Sterling HTP 13mm
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=142&item=1826
MBS: 9084 lbs (40kN)
Certified: NFPA 1983, 2006 Life Safety Rope - General use
Elongation at 10% MBS: 2.60%
Elongation at 300 lbs: 1.6%
Safe Working Load: 908 lbs
Weight per 100': 7.5 lbs.

My intended application will be access ascent, footlocking, SRT climbing, recreational rappelling, swings and ziplines. I would just get the 13mm 1/2" stuff but I am worried about it not running through a petzl RIG, which is only rated to 11.5mm.

Does anyone have input on using static ropes? Brands, experiences, likes/dislikes??

Does anyone have a 13mm HTP and a RIG? Test it for me?

After just using a Velocity for acces rope for years ( even on the super high acces climbs in Sequoias/Redwoods, I finally got my ass in gear and bought a Snakebite for the ash tree grafting stock project, where we had to climb over 100 big trees.
I really wish I'd gone that way before, it makes SRT'ing up the tree SOOOO much easier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The 10mm Snakebite? Thats Sherrill Tree's "label" on HTP I believe.

Here is whats interesting, same diameter, breaking strength, and weave (different colors) but different 'elongation'

Treestuff

MBS: 5981 lbs
Certified: NFPA 1983, 2006 Life Safety Rope - Light use, CE0120
Elongation at 10% MBS: 1.70%
Elongation at 300 lbs: 1.00%

Safe Working Load: 597 lbs
Weight per 100': 5.3 lbs

Sherrill

Sterling Rope HTP Snakebite Green Static Low Stretch Climbing Rope 3/8" Specs
Length : 200' or 600'
Diameter : 3/8" (10mm)
Weight : 5.3 lbs per 100 ft (2.4 kg per 30 m)
Material : Polyester
Color : Neon Green, Black, & Tan
Melting Point : Polyester melts @ 480° F
Elongation : .63% @ 540 lbs (244 kg)
Strand Count : 48 strand, Static Kernmantle
WLL : 598 lbs (271 kg)
Tensile Strength : 5,981 lbs (2,712 kg)

Read more: http://www.sherrilltree.com/Profess...nakebite-Green-Static-Line-10mm#ixzz2UVSqcGeg
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=142&item=759
http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Static-Kernmantle/HTP-Snakebite-Green-Static-Line-10mm

That is interesting.

I didn't get the green one, since we plan on sneaking up into some redwoods next year, I got the camo one:lol:

I had 600 feet of the 10mm HTP when I was working. Stig is absolutely right, it is the ultimate SRT access line...that 600 feet weighed less than 35 lbs.!

I bought it in red, not ninja climbing and it helps to be able to see the tie in point from 175 feet away :).

Check out Yale's static line, the Kernmaster. I haven't bought a hank yet, as I have too many ropes as is, but I heard its the bees knees for SRT work positioning and overall feel. HTP might be a bit better for ascents, but from what I've heard from numerous sources, Kernmaster is the favorite.

None of the lines Nick listed for consideration are suitable for hybrid SRT systems...work positioning. If that's what he's after, it isn't clear to me from his OP.

My intended application will be access ascent, footlocking, SRT climbing, recreational rappelling, swings and ziplines. I would just get the 13mm 1/2" stuff but I am worried about it not running through a petzl RIG, which is only rated to 11.5mm.

I know Derrick Martin uses the PMI for work positioning as well as having heard of people using the HTP with Rope Wrench for everyday climbing.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bPnYKqK_b5c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is your concern the lack of stretch in a fall? My thoughts are that at about half the dynamic elongation at the same load as some climbing lines, the elongation on the single leg during a fall would be equal to that of the 2 legs of rope catching you in the same fall.

Just because people are using such and such piece of gear for some purpose it was not designed for, doesn't make it appropriate :).

Stretch is not a straight line equation like that, it compounds under increasing load if I recall correctly...I have no idea whether two legs stretch half as much as one, but I rather doubt it's that simple Nick.

But that aside, it's not really stretch that would concern me, though it certainly is worth consideration. For me, it is more that static lines are generally less supple than semi and full dynamic lines, and the covers and weaves tend to be less malleable. To me that translates into a rope that is less than satisfactory in interfacing with friction hitches. Less secure in providing a good gripping surface for the hitch to work with. No proof, just my observations and thoughts.

Mostly, I get uncomfortable with the idea of putting a piece of gear into an application outside it's design parameters, just on general principle. I may be over-cautious.

Nick, FWIW - I've got some HTP 11mm ... it doesn't like knots enough for me ... can only imagine 13mm HTP would be much worse.

None of the lines Nick listed for consideration are suitable for hybrid SRT systems...work positioning. ...

I'm with Burnham on this, Nick. There is a risk versus reward on static rope. For pure ascent it can't be beat but I'm not sure it is a good idea as an all-around work rope. I have taken lots of big falls ( for tree work ) on arborist lines and each time it was a non event as far as shock loading goes. I have not experienced the same falls on static because I don't use it, but the test reports I have read, make me believe it would be very easy to see far greater load potentials in the same situations by using static compared to our semi-static arborist lines.

Do your research on tool/rope compatibility and ratings. This has become a really hot topic and focal point for a certain group that is openly criticizing our use of tools brought over from other industries. This group would just love to cite examples of noncompliance.

Dave

As far as using static lines for climbing, I've done it about 20-25% of the time I use a rope wrench and I haven't had any hitch interaction trouble. But just about every time I did, I was using a basal anchor system. This system introduces twice the length of rope into the system compared too anchoring high up at your TIP.

What it also does is, normally with a basal anchor, your line is going through or on multiple limbs and crotches, meaning the load is spread across numerous points. This introduces some elastic element into the equitation from the tree itself. I've talked too some people who have taken falls on static and non static rope, with both a basal anchor system and a doubled rope, and they said with the basal anchor it's nothing like taking a fall on doubled rope. With some much rope in the system, plus the shock absorber effect from the tree, they said its not bad at all.

I'll have too look around for the charts and studies, but there's a debate about how much the elongation matters on static vs non static. A lot of it occurs at such a high load, there are debates about whether it really matters, because at that point you're going to cause severe damage too your body or break out your TIP. I'm not on one side or the other, just find it all interesting and the science behind it all.

I climb on orange hi-vee because Im a loser.:big-wave:

I have been rolling on some 11mm with a steel snap. Why you ask? Because I can wing that sumbeech about a mile up ahead of me in the tree.

I hear that Stig, its just a phase Im in. Ill be right back to aluminum carabiners by the end of this week. That steel snap on some light climbing line lets me really blast that thing up through the tree into another crotch but twice its come at my face and once gave me a fat lip. I just started this combo recently, but I don't see it lasting.

Do you have any teeth left?:lol:

Good one!

I have KM111 and HTP and like both. The KM seems to hold its round shape better, and knots better, but I think the HTP has a slight edge in climbing straight up.

My suggestion would be to buy it based on the color you like!

I might have tried climbing SRT on some 11mm HTP... It might have been awesome.

You hear about how a new rope makes such a difference and you know it really doesnt. The feeling of ascent on the static line was unreal. Normally when you step on a foot ascender you feel a little bounce in your step. The HTP is like a steel cable and as a result when you step down its like jumping off a plyo box!

I bought the line for rec related stuff but couldnt resist taking it on a little work climb.

You ought to have tried the 10mm...600 feet of it weighs less than 35 pounds...just sayin', from the ninja perspective.
:D

Back