Stihl 362

I checked out the price of these things locally and have no idea how you folks can afford to buy them .Good grief 800 bucks for a damned 60 cc saw .Add another c note for a 441 and another c note for a 440 and another 50 for a 460 .Good grief .

When I buy a new saw, I deduct it, Al.
If I bought enough, I probably wouldn't have to pay any tax:D

Yeah I know it's just a business expense for you pro guys .It's still a lot of money though write offs or not .

Sure, but running chainsaws is how I make money.
I don't even ask for the price when I buy a new one.
It is a necessary tool for me, so I want the absolute best I can get.

Yes point taken .I suppose though all things considered a decent saw has never been cheap .With me I guess I'd prefer 1960's prices with 2011's wages .Doesn't seem to work that way for some reason .:?

Al, when I started logging back in the late 70es, buying a new saw was a big deal. Something one saved up to do.
When I started out, most people had one saw, the highballers had two.

Today if I need a new one, like we did last month, I don't even think about it, just buy it.

Saw prices have gone WAY down in comparison with wages, at least in my neck of the woods.

Well the first one I bought was 139.95 and I still have it .Might not sound like much but I was making less than 4 bucks an hour back then .

It was a Poulan s-25 trim saw .It's been a dandy and I still have it .The first Mac a PM 610 didn't come along for about 5 years and I still have it .

When I bought the Poulan the Lombard dealer tried to talk me into a larger Lombard but poor as I was I couldn't justify the extra 75-80 bucks .

The story goes on .About 15- 16 years ago I did get that Lombard used at garage sale for 25 bucks non runnng .I had it purring like a kitten about a half hour after I got it home and the rest is history .For some reason all that hokus pokus of two cycles landed on me like a bolt out of the blue which had eluded me all of my life up until that point .Sonny beech I had the "gift " and I didn't even know it .:O:lol:

You guys might laugh at me but I buy a lot of used saws. I keep my eyes peeled for clean low mileage pro saws. Sometimes I pick one up when I have no use at all for it, but eventually, a saw in my fleet gets killed, and its replacement is sitting in the garage waiting to go. My wife couldnt understand earlier on in business why i would rush out and snatch up saws that i had no use for. But, each time a saw got killed on a job I would tell her at dinner that night that we didnt need to spend $800 tomorrow on a replacement because I spent $250 a year ago when i saw a rockin deal. She caught on eventually.

Makes sense to me. Many saws I see being sold as used at the auction in these parts are in excellent condition. Here is a Shindaiwa that is currently up that will likely go for two bills or under.

Attachments

• oayk07-img600x450-13200574205epoe459502.jpg
    oayk07-img600x450-13200574205epoe459502.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 27
Back