The D.M.V.

• Thread starter Frans
  • Start date
  • Replies 26
  • Views 3K
F

Frans

Department of Motor Vehicles

I got this email today from a friend. Kinda refreshing to hear something good about this agency.

YOM= Year of Make
109SW= Land Rover '109' (109" wheel base model) SW= short wheel base
in case ya'll are wondering

I had a very refreshing experience today at the DMV after
nearly an
hour of frustration. I'm still trying to get my YOM license
plates for
the 109SW. This was my third trip in 4 months.
Anyway, long story short: after explaining the law to a DMV
worker,
the co-worker next to her leaned over to me while she
stepped away
momentarily.
He said, "Dude, I know how you feel, but nobody can keep
this stuff
straight. All we are is tax collectors. The state wants you
to pay 45
bucks for a
license plate? This whole place is dedicated to extracting
your money.
The DMV is basically run by a bunch of sheltered housewives
with no
real-world
life experience or problem solving ability."

Finally some honesty!

I like pickin on Snarf as much as the rest, but if you ever dealt with the California Department of Motor Vehicles you would know his gripe has echoed throughout the state.

The CA DMV has got to be the most atrocious government entity . Only second aside from the IRS of course.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey!! thats my friend who sent that to me.

Give me another day or so and then I will start whining ;)

Today I actually felt my cholesterol raise because I stood around all day.

I remember when I bought my trailer, used, from a guy that had never tagged it. I went in to try and tag it. They said I couldn't, they wanted me to get the original owner to buy a tag, pay the back taxes then I could tag it after he had done that. I asked if I could just pay the taxes, they just want money right? I was told that I wasn't the name on the title so I couldn't do that, it had to be the original owner.:?

"Yeah, I just came from the DMV and I need you to pay the back taxes on the trailer you just sold me, and buy a tag that you will never use, so I can tag it myself."
I don't think that conversation would have gone well! I had to get rather "creative" to pull that deal off, but it's taged.

You guys need to travel the world, researching the policies of foreign DMVs compared to in the states. You will likely gain a fresh and more positive outlook on your "friends" at the agency. Don't let me stop the complaining though.....

Here, our DMV are the cops. They make you watch dumb movies about every time you have to go in there, similar to Sergeant Preston of the Yukon, with his horse Rex and his faithful dog, Yukon King! King can smell when people aren't wearing their seat belts, and the cops in there are the ones who failed the exam to make detective, so relegated to license and traffic authority until retirement. Still, they have detective ambitions that they like to show. :|:

I remember that the black women in the California DMV seemed nice. :) They probably went home and listened to Miles Davis and sipped gin, instead of watching TV all night, like their co-workers.

I don't care where you live gov. agencies can be a pain in the neck or lower . All it takes is some little pip squeek with an ego problem to ruin your day .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't care where you live gov. agencies can be a pain in the neck or lower . All it takes is some little pip squeek with an ego problem to ruin your day .

That is true for anyone with a small mind and given a desk and power over others.

That is true for anyone with a small mind and given a desk and power over others.
I sometimes wonder if the mind is the only thing that is small .:/:

Oh they are not all bad,fact there are more very helpfull gov employees than out right plicks . Those few peckerwoods seem to leave the more lasting impression ,sad to say .

The best way to deal with government workers, is not to allow them to be peckerheads to begin with. Before getting down to the business at hand, you first ask them for their name, and even if it is Sam Jones, ask them to slowly spell it for you, as you are writing it down on a piece of paper with a serious expression on your face. That alerts them immediately to the possibility that their work attitude is under possible evaluation by a higher up authority, an ever present concern within their pre-lobotomy consciousness. It's amazing how just those few words can elicit such a profound demeanor adjustment before your eyes. If they also have some kind of badge number to jot down as well, it's even better! I used to always do that with immigration, and it worked every time. Try it!

For me ,I get my head right,in so many words before I even deal with them .

Kind of like programing not to let the mouth get going before the brain is turning over . It's the old honey and vinegar thing to draw flys . You have to somehow get it imbedded in your head you are dealing with a system not a person . Works for me at least .

I bet it does work! :thumbup:

Yeah, it seems that having informed their name, gives an easy means by which a government worker could get called to task for some irregularity, including being unpleasant. They don't know what's up, but for sure they are a wondering. I've had some lady govt. workers who started out like we were face to face in "wrestlemania 2", end up showing their pearlies, and wishing me to have a good day, "sir". Some, you almost have to tell to lighten up, or they'll be wanting to follow you out to open your car door for you. It's pretty funny!

Nobody ever refused to give their name, or ask why I wanted to know. If they did ask why, I'd say, "Oh, just for the record".

I've got to say that our RMV isn't the worst. There is stupid bureaucracy, but the people you are actually dealing with are ok to deal with. The stupid book value sales tax really gets my blood boiling, however.

I try and do everything over the internet or the mail but the last time I went in the lady was quite helpful. They had you take a number so you didn't have to stand in line you got to go sit down until your number was called. I paid electronically so that wasn't a hassle either. I went to Turlock and it was pretty busy. I had to wait maybe a hour to see someone. I ran into a young lady that my daughter went to school with. Best girls basketball player to ever come from our school. She had just returned from playing in Europe and had given up on a WNBA career. Her license had expired while she was gone.

I do the same as Jay but go a bit farther, after I get there name I ask for there supervisors name and #. When they they ask why I say "in case I don't get the answers I need from you" (or something like that.

If they refuse to give me the information about their supervisor I advise them that I will pass that bit of information on up the ladder.

I made it to the person directly under our Sec. of State here in MI with this strategy, and got an immediate response to my inquiries. They were also interested in knowing why they were talking to me, and I told them.

I've never worked in one, but I would suspect that there is a lot of pressure in those offices, to not stand out in any special way, and that includes being a hard worker or being a particularly nice person to the customers. If somebody starts setting standards like that, I think it would tend to bother the more mundane workers who have no interest in going the extra mile, probably comprised of the majority. It could make life a bit difficult within the confines of the office world, and a nice helpful type person could have a hard time dealing with that, the stress from it.

Back