Starting a thread, then what?

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
A person who starts a thread, is there an assumed responsibility to maintain that thread in terms of moving it along by responding to posts? Obviously, some threads just take off on their own accord due to their merit, but I see some thread starters responding to only some people as a rule. I won't say it's favoritism, but.....and for sure some people carry more weight than others on a topic, that's the nature of things.

I see where subject matter of a post helps to warrant a reply or not, and I don't think there is any fixed rule on it, but I've been wondering about this.

When I start a thread, I feel like I need to try and stick with it pretty much, until it winds down on it's own accord, s'pose it's like monitoring it in a loose fashion.

Maybe I think about it too much, and it's all good? What say ye MB and others?

You pretty much have to stay on it night and day. Respond to every post. Either that, or everyone will hate you.

Good to hear from you, Mike. And you're absolutely right. Vigilance is the key, never sleep.

I agree with Mike (about time you showed back up, buddy).

And Jay, I noticed that you never reply to my posts. Why do you hate me? :what:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh, I'm on it by answering within thirty seconds and being friendly. Thanks for the input
mates :)

I start a thread to show pictures and movie clips. Which usually wind down pretty quick.

Others start a thread by asking a question of the members, and depending on the question and who asks it can go dead in a single post or go on for quite some time. Usually though ending in a derail after it's been exhausted.

Interestingly, posts of certain facts or otherwise can be literal thread killers and put an end to a thread amazingly fast.

Naw, it just shows that some logical thinking on a matter can slow things down.

My thread did make it to two pages, there is some satisfaction in that.

The worst thing is having the last post on a thread. Somebody better save me on this thread and post again, or I'll be upset.

"The worst thing is having the last post on a thread. Somebody better save me on this thread and post again, or I'll be upset."

A potential thread killer right there.

Nah this thread is destined to be a classic of forum etiquette. :D

I see many pages in it's future.

I see now, threads with pictures of scantily clad women, maybe even the wife, are the ones where everybody hopes the starter will keep postin. That makes sense.

I've seen "Useless without pics" garner a few more hits.

P1010104.jpg

I beat everybody on here hands down for killing threads. They call me "Thread Killer" when I ain't makin Tater salad...

Back