.58.50.jpg
    2011-03-31 17.58.50.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 5
Hey, thats not pressure treated lumber is it? :/:
What else to plant? At this time, spinach, lettuce, onions and garlic, they can handle the cooler weather, after that, strawberries and tomatoes! If you have space, try a half barrel with mixed herbs. :)

Irrigation?

Cedar Paul, better than pressure treated and looks and smells better

I may do herbs out front. Getting near late for cold weather crops. I don't need tomatoes, see my first post in this thread! i have been kicking around strawberries.

ah, yes, gramps does tomatoes right? RE pressure treated, you arent supposed to use it for food gardens, too much copper etc in the treating chemicals. Cedar is muy bueno. Strawberries are a good ground cover. How about bush beans abd bush peas? Great for the kids to get involved. Ayden likes the garden, he was going to Heytell Trev to let him know but he became shy when I held the phone out for him. Maybe later :)

For the cool weather crops, my lettuce etc did fine until about June when it was in the 20's during the day and mid teens C overnight, thats when it bolted. Stupid lettuce.

Beans is a good idea, we eat lots of them! Thinking rhubarb too.
Trevin would get a kick out of that.

I never had much of a hankering for rhubarb, my ma used to make pies of it but I dunno. I planted bush beans, too much work to make trellises and such for pole beans although you could probably sling some pea netting on the fence.

No, I don't want to have to unwind the vines from the fence!

Willie, your garden looks great. Can you go ahead and lay a soaker hose through it now while it's easy?

when my kids were little I planted a ring of the tall sunflowers, grew beans at the base so they climbed up and made a little 'room'. Sounded and looked great....but.....turns out that the local wasps LOVED the sunflower plants. I wonder if I took a picture of that.

Just looks like the pooch was helping water... ;)
attachment.php

No, were at field capacity, thats water oozing up trrough a hole in the plywood

Che, I have a couple 1/4" drip soakers I'm going to run through there

You can plant beets 4 weeks before your last frost date and carrots and radish 2 weeks before. You could push that date quite a bit. Your raised bed will warm up and dry out earlier. I think you could go 6 and 4 weeks, maybe more.

peas and beans sprouting here, first set of leaves about half an inch above soil. :) A couple weeks and I will sow out the next round.

It's too cold here yet .The day lillies are poking up through the ground with an array of spring flowers .I don't see any buds on the trees yet .

It won't be until mid May before it's garden time .

Finally dried up enough to get into the garden. I transplanted a couple dozen 'volunteer' Honeoye strawberries that have been growing in the daylilies. Used the free mulch I got from the city last week and filled up the kids' old sandbox. I mulched the whole thing with pine straw. Since there were already strawberries formed, I may lose some of them, but the runners will set later and I'll have a nice strawberry patch with a bench seat at both ends.

Got the tomatoes and cucumbers out and mulched, and my first 32' row of half runner beans. I'll plant more beans in a couple weeks.

Would have done more but my back told me I was done.

Che, I am guessing you end up with more than your family can consume, do you give away the rest or sell it :?

Hope I can get some return from the vegee garden I've put in. I worked up the soil ok I think, but the amount of sunlight could be better. My first try. I love eggplant, especially the Japanese variety, smaller and sweeter than the big ones I remember in the US. Anybody plant them? If I just get those I'll be happy. Tomatoes would be nice too. Cukes I get in large quantity from the neighbor who can't take the crooked ones to market.

J, would you like any seeds sent over for your garden? Anything you might not find in the orient from back over here?

Che, I am guessing you end up with more than your family can consume, do you give away the rest or sell it :?

No, I end up with just about enough....what I don't use goes into the compost. I can the beans in quart jars, and they usually just make it through the year til the fresh ones are ready. Not this year though, stringing was hard last fall (hands.) I grow only THREE plants of the slicing tomatoes, this year all 'Pink Girl'....and 6 - 8 Romas for canning. That's all.

Paul & Jay, are there any restrictions about sending seeds to Japan? Sending plants is very complicated, but I don't know about seeds.

Back