kit bags?

WoodCutr

Treehouser
what gear/kit bags are you guys running?

im looking at the 70L arbortec mamba

need to hold: 200ft of 11.5mm climb line, saddle, spurs, and a lanyard, along with all my extras on my saddle (hand ascender, F8 ETC)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
oh, and one more thing, how well does that arbortec bag stay open while feeding rope into it? the bag I have is a very light nylon, even with it rolled down its still a pain to put rope in

I use something like this...

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Canvas-Parachute-Cargo-Olive/dp/B000HKMXTO/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=rothco+canvas+bag&qid=1630429376&sr=8-2

Mine's actually from wesspur, and black. I linked amazon cause it's a little cheaper, and comes in the superior OD color :^P Made in India, and it seems to be put together well. If you fill it up, it's a bit of a workout to move it.

my dad has one for his dive gear

I just put all my gear in a backpack works good but no place to put a saddle

Flight bags that the Air Force uses. A black one for climbing gear and an OD green one for rigging gear and ropes.

The black one is older and I’ve been beating the sh!t out of it for 16 years now.

Had a few bags and never liked them , have gone to hard cases ...
I preffer hard cases normally

just much easier to use bags IMO since I dont have a truck to haul stuff with at the moment, can just throw a bag in the car and go​

I use RTIC hard cases for my rigging stuff. One for 1/2-5/8" blocks and slings, one for 3/4" blocks and slings , one for speedline slings I now have 60 of them (yes I may need help), one for the fiddle block and some other random low use rigging. Climbing I like the old school canvas Dr.s bags. Ropes are all in other bags or coiled. 3 strand don't need no stinking rope bag.
The cases stack nice, neat, and tight but aren't too heavy by themselves.
And can be bought during their winter sale.

seems like a good system to me, how much does each case cost?

ive thought about pelican cases, thats what my dad carries his dive gear in, work good but very heavy, and expensive

id get a teufelberger (spelling?) rope bucket, and quite possibly will in the future, but for now I think thats a tad much to spend on something that literally just holds rope and carabiners

I put my stuff in a $40 "tactical" backpack earlier, just to see if it would work, rope loads easy enough, will hold 200ft, and all my crabs on the molle webbing, just wont hold ye old saddle

If you don't care about appearance, and using "proper" gear, nice suitcases show up at thrift shops, and can be had cheap. A hardsided Samsonite from the 60s-70s would make a good gear case.

seems like a good system to me, how much does each case cost?

ive thought about pelican cases, thats what my dad carries his dive gear in, work good but very heavy, and expensive
I can't rember the cost but they were 50% off during the sale. And the DeWalt around 40 bucks.
They are lighter build than Pelican cases but i have had them in service for three years when that pic was taken today with no issues.

I use totes that you can get from the hardware store. 3 on each side in the backseat area, the 2x10 is to level out the floor because it's some fold up floor gun safe thing that's built in the truck. Big shot fits in there too, and an ax. I can fit those in the arbor trolley and go right to the work area. Even as i use it less than i did since I'm chipping bigger pieces more (the arbor trolley), it's still one of the handiest things you can have on a job. I can't wait to build my custom bed for the truck, then all this will be in toolboxes built into the chip body skid. 2 of the 6 totes are for my steamfitter work so you can get an idea how much crap i have with me lol. The only commonly used item that isn't in those totes is my capstan winch rigging device and chainsaws, cause it's freaking heavy as hell being made of mostly 3/8 plate and the saws get oil everywhere so they stay in the back. Thinking of adding a toolbox on the chipper soon, so that way saws and big stuff can stay in there. Anyone got a cool way to store saws on a truck? With a truckbed full of chips it's sometimes hard to find a good spot to stuff them. I've had them in a garbage can on the chipper tray boxed in by the log arch and arbor trolley more than i would care to admit :lol:

16304439391542935915985958388374.jpg

I'd probably make a sawbox out of wood; maybe line it with carpet to keep abrasion down. Depends on exactly what the truck looks like, and what you have for room.

Yeah the ford quad cab is brilliantly designed. Each side has a handle and boom they just fold up. It's got a very nice backseat, more room than the wife's jeep and is built for full grown men to sit in comfortably. On the road i lived out of totes just like that. They just had cooking gear, dry goods, and delicate tools that shouldn't go in the toolbox in back in them instead. If a group of guys were going to ride with me to dinner or something, you just grabbed the totes and tossed them in the back and we were good to go. Very handy to have one that goes in the hotel room with you, i mainly just used a duffel bag but if you are bringing in a bunch of stuff you can bring the totes right up to the room. Some guys customize their backseats as much as the rest of the truck, it gets nuts. I've seen guys with built in cabinets and stuff back there!

seeing lots of good ideas here, a huge reason to go with a bag for me is carrying, most of my climbing is rec climbs, in the back of my property, so im hiking a little, on some fairly steep hills, and a tote wont work super well

I've used the wesspur Israeli tactical duffel for 10 years. carry my 120' rope in a separate bag, but it fits my 80&40' ropes plus saddle, harness, spurs, 2 handsaws 2 throw cubes and various bits and bobs.

It's tired now but owes me nothing. Going to try an arbpro python next. I'd highly recommend storing your primary line in its own bag, much nicer to not have to go digging.

It's got backpack straps too. I've hiked it maybe a half mile before, not fun but better than several trips

I'm 90% sure that's a collapsible dolly.?

Yeah, for taking my lunchbox and tool bag into work. It's a 10 min walk one way, and I'm getting lazier as i age lol. That's the Milwaukee one, works great for light stuff like that. I carry too much stuff when i work for local contractors, i have a big klien toolbag i carry my stuff in, and it weighs probably 40 pounds lol.

all ropes in rope bags from upcycling up to 25€ bags,
srt rope in petzl 40l bag 30€ 2nd hand, never used,
rest of climb kit in suitcase from upcycling,
rigging slings & hardware also suitcase also upcycling,
saws small ones in saw bags 10€ a piece,
fuels in cool box from upcycling

all ropes in rope bags from upcycling up to 25€ bags,
srt rope in petzl 40l bag 30€ 2nd hand, never used,
rest of climb kit in suitcase from upcycling,
rigging slings & hardware also suitcase also upcycling,
saws small ones in saw bags 10€ a piece,