SRT Kit Demo TreeHouse TreeStuff Circulator

Sorry. No pics. I'm usually the one taking pics at our company. Most of my family doesn't believe that I climb until the once a year my partner gives me pics he took. Usually about 5 pics. And as for selfies.... Nobody would want to see my ugly mug anyway.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

That's a rope wrench. Duh.

SouthSoundTree Sent it to me a while back. It was my first experience with SRT. I thought it was too good for me to keep so I thought I would pass it along and see if anyone else wants to give the old school way a try.

I'm not sure. He told me but I do t remember anymore. I think it's cool and I figured someone else would get a kick out of it.

And sorry about the Duh comment.... I meant to put a smiley face after that. :)

You don't have to be sorry, I've got thick skin, smart ass. Heehehehe kid din'

Okay, great, I need to show a couple climbing people around here these gadgets and I'm done… who gets it next!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

After the box wrench original attempt, Kevin made wooden ones. A hammer handle is cheap and solid, and easy to come by.

I was just discussing it with my groundie today, actually, as he is SRTing off some youtube video with a 6 coil prussic and foot loop above a figure 8. Primitive, but works. I told him to come over one day were both free and its dry and well make him one in the shop and climb some trees.

Ahhh, the hammer handle. Yep, folks, its as simple as a piece of wood with a diagonal hole in one end, and 30 cents of accessory cord on the other end, and being non-life support, a miser could try it with an old boot lace.

If someone wants to tape a stick to that cord as a stiff tether, I suspect that it will be a big help. I made that before the stiffy revolution. My zk1 just has a stick off a jobsite, and athletic tape.

Mid line attachability is nice, but often not necessary, unless you want to exit via DdRT.

quoting Cory: "Crazy question: If you had a Wraptor, would there be any reason to bother with a Haas system? Maybe for shorter ascents? Lighter to pack around?"

Having a Wraptor makes me more reluctant to purchase a HAAS system. I do just fine with a frog walker when needed. Forgot to put the Wraptor back in the truck and did just fine with 3 ascents of 75 feet in a black oak. Well one was up a pine to get into a part of the black oak :lol:
My asthma is acting up, so I missed the Wraptor today... Just took it a step at a time and got the job done.

My rope walker (variant on Porkbrick's) is like the HAAS, just more compact and cheaper, and maybe, guessing here with a bit of pulling numbers out of my ear, 85% as efficient, maybe way more, can't feel like its way less. I've never held a HAAS. If you don't have an ascender for the floater, 50-60 bucks on ebay.

I have demo'd a Wraptor for residential, and got SPs to buy one. I would definitely still want a rope walker for climber longevity. Start adding up 20' here of pulling on the rope with your hands, especially 1:1, and 30' there, plus when things are easier, you tend to do them the better way or more predictable way, giving you a safety margin.

Stephan, do you wish you were hands free of the ascender in your trees much? That double ascender seems like it would be bulky.

I haven't touched a handle ascender in a while, all rope walker.

Cool. That's what I thought.

Where did Sean get it from?

My barn. cut the head off of a $5 hammer, just as it was very convenient. Hickory. Good wear. put your hole through at an angle, rasp or round file the edges, put some smaller junk rope in there, and work it back and forth to smooth. 10 minutes of work if you have all the tools at hand.

I put a second hole, thinking I might shorten it (a good idea if the inner hole works, and anybody that wants to cut it down, do it). Then, the production zk1 came out.

I started climbing SRT/ DdRT on a grigri before I knew anything about typical tree climbing methods, I learned ring and rings FSs on hitch or GriGri for DdRT, and choked the stem for removals, SRT, largely. Then F8 Revolver surfaced, but it wasn't set to go down at a moments' notice, then the wooden rope wrench, then zki, then HH. Looking forward to the rope runner!

Stephan, do you wish you were hands free of the ascender in your trees much? That double ascender seems like it would be bulky.

I haven't touched a handle ascender in a while, all rope walker.

No And No... If I am hands free.. I am stationary working.... I do not fair well with my hands grabbing rope all day... But then I am also 53 with some arthritis. Ascending is hard on my hands if I am just grabbing rope and the larger double handles help. Can really use it to pull myself up too... Now mind you, I almost never use mechanical advantage on SRT when limb walking or even going up about 10 feet. The handled ascender is mostly used for the longer part of my ascent into lower limbs and if I need aid pulling myself up. Just like when we stand on our pantin for an extra leg up. A chest roller would change this perhaps.. or a croll set up. I can move twigs right now one handed while advancing the ascender for the moment and not be totally inefficient. The Wraptor comes more into play when I need it. If I am fatigued to a degree from my lack of air, injury or need to just speed up an ascent or multiple ascents. This old man tried to stay in some shape... Even if more round is a shape :lol:

Just wondered, Stephen, if you would use the RW for those short 10' ascents that add up, using more leg power, and only using your arms/ hands to hold yourself in to the rope, to the extent possible. I try not to grip the rope, just get my hands sorta cupped around it.

Back