Thai Kick boxing

jamie

Wud Kutta
Just had my first class in Thai kick boxing. I was paired up with the only other noob she looked at my shoulders, going easy i still hurt her arms. but then she kicked to high and got me in the hips.

good fun i've found out and a complete workout.

thats it

Jamie

It sounds like they're trying to do to much too soon??? I've studied a few disciplines and none of them jumped into it like that. The martial arts are cool!

my old thai boxing teacher was bad for that. we'd get new guys turn up and he'd have them kicking tyres with their bare shins on day 1....needless to say most of them didnt come back for more....for about 2 years there were only about 3 of us in the class because of that.

My Muay Thai experience was equally brutal. That was the best thing about it. It was a huge confidence builder to know that you can take a beating, but still be able to dish it out. I don't think anyone is ready to defend themselves until they know what it feels like to get punched in the solar plexis, kneed in the ribs, and kicked in the head. It does scare people away, but those folks are really doing themselves an injustice, IMO.

TS

I don't think anyone is ready to defend themselves until they know what it feels like to get punched in the solar plexis, kneed in the ribs, and kicked in the head.

TS

Hell I've had that and worse done before and I didn't have to pay for a class to get it, just talking when I shoulda been listening.:D

We spent a lot of time exercising and doing "katas" before we moved on to more advanced stuff.

Judo took forever to get to the good stuff, karate was a 'lil quicker, and ju jitsu was the best.

I got a buddy who is double jointed in most of his joints (fingers bend backwards, arms bend backwards, you get the picture), needless to say he's big into ju-jitsu and said it's been a huge advantage for him. That freak of nature can lay his arm behind the back of his head and touch his elbow to his other shoulder and then lay the other arm over top of it doing the same thing.

Tom_Scheller;203868 . I don't think anyone is ready to defend themselves until they know what it feels like to get punched in the solar plexis said:
So if I were to kick you 500 times in the head, you'd get really good at defending yourself?
You have to teach beginners some tecniques to work with, before letting them spar with each other. Also you have to slowly work on their attitude towards getting hurt: If you just let them bash each other bloody on day one, they just get discouraged and quit.All that really accomplices is missing out on a lot of potential martial artists, before they even really get an idea of what the art is all about.
I think more people quit martial arts because of bad, macho teachers, than for any other reason.

I agree with Stig. Lots of people have aggression and rage ready to unleash...some can do it instinctively very well, others not so well. Getting pounded down makes for a high attrition rate.

Folks need basics to learn to deal with any situation, especially one they aren't used to...many folks that want to study self-defense or martial arts are doing so because they are not familiar with what to expect from others concerning violence and do not have a good idea of how to respond.

Discovering your ineptitude can be realized with a padded stick in the hands of the instructor. Getting beat up by someone trained or untrained in a class where you hope to learn useful skills can lead to dropping out...arguably a good survival choice for some folks.

Macho instructors can be a problem.

So if I were to kick you 500 times in the head, you'd get really good at defending yourself?
Don't be silly.

Martial arts as an exercise is one thing, but if your goal is self defense then you won't get there without mixing it up. I'm not talking about teachers beating on students to stroke their own egos.

Sparing on the first day might be a little quick, but in general learning Muay Thai goes much faster than the arts that require complex muscle movements.

TS

I'm not totally sure that I'm the one being silly here.
If you reread your first post, surely you'll recognize that you are just spouting the sort of BS that is supposed to make the rest of us realize how tough you are.
Don't take the fact,that I happen to believe in some sort of pedagogical approach to teaching martial arts, instead of just beating the student up and letting the strongest survive, to mean that I only do. Quote: " Martial arts as an exercise".
Of my 34 years in karate, the 15 was spent doing full-contact fighting.
For the last 14 years I have been teaching self defense to cops in the Danish Police officers Association Karate Club.
So I think I have a fair understanding of what does or doesn't work in a fight.

you know guys, there is only one way to settle this arguement............:lol:

Now, wouldn't that be fun.
Unfortunately we are on two different continents, that's a little far to throw a punch!

Most of the stuff taught in the various dojos for self defense will not work in the streets. In the street, more likely than not, you will be facing multiple opponents with weapons. A knife automatically makes the wielder like a 5th degree black belt against an unarmed person.

Carl has the right idea, carry a gun. If you can't carry a gun, carry a good fixed blade and learn how to use it properly. Even Paul Vunak said there is no way to really defend against a knife if you are unarmed.

...Carl has the right idea...

8)

I took some martial arts growing up (under 8 I believe). My class of cadets was the first and I beleive only group to get taught combatives in ROTC at State. It was a good program I thought, although several of the techniques taught required the opponet to be wearing sturdy clothing. A jacket or coat would suffice, but a T shirt would get ripped off in a hurry. We trained in BDU's against people in BDU's, the only real flaw I saw with the instruction.

I was once volunteered to come to the center of the circle of cadets with the instructor. I didn't know what we were doing, next thing I knew he threw a leg lock on me and down I went. Everyone though that was hillarious, including myself.:lol:

One prior service cadidiot thought scratching people was acceptable when he was in a hold, we found that most annoying. Tank and I expressed our discontent in the free-for-all (all 12 or so cadets on a 20x20 mat).

Rich is a pretty sizeable fellow and a good opponet in jujutsu.

n30826475_34315440_5960.jpg

n586980556_1985617_2981.jpg

I took this pic last year at a event

Attachments

• xtremefightn 026.jpg
    xtremefightn 026.jpg
    806.6 KB · Views: 7
Most of the stuff taught in the various dojos for self defense will not work in the streets. In the street, more likely than not, you will be facing multiple opponents with weapons. QUOTE]

The speed and accuracy you learn in martial arts definately help in the streets, as well as remaining calm when your adreneline is pumping. I was in the middle of a good one after the superbowl on sunday. No weapons, just drunk college kids. Man, do they fall easy........;)

I've studied three different martial arts, and actually got close to a black belt in one discipline: I've got to say the most important thing I've learned was how to not fight in nearly all of my encounters.

Back