Spur ascenders

frans

TreeHouser
Anyone here use them?
do you have clear pictures?
Thx
Ps: not interested in the why or internet type comments, simply asking this question.

The blue one (CMI I think) is from Mike Powers and the Petzl is RopeShield’s lashed on with throwline.
Been daydreaming about something similar too.
Worn the CT foot ascender like normal under my spurs before, it works.
72B4A9C6-4B3B-4CF8-B0F0-DF2DA29BBBED.jpeg 19AD102B-EF11-4E80-B5B8-1A0690F31B16.jpeg 2B39C46E-F6F1-4ABC-8508-AD7D5E92B760.jpeg

I wear an ascender under my spikes every time I wear them. Works well for me.

A mate has just got some Geckos and got the Kiwi Klimbers ascender fitted. He loves them.

I too wear my ascender (ISC Stryder) under my spikes, and have had no issues doing so. I have the CT Quick Tree asender and spur mount, but haven't seen the need to break them out as of yet.

I'm mostly a pruning guy, but I've got the kiwi climbers ascender. Helpful for me on the occasional removals because I'm so used to moving around trees on rope

I'm mostly a pruning guy, but I've got the kiwi climbers ascender. Helpful for me on the occasional removals because I'm so used to moving around trees on rope

I obviously use the pantin to climb the rope when needed but when I am spiking up a pole and my top anchor is already in. Clipping the chest harness to my RRP and putting the rope into the pantin just makes things so smooth.
Having it just under the spike doesn’t bother me one bit and it actually feels a bit weird when it isn’t on my boot as I have used that technique for years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
“Ouch”? “Get bit”?
confused......

background:
I made this because sometimes it comes in handy. Primarily with single line climbing.
on a removal, setting a single line to quickly get into the canopy using the SAKA.
then switch to doubled rope to work.

I tore my body apart flipping up trees. The hardest part was getting past the lower, loose bark section of the trunk.
single line ascent is a great way around this initial difficult stage of getting into the canopy.
I don’t have a Ropetek raptor which would be a great alternative.

Gerry, burnham, ???

Back in 1982, in an effort to make it easier to reach the old-growth canopy I bought some Gibb's ascenders. Following a pursuit that began in the early 1970s. And I'm glad to say it all worked out wonderful well.

During the transition the thought of adapting the ascenders to fit my spurs seemed quite logical. So I tried it and by golly it actually worked, and I swear that I never stuck myself with the points once while doing so, though the probability of sticking myself grew ever stronger in my mind that I eventually tossed the notion altogether. That's my story. May yours be as insightful as well.

With a little conscious effort the technique is safe but without conscious effort there lies a high potential for serious injury of gaffing oneself in the calf or ankle.

Least wear spur guards if your going to do it.

You're a good friend, Frans. Thank you.

Looks good to me.

Can bolt a piece of steel with a hole, or maybe a little bit of chain to the other one for the knee ascender too, like the Kiwi Klimber setup.
53137BFC-FEDD-4F8E-B4D3-0F9B842493F1.jpeg

With a little conscious effort the technique is safe but without conscious effort there lies a high potential for serious injury of gaffing oneself in the calf or ankle.

Least wear spur guards if your going to do it.

You're a good friend, Frans. Thank you.
I actually never thought about that! I could see how that could easily happen. Definitely wear a gaff guard

We had a thread about it years ago where Burnham, Gerry and I were warning about it.
I have a feeling most of the younger members thought we were a bunch of silly old duffers, who had forgotten how to live. :lol:

Frans have you ever considered other options to those top L or T pads you got on those spurs?

Frans have you ever considered other options to those top L or T pads you got on those spurs?
I could care less honestly.
these are good spurs, titanium. The pads are comfy.

Seriously? It never occurred to you, Frans? I sit here stunned.
Haven’t climbed in about 5 years. Made those for my main climber. She is an awesome chick, 130 lbs soaking wet. She can wrangle a 066 in the tree and prune like a master. I am truly lucky to have her help out on my jobs. The only drawback lately is her needing to be home more to home school her kids because of COVID bullshit.

Then you maybe ought to be looking out for her well being far better than that, Frans. Protect your asset, ya dumb bunny! She won't climb worth a toot with a gaff deep into her calf.

Meh, she will wear a gaff guard or I’ll take it back off

Back