Srt anchor/tip loads

http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=375466&an=0&page=0#375466

Here is a link to the tree buzz thread discussing some preliminary testing that Petzl did. I pretty much always opt for a base tie when practical and I feel comfortable going higher with my crotch and redirects than I did with a ddrt Isolated TIP. That's one of the main reasons I fly SRT almost exclusively. Better suspension point, safer climbing.
:thumbup:
I feel the same way, Kevin. It is just amazing how many more options there are with a base tie.

David
:thumbup:

It has nothing to do with forces involved but I usually shy away from base ties because I am scared to have that second leg of the climbing line in the tree. I have already forgotten about it while cutting. I have never been close to cutting it, but who knows when that might change. When I do use base tie, I have to work really hard at focusing on where that other leg is.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Cutting your rope is a very real danger and should not be taken lightly. The benefits outweigh the risk though. Better rope angles lessens my exposure to swings, and also reduces fatigue. Coming from a rock climbing background you soon realize the difference between falls with a lot of rope in the system and falls with little. I don't like the super static ropes. But ddrt essentially is like climbing on super static rope without much rope in the system. Serious shock loading can occur if you make it a practice to climb with slack in your system. Very common in ddrt as well as its such a pain to tend the miles of rope you have to handle.

I often will base tie to another tree so my line is not next to the trunk of the tree. One option. It also creates angles which also lesson the force at the suspension points. I rarely find myself suspended from an isolated limb with a base tie either. There usually is a better option.

It has nothing to do with forces involved but I usually shy away from base ties because I am scared to have that second leg of the climbing line in the tree. I have already forgotten about it while cutting. I have never been close to cutting it, but who knows when that might change. When I do use base tie, I have to work really hard at focusing on where that other leg is.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

That down line on the other side of the tree during SRT and base tie is a sobering thought when it comes to the process of limbing a tree on the way up to drop a top.

Tie in twice for sure (use that lanyard).

Don't cut blindly.

On DdRT, I count two strands before cutting, if there is no rigging line.
On SRT, I count two strands before cutting, if there is no rigging line.

As Kevin said, for the reasons said, tie it off to another tree, as applicable. It can keep your limbs from getting caught between the down strand and the trunk, as well. This risk is similar to watching to be sure you don't lower a limb into a crotch.

That down line on the other side of the tree during SRT and base tie is a sobering thought when it comes to the process of limbing a tree on the way up to drop a top.

Tie in twice for sure (use that lanyard).

Or a double climb line. I can get out on tips where a lanyard wouldn't do any good if I cut my climb line. The lanyard would just snap off the limb which would be typically perpendicularly loaded. End weight reduction on conifers are this way. If a person were particularly concerned about wanting a second line for a bit of work, they could use a natural crotched, ground-belayed line, too.

That down leg of the base tie SRT is probably the only thing that still gives me the jeebies sometimes.
On a fat tree its fine...as I said somewhere else I've become quite pedantic about my second tie-in.

I have a 2 limb rule on pines, furs, anything with flat branches, (3 or more would be even better)...unless there really big

Make sure and tie off as close to trunk as possible with strap if you going to limb walk or kick off trunk to get into near by tree....your TIP could slip over branches and down you go

Back