Spur pad recommendation needed

Benjo75

Treehouser
Hey all. I climbed most of my early life on Klein spurs with L pads. Possibly the most uncomfortable pad known to man. About ten years ago I swapped to Bashlins with the Super Climber pads. Made a world of difference. Bought some Geckos about 5 years ago and they hurt my bony shins enough I've only worn then about ten minutes. I've been on SRT for several years and haven't worn spurs enough to speak of since then. Going to need them soon though. My Bashlins with Super Climber pads are starting to twist around to the back no matter how tight I get them. Anyone recommend any pads for the Bashlins that would stay put and be as comfortable as pads can be? Or should I just put extra padding on the Geckos and try them again. As expensive as the Geckos were I shouldn't have to modify them but that may be the way to go. Thanks.

Try wearing the Geckos about an inch or two lower than you think they should be. Also, even though Gecko pads are flexible and form to your legs, if they are not laying flat against your shins, they can be pivoted by just moving one screw per side.

Last edited:
I have Buckingham shin cup pads, about 1/3 down the page...

They're the only pads I've used and I'm not a pro, so take it for what it's worth, but I couldn't imagine anything being more comfortable.

Yeah, those angled shin cup pads are what I used before getting DMM Geckos. They are good pads.

Whatever you do decide on, I strongly recommend a rigid pad, so cast aluminum caddies or a leather and cushion pad with a steel or aluminum insert.
I have caddies on my Bashlins and Velcro wrap pads with angled steel insert on my titanium pole gaffs. I like them both. I bought those shin cup pads but they ain’t fitting on anything I own, I ordered the wrong ones. Gonna have my metal fab friend modify them a bit, they almost fit.
All the other pads I got can swap out between bashlin aluminum, Buckingham Titanium and Buckingham steel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Been thinking about the caddies. I'll give them a try. I'll also give the Geckos another look. Thanks.

I like the Velcro wraps with the insert. Lighter than the big bucks and I'd say just as comfortable.

I loved the velcro wraps until I discovered the Caddies.

I loved the Caddies until I discovered the angled steel chin cups.

I gave or sold my Caddies to Burnham, IIRC.

Velcro wraps are difficult to get tight and become corrupt with sawdust. Caddies are HUGE and BULKY!!! Shin cup pads are just right!

Reactions: DMc
The Buckingham Velcro lower straps are just awesome. Very comfortable, perfect fit right away every time.
I see they got Velcro lower straps with a cobra buckle now, pretty pricy and it can’t be better or faster... no thanks.

3rd you say?
There’s the nylon ones, or rubber impregnated nylon, and there’s leather.
Is there others?
While helping the county parks after a bad storm, I met a climber that used nylon dog collars. The collars were black, and I probably wouldn’t have known if he didn’t tell me.

I’m still loving my Velcro big buck pads with steel inserts on my bashlins. Thinking of trying the new weaver pads but I’m in no rush. I own 4 sets of bashlins and a set of Klein’s. I only really wear the pair with the big bucks. The others are spares and I lend them to various people.

I loved the velcro wraps until I discovered the Caddies.

I loved the Caddies until I discovered the angled steel chin cups.

I gave or sold my Caddies to Burnham, IIRC.

Velcro wraps are difficult to get tight and become corrupt with sawdust. Caddies are HUGE and BULKY!!! Shin cup pads are just right!

I'm only talking about the ones I have experience. And I hated the Euc pads. Huge, hot, and heavy. They were #4.

We really should acknowledge that spurs and especially spur pads, are just about as subject to personal preference as the other most strongly personal preference piece of climber gear...that being saddles.

I love Geckoes, Butch hated them...just a single example. I'm both vain enough about my own abilities, and appreciative enough of Butch's skills, to state with little fear of argument that we are both top tier talent when it comes to climbing on gaffs. Both of us have well over 3 decades of experience.

So the bottom line is, what works a dream for climber x will often enough suck for climber z. That's the facts, ma'am.

Last edited:
So true! Gear is sooooo subjective to the individual! I always chuckle when I see someone ask "What's the best saddle!" :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know pads are personal since everyone's legs are sized and shaped different. I'm a pretty good size guy but I have skinny calves for some reason. The Geckos feel like a piece of 3 inch angle iron on my legs. They dig in pretty bad. My Bashlins have been good for a lot of years but I guess the pads are wearing out a little and starting to get twisted around back. I think something angled would fix that.

Back