The Boxing Thread

You can train all you want, when you actually show up in a fight it's like nothing before. It's one on one with no teamates or timeouts. I still remember my first three round fight, it was unreal. I had done so much sparring and roadwork, I tought I was in great shape...pfffffffffff, when that guy showed up to rip my head off, it was way beyond physical fatigue, it was survival! Two minute rounds too, I can't imagine 15 X 3 minutes without headgear, it must be intense!

No I don't think it was nerves. I think it's just impossible to push yourself that hard without being in a true fight.

I don't want this to sound disrespectul or corny, but I can imagine going to war is kind of the same. You can train all you want, but it's nothing like the actual thing, and once your in there, you better learn quick.

After my fourth fight, three rounds got easier, I knew what to expect. My training changed (much more intervalls) and my diet too.

I had two years of pretty serious training. Second year did seven amateur fights, finished third at the bronze gloves. Then I got into tree work and boxing took a back seat... :) Still love the sport, even if im 30 lbs overweight!

Great sport, and people showing talent and or heart is a beautiful thing, but I hate to see a guy have his face turned into hamburger on top of old battle scars. Especially the lower rankings where they aren't getting much dough for the effort. Not sure though, some of the Mexican fighters look like they might sort of like it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i'm paraphrasing my guru sri tat wale baba mike tyson here

"everybody's got a plan till they get punched in the face"

here's my impression of boxing v mma.

since they're allowed to use kicking you won't see as much action.
i see a lot of dancing around with their legs in the air.
like in 'a chorus line'.

in boxing, limiting the fighters to fists actually increases the action.

Boxing is much more unidimensional, it remains the sweet science. To me that is why youngers generations find it boring, it's more subtle and harder to grasp.

Because ground fighting is unsubtle and easy to grasp?

Dude, have you ever fought on the ground?
It is much more like playing a physical game of chess than boxing is, things go slower and you have to think and plan ahead.

I love the grappling in MMA. You have got to view it like a chess match, a lot of tactics going one with good grapplers. A pleasure to watch IMO.

I do love a good boxing tear up. My main love though is Muay Thai.

Actually I did train BJJ for over a year, it is also a great sport.

My comment was more towards MMA as a sport. Most young people gravitated towards MMA standup because it's more flashy, with the mix of Muay Thai and all, KO kicks to the head, major blood, gore, less finesse, just straight aggression. Also, I believe, up until recently, fighters weren't as well rounded as they are now. So a lot of guys had no standup defense and would just get the snot beaten out of them.

Alot of people will watch MMA until the guys hit the ground, then change the channel. It's asshamed cause it's amazing to watch guys like Damian Maia or Frank Mir totaly dominate a purple or even lower level black belt.

Did anyone here see Dos Anjos completely destroy Nate Diaz with leg kicks last weekend on Fox?

I was a huge Diaz fan, but they are hard to root for now. Nate missing weight by 4 lbs:\:, constant complaining about most everything, getting utterly dominated by Dos Anjos, shows he doesn't really care, imo. And Nick vs Silva, I don't care too much about that fight even though 3 years ago it would have been awesome. Nick can't really fight anyone unless they want to stand in front of him and brawl. The Diaz ship has sailed imo. They have their place in ufc history, but they aren't relevant anymore.

The Mickey Ward Arturo Gatti fights are epic.

this is what got me back into boxing a few years back

i'm really ready to get into the klitschko brothers.

i think it's exciting/fantastic that one of the longest running heavyweight champions is from easterneurope.

also this.

chess2.jpg

Is chess boxing real or is is supposed to be a goof?

Also, I believe, up until recently, fighters weren't as well rounded as they are now. So a lot of guys had no standup defense and would just get the snot beaten out of them.

I totally agree with you on that.
Way too much cannon fodder and the skilled stand up fighters were ( Are!) few and far between.

The lack of ground fighting is what made K1 so popular IMO.
way easier to enjoy a stand up fight if you don't know anything about fighting.

I've never been into boxing, or any other sort of pugilism. Personally, I don't think I could go one round with a giant bag of packing peanuts.:lol:

Back