The Crushing Of The Blaster

Sumbeech!!! I just drove my truck for the first time in nine weeks! I'm almost ambulatory again!!!

:D :D :D

Thats GREAT!

I keep thinking about the psychology of having an injury like that.
Think about it for a moment:
Butch (& Ger) are both folks who have spent years and years working outdoors.
Their must be alot of mental adjustment to being forced to be idle and indoors.
Much more than someone who has spent their career in an office. I am thinking a huge part of getting better is simply trying to be positive about everything.

For those of you who have a chip against Butch, now is the time to try and take him down while he is on crutches! :lol: Watch out for that back swing with the crutch tho, it is a doozy!

I told Gerry he might want to re-locate into his livingroom where there is a big window. He said it would just make him depressed seeing the sunshine out there.

I told Gerry he might want to re-locate into his livingroom where there is a big window. He said it would just make him depressed seeing the sunshine out there.

F the living room, he needs to set up the recliner out on the front porch! :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No, he needs to get his ass to the biggest, coolest room he's got cuz he's gonna be there for a while. Laying in bed nearly drove me wacko.

Whats your goal to climb again MB will you walk around a bit on spikes as you heal>?

It's gone down, but not a lot. I'm coming up on week ten. The open wounds are almost completely closed, cool. I still don't have a full ROM, but I'm working on it.

Are you doing any physical therapy yet ? I can't remember if you mentioned it. Glad to hear things are slowly getting better. Dang, what a long-ass haul.

Any physical therapy will be home administered. I just gotta learn to walk again, I don't need anyone to show me how to do that. Besides, I went through all of that once already, it ain't rocket science.
My treadmill will come in handy, especially the handrails.

Hardly any at all. I'm practicing walking by using one crutch, so that's a step. The foot is still swollen and I need to get my ROM back to normal. This is taking a long damn time, I see. The open wound is nearly 100% closed, I'm hoping this will be the last time I need to bandage it.

I'm getting there. The worst part is all this good weather I'm missing. Crikey!

Don't rule out going to a physical therapist, Butch. If you can find a good one, they can evaluate you, set you on the right track...and then turn you loose to work at home. Just be upfront about how much time/$$$ you're willing to spend.

Mine gave me a 'self-help' fix for my back last year (?) and I haven't had to go back until yesterday....and that was my own fault (pulling the calf out of the mud/creek last month.)

The line between good pain and bad pain is sometimes hard to figure out on your own with injuries. It helps to get some guidelines where you can push things, and where you need to kick back. IMHO, of course.

Being on a prescribed physical therapy program could be a good idea...I broke an ankle (not tree related) about 10 years ago...when I got the cast off the orthopod said no PT was necessary, just walk it out.

My friend that was a phys. therapist said the MD was nuts. Adrian gave me about 10 different exercises to do (e.g., picking up marbles with my toes, spelling the alphabet with my toes, specific strengthening and stretching exercises for the ankle and foot, alternating hot and cold soaks to flush the injured area - to improve circulation and get good nutrients in and toxins out, etc.) It worked wonderfully...I can't tell today which ankle I broke.

That's my take on it.

I've never broken a foot but I can tell you my experience when I wrenched my knee last year that the alternating hot and cold packs works wonders for reducing swelling. My injury was a month old and still swollen when I started with the alternating ice/heat in the evenings. Within 3-4 days the swelling was almost gone. You might consider giving it a try, Butch. About 10-15 minutes ice then 10-15 minutes with the heating pad on low for about 3-4 cycles per evening.

Damn, was that post really worthy of a banning? 15 seconds after posting, I was forbidden access to any part of the forum! Thanks for un-banning me after only a half hour!
:P

Back