The Garden Thread

Well yeah you can .Some like pickled stuff like califlower,carrots etc . I really don't although occasionally it's not bad .

The green fried is just old country stuff I guess .Those you either like or do not .

I grew up about half hillbilly /countryfied so it's all good to me .Well some is all good ,some not so .

They have a taste all their own although they remind me of egg plant somewhat . I really jazz them up,parmesan cheese the whole nine yards. Yum .

Ate our first hubbard squash from the garden tonight. Katy, Rob and the kids have never had it. I spent enough time in NE to learn to enjoy the winter treat :)SO I took a portion of about a 30 lb squash, baked it off with just some butter, salt and pepper. Of course us adults loved it, the kids are perplexed and wondering how much they are going to end up eating looking at the size of one of them, knowing there are many more in the garden :lol:
I think either Katy or Rob have some pies planned :/:

I ate some kabocha squash soup yesterday, today, and will probably indulge again tomorrow....from ones I grew. Garden is about over now, a few green peppers still on the plants, tomatoes too, but they might not make it to red. It was a successful garden, got a lot of enjoyment from it.

We took a frost right after that good storm blew through. :( No more peppers or tomatoes. :(
But........
Cold weather crop is well on its way :)
More lettuces, rutabagas, cabbage, kohlrabi, beets. We have a good store now of spaghetti, hubbard, butternut and acorn squash :)

I've got a question about composting. I recently ound an old truck tool box in my backyard. I want to use it as a mini compost bin. Imagine, one side push all your green compostables, stir and sit and stir. Then just push more ontop, repeat, til it reaches the other side o the truck tool box a rich soil. Something like this but longer with smaller doors. Am I being silly?

Attachments

• DT_87_truck_tool_box_3x.jpg
    DT_87_truck_tool_box_3x.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 15
I think as long as the compost gets the development of aerobic bacteria (earthy smell), and not just anaerobic bacteria (bad smell), you are in good shape. Aerobic goes quicker. That's where the exposure to air comes in.

I have a compost pile where I just throw things, never turn. It will eventually compost, but slower.

Better is the sunken garbage cans with red worms: Take a plastic 30 gallon can, drill a bunch of 1" holes in the bottom and up the sides and sink it up to the handles or a bit under where the lid sits. You can put it near the house without being too unsightly, looks like a couple lids on the ground. Easy access to the kitchen veggie scraps. I don't turn it either, but it all turns to black...except for the eggshells.

I made a new one this year, traded a big fishing net I picked up at a goodwill for a pint of redworms at the local bait shop. :)

Thank you, Composters. We have city compost service but it'd be rad to just keep it in the back yard. Our soil sucks, but we could ammend the heck out of it.

I've got a few different compost bins, that should make a good worm farm.

Some info to help you get started. http://www.resourcesmart.vic.gov.au/documents/Worm_Farms_fact_sheet.pdf No citrus, onions or bread for best results.

Mine has a tap, you get some good liquid fertiliser that way.8)

worm_farm.jpg

Back