Tension Released Felling Cut

Scott, your fuller description makes interesting sense. Having the cuts match up above and below (plunge and back cut), all you then need is a vertical break to get the tree falling, where leaving more holding wood with a conventional cut may entail greater resistance and pull. Nice concept.

Your on about crippling trees. Cutting them up & getting out of there has it's place but a defect tree that needs a cut "breaking" I'm not sure. The extra force placed upon a tree when the dynamic forces release in such a small time frame could create further problems. Better than being in the tree on some occasions though
Tree smith you are on about "folding" your tree, which is just plain fun !! Video please:)

The folding tree is a neat tecnique.
Easy to do and impresses the hell out of onlookers.

In this drawing as the one with the higher back cut gets pushed backwards, in my undrstanding the wood, at the top of the yellow arrows acts as a fulcrum multiplying the upwards pulling forces on the hinge wood. Think if you set a block of wood, or some shims at the front of your face notch. when the log hits that it multiplies the force, the hinge wood pulls out and the tree falls. That step from the higher back cut does the same thing I think.

Looking at the second example, I believe that piece of wood coming off the bottom of the spar thats sits down on the back cut actually holds the tree much better.

That's a very intersting observation.. if indeed true.. wouldn't matter 99+% of the time, but the one time you do need it.. you NEED IT! the reason I always put the step cut below the hinge is not for more control or leverage, it is simply pragmatic in making 1/2 the backcut flush to the ground, while keeping the hinge wood above the trunk flare. That makes for a little less cutting overall, and turns the flush cut on the stump into a half round, which is easier to handle, and often just gets chipped. That makes a lot of sense in a suburban setting, but would have nearly no value in the woods.

It was only after using it to make the disposal of the flush cut easier, that I saw how much holding control it offered, and used that to great advantage in other situations..

Using the step cut gives the faller the ability to set the hinge to his liking, then adjust the placement (forward or rear) and differential height of the snap cut to give as much additional holding power as desired.. Its a lot easier to figure that, than to figure how much more wood to leave on the hinge. Most fallers are pretty particular about their hinges, and there are situations where a fat hinge isn't desireable.. Too fat and you're gonna BBchair the tree, whereas with the step cut the chances of splitting the trunk before step are miniscule.

I rarely stand at the stump these days. most falls do not use the step cut.. just set the hinge , walk away and wave for the pull.. rarely needed, but good to have when needed. On the other hand, I have enough expereince with the step cut to have trusted my life to it on occasion. A couple times the only good DZ for a big top was right where the bucket was parked.. dead oak... some wind... That's saying something...

I'm always asked "you want to pull it with the truck/bobcat/whatever?" 90% of the time I just say no, pull it by hand.
That's probably wise when you are working with a crew you can't completely trust.. I go 90% the other way with serious pulling power. Once you get familiar with that, the added power offers a WHOLE LOT more falling possibilities.. not the least of which is being able to walk away from the stump, in cases where there are overhead hazards..

Scott, your fuller description makes interesting sense. Having the cuts match up above and below (plunge and back cut), all you then need is a vertical break to get the tree falling, where leaving more holding wood with a conventional cut may entail greater resistance and pull. Nice concept.

The folding tree is a neat tecnique.
Easy to do and impresses the hell out of onlookers.

Oh yeah, I like it! Took a while to get my head around your 'folding' technique. :|:
I think I'd still be a little uncomfortable about working under a cut-up top. But, I'm definitely gonna have to try it. :D
Now, I gotta wonder ... could you 'accordion' a tree??? :/:
Wouldn't that be cool? :)

Willie did one. I would like to try it as well...
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pq5S4zbo9Dg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Feel kind of the same way about the top Jack.

Now, I gotta wonder ... could you 'accordion' a tree??? :/:
Wouldn't that be cool? :)

No.
You'd need the folding force to work in opposite directions to do that.
Not possible.

Actually I think it could be done, but it would be very dangerous, and would involve at least two pull lines on one side and one on the other, (3-way fold), and the two on the same side would have to pull at varying speeds to make it work. I can't see the need for it.

Well, I was going to do it in the morning, but my neighbor said it would have to wait a few more days, as he's going out of town. Looks like you win, Willie. I'll try to get some footage when I get to it. No promises.

I wouldn't bother just for the sport of it. Necessity is the mother of invention they say. It's either fold it, climb to the crispy top and piece it out, or just smash other trees around it. I thought I'd try to fold it up. I am hoping it'll make some good video, as well.

Sometimes invention is the mother of necessity.

Anybody seen The Gods must be Crazy? Nobody every needed the Coke bottle until they had it.

i remember once seeing a great video of a guy in oz folding a real big tree to make it fit across a road but cant remember the guys name or find the video :-( will look again later

Back