Steel Toe VS Composite Toe

One case, in a Navy yard, a contract worker had his foot pinned under the out rigger of an 80 ton crane. His buddy ran around to tell the operater. The fellow was under the pad for about a minute and only a slight bruise was the result.

That was one of the happier case scenarios I found. After reading that I got to thinking more about it, an 80 ton crane. Gee my foot was under the pad of only a 15 ton. I could of stood there and whistled Dixie and pick my nose if I wanted. Steel toe must work.

I don't think so, Squish. No way would I wear steel toes in the bush (we call it the brush down here :) ). Heavy, cold...not me, thanks.

BTW, can you even get steel toe corks?

I'm not sure about steel toe corks, I beleive that in B.C. you can only get composite safety toe boots, I'm not 100% sure but I think that's all that's WCB aproved here.

Yah this is interesting info, I too have always labored under the mis-impression that steel toes would/could be worse in a severe crushing injury. But I've always wondered about that too. I hate to admit it but I rarely used safety-toes while in the bush, just for the weight. I like my all leather Vib's with no safety toe. I know bad, bad, bad.:(

I was referring to not wearing safety toes of any sort in the bush composite or steel. None of my full-leathers had safety toes, but a few pairs of my half and halfs did I think?

Oh yah and you call it 'the brush' working in the woods? Weird, it's the bush man, the bush spread the word.

hm, those fancy orange boots are composite toe cap, weird since they are supposed to be for chainsaw protection, I had to call my dealer and ask him and he figures more guys are concerned about not having steel toes in the gumboots for warmth. I always wear my work boots that are steel toed, have done since I began working, never found cold toes from the steel toe to be an issue.

hm, those fancy orange boots are composite toe cap, weird since they are supposed to be for chainsaw protection, I had to call my dealer and ask him and he figures more guys are concerned about not having steel toes in the gumboots for warmth. I always wear my work boots that are steel toed, have done since I began working, never found cold toes from the steel toe to be an issue.

Don't they have fabric layers like chaps, Paul? In the foot and leg?

to each their own! :)

edit:
Burn, yes, over the top of the foot there is a patch that has either ballistic nylon or kevlar stuff in to attempt to jam the saw before it gets to the tootsies. You can see it in the picture previously in this thread. Another note, when wearing fallers pants just TRY to get them in those boots, and wearing them on the outside, well, thast just not done. :shifty:

my PPE mentor:
clothes_tools_200x240.jpg

make him in charge of clearing the trail :D and butchering. at least the big cuts, maybe not the filets...

My feet used to freeze in those "gay" boots. Never felt comfortable in them. I gave them to one of my groundmen, he mentioned something about adding sparkles to them and dancing in them.

I HATE steel toe boots!!!!!!! I just flat LOATHE MY WORK BOOTS!!!! You want heavy? Yeah, come to my world:lol:

Yes, steel toes get cold!!!

Myth busters or not, I have personly worked with not one, but TWO guys that have had steel toe boots crush/amputate their toes!! Might have been an older ANSI standard, but it's not a wives tale, I promise!!!!

Man!!!! I wasn't even working there when it happened, both were older guys. I can't remeber the one guys name, but can't forget the others name!!!
If you really want, I will look up his phone number and PM it to you! I am that for real about this one!

I used to hate steel toed boots.....until I started buying boots that fit properly. Now they don't bother me, don't wear my socks out and don't seem cold.

I HATE steel toe boots!!!!!!! I just flat LOATHE MY WORK BOOTS!!!! You want heavy? Yeah, come to my world:lol:

Yes, steel toes get cold!!!

Myth busters or not, I have personly worked with not one, but TWO guys that have had steel toe boots crush/amputate their toes!! Might have been an older ANSI standard, but it's not a wives tale, I promise!!!!

You don't have to convince me, I know what your prefered choice in the shoe department is....:P
But I can say first hand steel toe boots would have saved you some greif. In fact any boot would have helped....:P

I've always hated wearing steel toes for the cold too... :(

So none of my work boots... caulks or not... do not have steel toes.

Now on the flip side... When I was working on the flight deck on a US Navy aircraft carrier... the temperature of the steel deck was anywhere between 120-140 degrees. There were reports of guys getting heat blisters around their toes from the steel in their boots. Never happened to me... but I can tell ya, if you stand in one spot for about 30 seconds on a 130 degree steel deck... your feet get HOT!

Gary

are the instances of toes being crushed with steel toes from the metal plates used to cover holes in the street?

That is how I heard of it. Seems kind of hard to imagine a steel toe being crushed in tree work unless it is a out rigger or something

It seems that any force that can crush a steel toe would leave your toes mangled and inoperable anyway, right?

I dislike having to choose one or the other. I hate Frankenstein boots in a tree unless I'm on spikes, but I don't like wearing flimsy hiking boots on the ground.

TS

Back